“"An Honest Perspective..."” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
NY
“"An Honest Perspective..."”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed for a weekend in Sept' 08. Overall, we made the best of it, and tried to stay positive throughout our stay. I have stayed at Roseland Ranch before, but because of the recent developments there, we booked a trip here instead.

I will give you an honest evaluation of the Resort. From the outside, the property is pretty nice. The area surrounding the pool is probably the best kept, when you walk elsewhere (Rock Climbing or Playground/Outside Mini Golf) they seem to be in need of some cleaning and landscaping.

The lobby when I walked in had a musky odor that was pretty strong, I understand this is a horse ranch and there is a difference between "rustic" and "musky" and this was definitely the latter. The check in staff was nice, had a smile, worked fast and gave you descent instruction on how to go to your room, and the events, as well as signing up for horseback rides.

When we went to the room, it seemed ok. We had a nevada room which was enough for the two of us. The room was renovated (more on that later) recently, and was fairly clean (some carpet stains, a little dust here and there) beds were a little on the saggy side, but not terrible. The bathroom was very basic, clean though.

The overall facility is a weird set up with different levels for each area. It is kind of a trek to get where you want to go, but not terrible. We did do some exploring, but it was to become more familiar with the property, for the misguided, finding the stables or the lake, could be a challenge.

The Food:

We'll here it goes, started off descent and got worse from there. As others have said, you don't get served soda, You get water at dinner, but you have to ask for ice tea or juice. It almost seems like they don't want to serve you drinks.

The first night you started off with a small bowl of salad. I chose London broil served with gravy and mashed potato, small portion though, but it tasted good, a little salty but not terrible, came as cooked. Dessert was a choice of various puddings or brownie sundae. I chose the pudding which was kind of pathetic and the waiter brought me out a sundae instead which was ok. Brownie was a little bland and has a strange texture.

Breakfast was ok, pancakes, french toast, oatmeal, fruit and other sorts of items are served. Typical breakfast foods, nothing special.

Lunch was horrible, the area gets crowded quickly. You had a choice of hotdogs and hamburgers, which were ok, kind of tasted like mcdonalds. Another place called angelo's pizza and pasta served up frozen mini pizzas and overcooked pasta with a bland sauce. The sandwich shop was ok, but only served two types of sandwiches.

Dinner the second night was a joke! Like the other person said, we had the riblet dinner too, which my girlfriend ordered. It was a small piece of rib with happy face fries on a tiny plate. I ordered the chicken parm. Chicken Parm was a descent size and tasted ok, I asked the waiter to bring my girlfriend chicken parm instead and she gave her dinner to the other guest at our table who ordered the riblet. Its almost as if the waiter knew what he was serving was terrible.

We didn't bother going to breakfast the next day, we were both kind of feeling the effects of bad- cafeteria style food. One more thing, they say it's all you can eat, but they never ask you if you want seconds, and try to avoid you a bit.

Horseback Riding-

The wranglers were very nice and cordial, explained basics to each rider before you got on. I am an advanced rider and they had an advanced ride. The horses were well kept, and seemed to be happy for the most part, although they didn't have great control over the horses. One horse was up in the woods and was running through the horses on the beginner trail, while a wrangler shouted "shes gonna kill herself"(the horse) not what you want to say around children on a horse for the first time. They screen you before you go on your ride, which consists of you kicking your horse into the correct gait, if you fail, you try again. My horse wouldn't get into a cantor until the second evaluation. The wrangler told me, the horses tend to be stubborn through the evaluations, so it was typical for that to happen. The rides were short. You only did about maybe 20 minutes of riding. If a ride Started at 2pm by the time everyone was on their horse its was 2:20-2:30 and you rode out and came back by 3. You saw the same trail everytime and you did have to trek over some poor terrain.

The other activities were pretty poor. We played paintball, and that was a great time. Probably because it is done by an outside company and it was extra. Rock Climbing was worn, and small. The outdoor minigolf needed to be swept of tree debris. The playground and pool seemed to be in nice shape. Inside, lazer tag was flooded and on, and the indoor minigolf by the pool looked pathetic. The basement pool was so dark and poorly lit I didn't know how people were swimming in it.

Overall, I wouldn't go back. The place has potential, but needs a facelift.

