“Not bad but more like an Olive Garden meal.”
Review of Savona's Trattoria

Savona's Trattoria
Ranked #10 of 210 Restaurants in Kingston
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I went here the night before we embarked on a journey down the hudson by boat to NYC for the 4th of July. The ambiance of the main dining room was great. The lighting was spot on, the noise was under control, everything was great. The service was a tad on the slow side but nothing upsetting, they were pretty busy so totally understandable. First of all, the wine prices by the bottle are great. I love not getting ripped on a bottle. For appetizers we shared the prosciutto wrapped and blue cheese stuffed figs. C'mon now, 2 figs cut in half?! They were absolutely tiny and practically got lost on the plate full of arugula and balsamic. If you are going to serve such a tiny portion do it a favor by presenting better so it doesn't look even smaller. Whatever, 4 bites for something like $7 and it wasn't remotely impressive. The calamari was frozen pre breaded, I know it when I eat it. I've been around the industry for years. That takes off points every time. The entrees were decent at best. I went with the bolognese with a scoop of ricotta. It is a basic dish and can be very very tasty. It was ok but not terribly flavorful. My wife got the chicken penne fresca. This is where you lost a TON of points. $17.95 and you have the guts to serve frozen chicken breast with squid ink fake grill marks?! You should be ashamed of yourselves. That is the stuff I pay $17.95 to avoid. I can get that at Olive Garden with never ending vomit sticks. Grill a piece of chicken, learn to cook! Boiling water for pasta isn't cooking. I had you at 3 stars until that junk came to the table. Ask your food salesman why he is allowing you to buy that trash. Its full of pump and sodium. Do you eat that at home? Buy a case of breast, break them down, and grill them off. Unless the price of chicken is through the roof it will save you money and taste better. I get the portion control thing and the ability to cost out each dish but that dinner was worth $9.95 tops because of that chicken. Its a diner food not something I expect at a restaurant with Trattoria in the name. Sorry but people are going to your restaurant expecting one thing and getting another. All the accolades and reviews in the world don't make up for cheap pre prepared frozen food. You have a beautiful space in a great location. I hope next time I am in town I can go there and find fresh ingredients being prepared professionally. I don't think your Nonna would approve of the corners you are cutting!

2  Thank Chris W

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Summary: Overall horrible experience from beginning to end. Service was unprofessional, unfriendly, and inattentive. None of the staff smiled at us even once. Food was not even as good as Olive Garden and I hate Olive Garden (and any chains, generally.)
Nobody ever asked if we wanted drink or water refills - we had to flag someone down when we did want/need them.

The details: My wife and I had a 7:30 reservation for an outdoor table. We arrived a couple of minutes before our reservation and they said it would be a few minutes for our table. I looked around, and saw that none of the parties were finished eating. In fact, it looked like most had just been seated. So I told the hostess that since it didn't look like anyone was leaving anytime soon, we'd take first available. I also expressed disappointment that an outdoor table was not likely to be ready anytime soon. Her reply: "We don't guarantee outdoor tables," like I had no right to have expected an outdoor table in the first place. Gee thanks for that. An apology or acting like you cared might have been nice.

We ordered as soon as we got our drinks, which we had to wait for. We were told "bread will be right out." After about 15 minutes we flagged down another staff person to ask for bread, which someone else did bring, and just plopped down on the table. Some of the garlic spread was on the outside of the bowl. Quite messy. We waited awhile longer for our house salads.

When our meals came, my wife said hers (chicken parm) wasn't hot. She also said the sauce tasted like Ragu out of the jar. I had lobster ravioli in a vodka cream sauce, and the sauce was thicker than any I've ever had, and that's not a compliment. I'm used to a much lighter sauce when I get lobster ravioli. And the flavor was "meh." Presentation of both dishes left everything to be desired.

A big complaint is that our waitress never once came over to check on us, ask us if everything was OK, ask if we needed anything. She was not at all personable at any time during the meal. So, I left only 10% tip, which is hard for me to do, because I ALWAYS leave at least 20%. Service has to be very poor for me to leave 10%

In the end, neither my wife nor I have any clue why this restaurant has such high ratings. Service was terrible. Food was "meh" at best. The atmosphere was non-existent. We were expecting a nice restaurant because of the TripAdvisor ratings, and so we saved this for our last night of vacation. Unfortunately, it did not deliver.

3  Thank Kathy D
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Just had an enjoyable lunch here sitting outside. The service was great as was the food. Nice not to have music blaring too loudly in the background. Will definitely visit here again before we head back to Australia.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Might be a little out of the way if you're staying in Kingston but well worth the trip to this historic district by the old port. Charming place, had an excellent waiter, the food was very good and plentiful and you can't go wrong with the price - I made the right choice and so should you.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We made a reservation there for Father's Day because the website made the place sound family friendly, and even had a cute picture of a dad and baby with the special menu. Firstly, the pretty young hostess could barely manage a smile when we arrived, and when we asked if they had a children's menu (the kids were hungry and we wanted to order for them right away) she made no attempt to hide her exasperation that they "needed to print up some more". Luckily, our server was a big improvement, and when we asked again for a children's menu he found one and also some coloring sheets and crayons, which was nice. The garlic breadsticks were tasty, but hard on the stomach afterwards so eat with care. The gorgonzola stuffed figs were good as was the linguini with white clam sauce, but it's unlikely we'll be back.