“good location... worth it if you arent picky”

Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Mamaroneck, New York
“good location... worth it if you arent picky”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

This area is gorgeous - its a 15 min drive to the main entrance to the lake minnewaska state park which has beautiful trails. But as you quickly realize once you drve through new paltz is that the area is a bit depressed. alot of shake houses and run down businesses. http://www.lakeminnewaska.org/
When you arrive here the first thing you notice is that it looks like a sin! There is something so wrong about a big block of cement sitting in the middle of beauty. When we arrived (for a weekend with other women) the lobby looks nice but it is FULLY carpeted and sort of smells like dirty old carpet. We went to our room and we were sort of grossed out but oh well its just a room we didnt want to make a big stink. But carpeting was bad and there was a cigarette hole in the wall. The ac was beyond loud! The beds smelled clean but i couldnt help but just think 'BED BUGS' while i was laying in the bed. The bathrooms were very clean and well maintained but nothing sparkly new about them.
We had a meal plan included for our weekend and for the most part the food was good. Nothing great. But nothing really bad. I will say the service was awesome. Every person who works in this hotel was friendly and helpful.
If you werent picky and you got a great deal- like under 90 a night i would say this isnt a terrible place to rest your head while exploring the area. It just isnt a place to go to and think you can just enjoy being in a hotel or "resort" as this place calls itself. There is an indoor pool that kids would enjoy but that is dated too. The spa includes free jaccuzzi and steam room but that wasn't set up like a real spa either. The outdoor pool was closed because we were here in march but i though in the summer it coudl be fun.

Room Tip: chcek out your room first and switch to a room if you see things like cigarette butts in walls
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank lovinthesunLISA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

I had never heard of this place before but I like to do research before I am traveling so I took a look at the pictures and based on that I was excited to stay here but looks can be deceiving as I quickly discovered.

Lobby
--------
Very nice looking and big. It grabs you the minute you walk in. Couches are comfortable and it's a nice ambiance to just sit and chill.

Rooms
-------
In all fairness, I'm sure they have nice rooms here but when I was here, we had a crappy room . And that's not an exaggeration. First off, it took me 10 minutes to get the door open and once I did I noticed that the wood from the door is dead and old which is why it was tough to open. Then, once in the room, the ceiling was coming apart from years of moisture. The TV is a joke because there's no cable and whatever cable they do have doesn't come in so clear (odd).. Worse: No WI-FI in the room. In fact, the only place you can get internet is in the lobby..

----
We brought our own caterer in so can't comment on this.

The Property
--------------
The property itself and the surrounding areas are very nice and serene however we had to fight with the GM to fill the outdoor pool with water as was promised to us. He refused so we did it ourselves in a 24 hr span.

I can't say that I would stay here with friends but I was here with an entire group for Memorial day so there was that unfourtentley, there was a group 3X's as large that was staying here as well so they got the better deal: They got the ballroom and better rooms while we ate our meals in the lounge..Also, they were very rowdy and when I approached the front desk to ask them to quiet down, well, let's just say I wasn't spending any relaxing time there.

Also, the elevators are the old fashioned ones where only 2 at a time could fit in. What the hell ? When I was there, they claimed they recently had a major renovation but they could have fooled me because if this is what they call a renovation well then it's amazing they haven't closed down yet.

Speaking of which, they have a game room downstairs near the indoor pool but none of it was working at the time.

It's now 9 months later and I'm heading back there for President's Weekend. Here's hoping I have a better experience this time around.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank EzzyKlein

Travelers are raving about these Kerhonkson hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have recently been to this hotel for a very nice conference. This would be the only reason I'd ever stay there. The surroundings are beautiful even at 6 degrees F. However, the hotel itself could use a real makeover.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Haaretz
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

My husband surprised me with New Year's eve at this property. Frankly, after reading the reviews and seeing the pictures, I was nervous and really not excited.

As it turns out, we had a very nice time. The staff is exceptionally friendly, helpful and willing to help at all costs. Whoever does the hiring is doing a good job.

The food on New Year's Eve was plentiful and quite good. I had the filet mignon and it was excellent. The breakfast was good--satisfactory, but fine.

The room was located in the tower--which might have nicer rooms that some of the other people mentioned, not sure. Our room was fine--basic and clean. The bathrooms had been redone.

The spa was fine with a nice hot tube in the men's and another in the woman's side with a steam room etc. The swimming pool didn't look terribly clean so I didn't go in it but lots of other people did.

My 17 year old son came with his friend and they had a ball. In fact, they didn't want to leave. My only suggestion is that they should consider having a separate New Year's Eve party for the teenagers.

I'm not going to tell you that this is the greatest place on earth, but we had a nice time and I might consider returning.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Tower
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank jill1jill
Kingston, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

We recently hosted a party at the HVR. The staff was absolutely fabulous, helpful friendly. We understood going in that they are still sprucing up the place, and we're pleased with the progress in restoring this wonderful place to it's former glory. We were so happy we booked more parties with them and can't wait to go back. The value and service far surpassed our expectations.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PetersonGroup
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

Beautiful, Clean, Dog Friendly,excellent food,excellent entertainment. Great service workers. We loved it & will return.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank mark Nik f
Sharon, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

First of all let me explain that I am a house concert presenter. Every year the Folk Alliance has a conference there. The check-in is easy. There is a warm welcoming open room with a bar on the side and a grand piano in the middle. They have a showroom and I think of all the old time comedians who had been there. The room is comfortable and the view of the mountains is to die for. The bathrooms are modern and the water pressure is good. I didn't use the spa. The only negative is that it is slightly frayed around the edges.

Room Tip: make sure you are facing the mountains and not the parking lots
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank banjoman1948
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Minnewaska Lodge
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Hampton Inn Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Hudson Valley Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!