• Liked — Nothing stands out
  • Disliked — The overall "cheap" feel to it
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AFD3115

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
nyc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2008

This place is a dump!!! When you first come in the smell of mold and mildew are overwhelming. The carpeting and furniture looks like it is about 80 years old. They had a schedule of events which the kids liked but I could have set up a bean bag toss at home. The pool is dank, the outdoor facilities are even worse. They made us wait about 30 minutes in a straight line with our horses before we were able to go out on the trail. The trail lasted about 20 minutes. The staff was not very friendly or accomodating. The room was gross, I would bring my own sheets if you decided to go. This place looks prime for bed bugs. The food sucks, but clearly that is not what you are there for. I must say my kids had a good time, but Rocking Horse Ranch is 1000 times better. I would rather have slept in a tent then in the room they gave us, right above the "disco". Very scary place.

• Liked — when we left
  • Disliked — where do I begin. It smelled, the place is totally run down
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank pgsucks
lawyerette55
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

We just went for a Girl Scout weekend. To be fair, the place was mobbed with hundreds of hyped up kids. However, it still left something to be desired.

Breakfasts were pretty good, dinner was pretty bad. One night I ordered the pork riblet. I got one riblet, about 2 x4 inches that was mostly bone. The only other thing I got on the plate was some french fries shaped into happy faces. That may work for the kids but not for me. There wasn't even one vegetable offered on the menu that night.

We had 2 double beds. There were cots so we were able to avoid having to have to share to some extent but that was a good thing since one of the mattresses had the consistency of a very old marshmallow and a hollow in the center that was at least 6-8" deep. It was a killer for adult backs and sharing with another adult would have meant I wouldn't be able to get up the next day.

Cleanliness could have been improved. I checked the girls rooms as part of check out and found paper receipts from months ago under the beds. My plate was greasy when I picked it up for the breakfast buffet. I have a problem with that even at the price that was charged.

The staff had an area where they went to smoke and the odor drifted down the hall and into the rooms. Not what we're trying to teach the girls about the hazards of smoking.

There were certainly items that needed replacing. Our chair was arms that were worn through. But, this isn't The Hilton and I didn't expect it.

The rides were OK. With all the kids they lasted about 20 minutes by the time you were done getting everyone in the saddle and out of the corral. I've stayed at other dude ranches and they were certainly a lot longer. The trail was quite rocky and had a number of fallen tree limbs. For some of the beginners it was rather scarry. I would have liked to have seen something except the same trail on every ride but I know they were trying to run the rides through as fast as possible to give the maximum number of girls a chance to ride.

There were a lot of activities and the staff was really nice. One of the wranglers spent a lot of time with my 6 year old and she really loved that. The girls had fun with the obstacle course, climbing wall and outdoor pool. The indoor pool is old. If you are expecting gleaming new, this isn't it but it was OK.

Overall, the girls loved the weekend and that's what really matters but I think I won't be bringing my family here. I think I'd rather go camping and find a local stable for riding. At least I know that my pop up is clean.

• Liked — Staff was good
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and food
  • Stayed September 2008
2 Thank lawyerette55
NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

We went to this "ranch" in Sept 08 for a girl scout weekend and found the place to be less than we expected to find.

Upon walking in the front door you are greeted by a musty smell which continues on into the rooms. The room that we were assigned had two double beds and a single bed. One of the double beds was sagging so badly I would estimate that there was a 6 inch divot in the middle. You couldn't possibly have two people sleep on it. One of the girls in our troup had a bad reaction to the mold in the rooms and got sick while we were there. When the kids filled up the bath tub to take a bath the water in the tub was brown.

Review by the items:
rooms - bad - smell musty, need new mattresses, one of the drawers in the dresser was literally falling apart
Pools both indoor and outdoor - nice
rock climbing wall - so old that the grips are worn off and it is hard to climb
volley ball court. - net is sagging and ripped - completely missing the bottom edge - the pine grove person assigned to teach volleyball knew nothing about it
grounds - a little dingy
archery - very small space - not good for groups which they are advertising to. They only had enough arrows for each girl to shoot 3. The targets look like they have been through a war - need more arrows and new targets
horses - nice but they only load them one person at a time - not group friendly
petting zoo area - pleasant, but not well kept
hay ride to lake - nice
fishing at lake - nice
paddle boats at lake - nice - dock is extremely rickety - be careful
food - ok (at best), but certainly not the variety they had in the sample menu
dining room - too small - not capable of handling a crowd - had to wait a long time to get a seat
laser tag - only takes 8 at a time every half hour (16 an hour) - not group friendly. Many of the guns do not work. The weekend we were there half of the area was blocked off because the floor was wet.
shuffleboard - all the sticks were worn off on the ends - need new ones. Many of the pucks are cracked in need of replacement
bullroom - disco - ok, but too loud - may daughter would not stay it was too loud for her

