“A Five-Star Wiener for REAL”

Dallas Hot Weiners II
Ranked #54 of 224 Restaurants in Kingston
Reviewed October 19, 2014

Dallas Hot Wieners is an 85 year plus family-owned business in my hometown of Kingston, NY. They now have expanded to multiple locations in Kingston, Saugerties, and even as far north as the Capital city of Albany, NY. Their original location is North Front St in Kingston, where I probably had my first Everything Dallas Hot Weiner, at about age 8 or 9, more than 40 years ago. When visiting my hometown area, I do my best to get to the original location if possible. During a current visit, schedule and a meeting of old friends took me to the satellite Kingston location on Broadway. Interestingly, the location of Dallas Hot Wieners II is in the same storefront of a former competitor (Uncle George’s) from about 30 years ago. The great thing about this location is it’s only a 5 minute-walk from Kingston High School. Many (if not most) KHS alumni have favored the counter for a lunch or after-school wiener.

In the 1980’s, the Kingston Wieners War raged as fans of both Dallas Hot Wieners and Uncle George’s touted one brand of Hot Wiener (with that special secret sauce) over another. They were both great, and never was there truly a Winner (or wiener). However, Uncle George’s eventually closed due to the ownership retiring and they took their wieners and secret sauce with them, thus Dallas Hot Wieners is now Truly the King and Surviving Champion of those long-ago Kingston Wiener wars.

My latest visit afforded me the opportunity to order four with everything. Nothing (with exception of a higher price, but still great at a $1.75 each) has changed. Each bite is savored and overwhelms the senses with flavors that can take one to days gone by of much simpler youthful times. The Wieners melt in your mouth. And, although four is a decent lunch amount, I could have easily knocked back ten and not blinked an eye as those smooth boiled dogs traveled from tongue and taste buds to stomach. But, I didn’t. I instead went with a side of fries, also covered with the secret sauce to satisfy my cravings for this spectacular hometown favorite. And lunch was not complete without a carton of the best local chocolate milk produced in the area.

I have had wieners in many places, and many parts of the country, but they can’t hold a condiment to the wieners in Kingston, NY. This include the cart dogs in NYC, or just outside Yankee Stadium that also melt in your mouth for double the price. They’re good because of where you are, but they’re not Dallas Hot Wieners (only 90 minutes North in the Hudson Valley). And, ironically, I now have access to NY System Wieners (as a transplanted Rhode Island resident). The land of Rhody call their wieners NY System, but you won’t find them ANYWHERE in the Empire State. The dog ends are cut off, and they are loaded with a sauce and lots of celery salt. Rhody loves ‘em, but when you have had the best, the rest are just pretenders.

Here’s looking to my next hometown visit for the best Wiener around. BTW...remember, CASH ONLY.

Date of visit: October 2014