“Best Horseback Lesson Ever!”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Staten Island, New York
“Best Horseback Lesson Ever!”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Went for all the fun advertised activities however I really have to single out the riding lesson my daughter and I received with Wrangler Mike! Although I love horses and really wanted to go on a trail, in the past have had two bad riding experiences (other locations) and was extremely anxious about going riding.

When I first got on the horse I immediately got very nervous to the point that I wanted to get off and not continue with the trail. Although not scheduled to take me on the guided tour Wrangler Mike observed just how anxious I was and came to me, walking aside me and keeping me on the horse. Remember he had a comforting voice and way about him, he was able to calm me down and take my daughter and I out on the trail. He was amazing not only was he able to get me on the trail (graveled path) but he also took us into the woods on a bit more of an adventure.

Had a blast and thanks to him really enjoyed the day, and gace me more confidence to the point where I am very much looking forward to the next trip! Will always remember him, thank you Wrangler Mike : )

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Darlene M
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
We have a great crew down at the barn, they really care about the horses and guests! Cowboy Mike has had a very positive impact on the entire riding program; adding private lessons, BBQ tail rides, sunset rides and more!

Thanks for being our guests,

David - Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We booked this with a Groupon as a surprise for my son's 9th birthday and everything was just a big disappointment. I called the day before we arrived to confirm our reservation and to mention it was his surprise birthday trip, I had read on the Trip Advisor reviews here multiple times that they had put balloons in kids rooms to surprise them upon check in for birthdays, well there were no balloons. We also never saw any of the numerous families pictured having fun on their website photos, just hundreds of groups of kids and teenagers on bus trips. In fact I think our waitress told us there were four hundred guest staying there that night, most of them noisy pushy unsupervised teenagers. All those people made for ridiculously long lines at lunch at a counter that was only open limited hours. Dinner wasn't much better The food was disgusting. Horrible. Everything at the table was sticky and there were crumbs everywhere. They did have a comedian performing in the downstairs lounge and he was the highlight of the evening. Our room was motel quality and was clean. It was recently renovated and you can see they are trying to update the property. But the outdoor pool water was green, the indoor miniature golf course was dumpy, the arrows on the archery range had no feathers, the shuffle board discs were all cracked and the poles were bent. On our second day, Sunday. all of the buses left around 4pm, leaving only 10 guest staying at the resort. The front desk person refused to open the downstairs lounge bar so my husband and I could get a drink, saying there were too few guest now to bother opening the bar. Once the buses left they had no activities going on for the guests except a bonfire. The dinner the second night was somewhat better, I guess because they had less to cook for, but it still was one of the worst meals I've ever had. Everything, even the eggs at breakfast just tasted off. The horses were very well cared for and the guides were very nice, it was my children's first time riding horses and they were very gentle. It's a shame because we were so excited to surprise my son with this trip but in the end we couldn't wait to leave because the food was just awful and it was way too crowded with loud pushy groups. We were hoping this was a place we would want to return to every year, but sadly we will not.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank RoomServiceMe
Unfortunately when making a reservation through a third party reservation system, our reservationist are unable to steer you towards dates that would be a better fit. We do accept student groups during the last week of May and for the first two weeks of June. Our Summer Season, July and August, is all families and would have been a better time for you to visit.

3 Night Holidays, Traditional Holiday Weeks and Summer are 100% Families!

Please contact me directly at the Ranch, I would like to get your family back in the saddle at a time without groups.

David - Owner

Travelers are raving about these Kerhonkson hotels

Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 13, 2014

we just spent a week at pinegrove and had a great time. the room we stayed in was updated from last year and looked a lot nicer. there was as always plenty to do for the kids. The wranglers have spent a lot of time and effort opening up trails that have been closed for years, which is really a nice change. The barn and the horse looked great(which I think is the reason you come to a dude ranch, not for the rooms). All the staff at the hotel and the barn were very friendly and helpful. If you are looking to stay in a 5 star resort , this isn't the place for you . But if you are looking to stay in a small family friendly hotel that is affordable and fun stay here. Only complaint I had was they did away with the 24 hour coffee and slushies. being someone who gets up early I like to make my own coffee at my own time. It was nice to walk down to the lobby and grab a cup and go. And the slushies were a favorite of my kids.

Room Tip: stay in Dakota those room seem to be the newer ones
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for being a "Returning Guest", we would not survive without all the guests that come back year after year.

In order to offer some great reduced pricing this year, we had to cut back on a few of the included items; coffee and slushies. We still offer free coffee during Breakfast & Dinner but the rest of the time, it's for sale at the Starbucks Café in the Lobby.