Overall the place is dingy and run down. It has potential, but someone needs to refurbish the place. The activities are not designed to efficiently handle the groups they are trying to appeal to. For adults the place is a dump. For kids it seems ok although if your child has mold allergies you do not want to go here

• Liked — the pools
  • Disliked — everyting else
  • Stayed September 2008
2 Thank fabfuzz
Brick NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

Just got back from pinegrove. I looked at reviews before I went so when we got there I was not shocked. The place is Old and dirty dirty. The Horses are well kept and the ride was nice never had a hard time riding. Outdoor pool is nice food just ok . My kid liked it. Would I go back No. Would I tell friends to go no .

• Liked — horses
  • Disliked — room
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank highhope9795
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008

Yearning for that special vacation get away where there are activities all day and into the evening to interest everyone in your family? Where all the meals, snacks, and treats keep on coming…at no extra cost? Where mom and dad don't have to lift a finger unless they want to lift a cold one? Where there’s a complimentary children’s program so mom and dad can kick back and, umm, relax together? Want to be able to get there without spending a fortune in transportation costs? How about someplace that’s not just a constant commercial to spend, spend, spend!! Want to get to know your kids better and make some incredible memories? Then Pinegrove Ranch might be what you’ve been looking for! It is for my family.

Having 4 kids in 5 1/2 years made finding vacation spots a tricky endeavor for us. My family has been to a variety of those large theme parks and lots of other vacation spots over the years. The problem was that those kinds of places weren’t a vacation for us parents! What’s a family to do?

Go to Pinegrove Ranch, a rustic nugget near the Catskill Mountains. My family can drive there in about 6 hours, and it’s like a ‘land cruise’ - one price and you’re all set to enjoy all you can eat, drink, relax and play! There’s a daily activities schedule with stuff to do from 8am to 10pm – a wide variety of fun things to do all over the ranch so that there are no huge crowds to deal with at Pinegrove.

There are other families with kids of all ages at Pinegrove Ranch and we always end up meeting folks we enjoy at the pool or activities. Guests would stop by the ping pong tables (outside and inside) and ask my sons for a pick up game of ping pong, or we’d meet kids and adults at the trivia games – and laugh about who was winning (or losing) …really fun!

There’s an enormous pasture not far from the lodge where they have the rock climbing wall, volleyball, night time campfires, sing alongs and marshmallow roasts. I have great photos of my kids roasting marshmallows! Outside the rear of the lodge there’s a fountain area, grassy area, the pool, drink hut, deck, and behind that is the mini golf, playground, archery range, and basketball area. On the other side of the lodge there is a slate patio and seating. There is a narrow road that separates the lodge from the stables, petting zoo, and pond and there is a crossing guard to ensure guest safety. And guess who begs dad to go fishing at the pond? My 11 year old daughter! Who knew?

Pinegrove Ranch is so spacious yet it feels like we’re at someone’s house when we’re there… ok, a big house with a 600 acre yard…but it feels so homey and safe. We’ve been going back for several years. Used to, we put our younger kids in the free day camp program; they'd do art and crafts, go on hayrides and more. However, now that the kids are a bit older (11 to 17 years) I can give them freedom to roam around and plug in to whatever activity they want to do on the ranch without worrying about them being lost or worse. You can't do that at a big theme park or the beach!

The ranch allows my family to decompress and really focus on relaxing and having fun. We loved joining the activities and games led by the social director – and even won some “Pinegrove Dollars” to spend in the gift store. We also enjoyed just hanging out together and doing whatever struck our fancy. This year my boys chummed around with other teens they met and played ping pong, air hockey and billiards. And my daughter and I got to ride horses together...breath taking views.... and spend lots of time enjoying the pool and water slides. All of us usually took in the wholesome nightly entertainment at the ranch – something different each night and it’s good!

We like that Pinegrove Ranch is family owned and operated. It’s not uncommon to see the friendly owner greeting and talking with guests. Pinegrove Ranch has been open 35 years but don’t worry, it’s in great shape – they’re constantly making capital improvements on the ranch and in the rooms. Our rooms were clean, nicely decorated and huge -- each room had 2 bunk beds, a king and a queen bed. All six of us could have comfortably stayed in one room, but we had two rooms. The grounds are well kept and this year there is a new "kick-back corral" which is a large deck with Adirondack chairs under shaded trees where there’s music, games, and free grilled goodies at certain times every day. We can't wait to see the planned improvements for next summer!

The meals are better than I remembered and this year the dining room was totally redesigned and has good looking booths, tables, and those nice cowboys and cowgirls who serve breakfast and dinner. Breakfast is especially nice since fewer people dine at that time – too stuffed from the night before most likely! The new food court open for lunch is a great idea and offers a variety of food choices including pizza, pasta, salads, and remarkably good hero sandwiches—all free!

And the Chuck Wagon grill is still there and is open most of the day/night including lunch time. The Calistoga wagon that used to adorn the wall is gone but the Chuck Wagon grill still serves up fresh fruit, juice, lemonade, burgers, veggie burgers, fries, soft serve ice cream, slushies and hot chocolate—again all free. It’s a joke in our family that if we can’t find son number three, we just go to the Chuck Wagon and find him there holding a cup of hot chocolate and sporting a hot chocolate moustache. In fact we have a picture of him in front of the Chuck Wagon grill (when the Calistoga wagon was still on the wall) from when he was about 9 years old with a hot chocolate in one hand, soft serve ice cream in the other, and a big chocolate smile on his face!

We’re just one of many families who vacation at Pinegrove Ranch, but each time we are there, the staff finds a way to make us feel special ….on several occasions they have upgraded our rooms at no extra cost; this year staff went out of their way to recognize my son’s 17th birthday. Not long after we got home, we received a very nice letter from the owner thanking us for our stay. We’ve taken our family to a bunch of places, parks, beaches and cruises, but it’s Pinegrove Ranch that we love and all four of my kids ask to go back to.

• Liked — One price for lodging, food, all activities, entertainment and horseback riding.
  • Disliked — Prices have gone up - but that's the case everywhere I guess
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

You can read reviews both positive and negative and not know what to believe but what I can tell you that is the definite truth - ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BELIEVE THE PICTURES IN THE BROCHURES ! ! !

My family decided to go to Pinegrove based on the pictures and the price of the vacation. I can tell you that our vacation was not worth the $2,000 that we spent for four days! ! ! We have been told that Rocking Horse is at least double but I wouldn't have spent $4,000 for four days - I would have spent the money to go to Disney instead.

THE ROOMS - We had a Dakota room which was supposed to be one of the largest rooms available, accomodating up to 7 people. We had 5 and trust me, it was not enough room. The storage alone to put your clothes away was way too small. The cleanliness of the room makes you want to keep your clothes in the suitcase anyway. The wallpaper was wilting off the walls and in the bathroom, it was even stapled to the walls above the shower. The shower head was so filthy and cruddy, I was amazed the water was able to come out of it. The best was the toilet paper holder - it had more rust on it than paper ! There were signs on the mirror that encouraged the guests not to steal the towels/linens, that the maids would incur the charges if they were taken. Don't worry, the linens can stay there. They don't even leave enough towels out for each person to take a shower anyway. The floors were never vacuumed, I found a receipt under my bed that was from a guest who stayed there two months prior to us!

THE FOOD was just o.k. - you can have as much as you want but it was not four or even three star quality. I'm sure most of it was frozen and thawed out.

ACTIVITIES - The listed itinerary of activities seems plentiful in the brochure but when you get there, you'll be disappointed. The fishing was just o.k. - you had to pay $2 if you wanted a cup of live worms, our family never went into the paddleboats because the lake, each day of our stay, was so green and murky that we were too afraid to touch the water. They give you a hayride - the driver was the best part - but don't expect to see much - you just go thru a trail and see trees pretty much on both sides of you the whole time. The petting zoo for the kids is horrendous - you are walking thru piles of animal feces. The animals weren't even that friendly - probably too scared. You are charged if you want to give the animals an ice cream cone with pellets in it. We were able to get on a trail ride - but let me tell you that you will not see the rolling green pastures that they show in the brochure with all the people happy on their horses! The other activities, for example, the lazer tag, the rock wall and the archery left alot to be desired. The indoor pool area was in a basement and very dark. The spotlight they put on the indoor mini golf area was way too low to even see yourself playing. The pool smelled very, very chlorinated and unsafe to swim in.

Unlike the brand new moulding that we saw in our hallways and in the nightclub, updates galore are definitely needed at all locations. Someone sure got their priorities mixed up when they figured where to start spending their money on the building. They also should add a room that activities can be held in, instead of in the lobby area (example, Bingo, Line Dancing, Karaoke, etc.)

If you are not concerned about cleanliness and food quality, then the price may be the only thing that attracts and keeps you there.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the dirty room we stayed in
2 Thank twogirlz1boy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!