Barn has been getting better everyday, glad you noticed!

Thanks again!

Farmingdale
Reviewed July 12, 2014

If you can overlook the food, which was terrible, and the rooms, which look nothing like the website- there are tons of things for the kids to do. My kids had an absolute blast. But I was, for lack of a more mature term, grossed out. The lunch, which we could only get at the snack bar was disgusting. And our room which was the "Wyoming" smelled like mildew. The staff was moderately polite. The one shining star was the activities director. He was great with the kids.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Tonysgal215
Pinegrove is not for "foodies" that's for sure, however I'm not sure we deserve a "terrible" mark. Let's be straight, how does our free soft ice cream differ from a place that charges $3.00 a cone? Our sandwiches are made fresh right in front of you to your liking, nothing fancy - just ham, roast beef, turkey, bologna and cheese. It's basic lunch, no additional charge and the new salad bar seems very popular. Again, it's a dude ranch...anything more than burgers and dogs for lunch is plus in my book. Pinegrove has over 20 lunch items for lunch, enough to meet most families needs.

Breakfast - just like any diner - eggs, omelets, French toast , Pancakes, Bacon, etc...not sure what could be so "terrible" with this meal.

Dinner - we changed things up this year and most guests like the changes. Family style Hoedown twice a week, carving stations in the dining rooms other nights. Nothing fancy - Ribs, Chicken, roast Turkey, etc..

We will keep doing our best and hope to have a second chance with your family,

Levittown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We had a wonderful time at Pinegrove. My two boys had plenty of activities and fun things to do. The horses and animals in the petting zoo were friendly and lovable, just taking the walk over to see them in the morning was a relaxing time. The rooms could use a little tlc but you're not in the room that often. We even took a ride over to a state park for one afternoon and hiked around a waterfall and lake. I would highly recommend this hotel/resort for a long family weekend. To end every night relaxing by the fire was just heavenly.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back away from the lobby have started to be renovated.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tammi G
Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Please make sure you read this review and seriously consider cancelling your trip if you are already planning one or choose another destination. I truly couldn't believe the condition of their hotel and it is a shame that people waste their hard earned money to go here. I had mildew on my shower, the pool was brown and the worst part was there was brown water coming out of the faucets that actually turned the wash cloth a different color while bathing my child. I understand if the place is ran with well water but clearly something is not right for the water to be brown. I am not a food snob I like a wide variety of things but the food was terrible. The lunch area was so unappealing that I just skipped that meal while I was there. The only good thing about this place was the comedian at night and the horseback riding which is supposed to be an hour trail but instead was a half hour. Do not go to the dude ranch, I promise you, you will be highly unsatisfied!! I left in the middle of my stay and went to a lovely resort called SunnyHill Farm instead.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
14 Thank Christina B
Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Had a great time at the ranch, There have been many improvements . Check in was quick and efficient, The room I requested was honored and also renovated!
Food was much better than in the past, The new carving station is there and The new rolls are excellent, no more of the stale cut pieces, every night was fresh and good. The salad bar is a nice addition especially if you have the after lunch ride.Everything was fresh and Ashley did a great job checking to make sure everything was filled and everyone was happy!!The snack bar lines are crazy with the new soda cups and the single order sandwich making. (would be great to see them pre make the popular ones and put them in the case as they did in the past...made the line move quicker, I waited 35 minutes and gave up. So I am very excited about the new salad bar..Great french dressing included!!
The room had been upgraded with a new floor and my housekeeper Gail was exceptional. She went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect.
The new trails that have been opened were amazing, every time you go out there is a new trail to explore . The barn was spotless!! The horses looked great, The wranglers were attentive , helpful and friendly.
Mike is doing a great job and things were flowing smoothly. The grounds looked beautiful and the hallway air conditioners seem to be fixed and working well. Alot of improvements since last year with more to come.
A few things that would be nice to see fixed are. The bathroom by the barn or at least a few port a potties for the guests. The rooms are too far to have to run back to the lobby or your room, alot of the guests were looking for a bathroom also.
With the electronic keys it would be nice to be be able to leave a credit card number or cash and be able to charge on your card, alot of the times when you are at the pool you do not carry cash, but, you always have the room key.
The silver dollar really needs the entertainment back, Stephanie and Nicole were great. I did hear a few people mention that they didn't even know it was there, so a sign with arrows from the lobby may be helpful in getting guests in there. The 2 for 1 hour is also a great addition.
Love the new fire pit, much better location and can be enjoyed by all now that is so close. Although I was traveling solo, you never feel alone there as the staff is one of the best assets and make you feel very welcome!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ROBIN V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Minnewaska Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!