“Will not be returning”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I was extremely disappointed on how much Pinegroove has changed and not for the better. There check in procedures are a nightmare, you can't get additional rides with the horses unless you spend all day on stand by. Their rooms are falling apart, they smell and not fully cleaned. Originally advise staff that I needed to make sure they would be able to accommodate a child who only eats chicken and was told no problem. First day of arrival had to go out to town to make sure my daughter was fed. I have to admit they immediately made sure that my daughter was taken car of the remainder of the stay. Very dissatisfied will not be returning.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank ClaudiaG1972

Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here from may 4 to the 8th I love the location of the place I like that its different from the city when I arrived there was a problem with my card it has been declined I was stressing I was with my toddler who got car sick and it would be hard for us to travel back four hours im not sure if it was the owner or the manager who told us not to worry to go to the room and call the bank in the morning it was my birthday on the day we arrived they had the room nice and decorated with balloons and also a present that was nice of them. I liked the food the activities the horseback riding and the lake the room was nice I just dint like that my son spilled he's drink and housekeeping dint change the sheets they put the sheets with the stain back on. There was a lot of grown ups and they were so nice to my son also they had a day care which was nice I would have to say that I loved everything about the place it was our first time going we would go back the only thing I did not like and I hope the fire her was the bartender from cocktail hour she just so unprofessional has an attitude looks like she hates her job she looks like she dont like dealing with people I really hope that next time I go she's not there also I love our waitress she was from table 7 also (dont forget to tip them) they treated us so nice also they would ask me if I want it something special for my son to eat it was nice if you go you would definitely enjoy it thanks pinegrove for making my family vacation the I hope next time I go its a lot more hot you would not regret going

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Lisy C
Reviewed May 8, 2014

The overall exterior and interior look of the property is OK. At our arrival we were given the wrong room key by Jeff. Finally we got into the room and the first thing I usually do is change the sheets and check the bathroom. All the fitted sheets were inside out. After a closer look all the fitted sheet were from a locate medical center. Went to the bathroom, took the tape off the toilet and human fecies was in the toilet. We called the front desk to have a supervisor come to our room. While waiting Ruby, a housekeeper, cleaned the toilet without using Clorox or disinfectant and went to find the housekeeper (Gail) responsible for cleaning our room. Gail arrived with her supervisor Mary and general manger Jeff. Gail stated she cleaned the room and someone went back into the room after she cleaned it, took a poop and place the tape back on the toilet. Jeff gave us a complimentary battle of low end wine for our troubles. WOW. The positives: Food is provided throughout the day. Not the best tasting food but its food. Several activities to into. Ryan, the activity coordinator is wonderful....PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO TIP HIM.

Room Tip: I have no tips
8  Thank Kenny H
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This place is fun and has potential. But housekeeping is lacking badly. We found underwear in our bedroom! The food court area is stomach churning, dusty and grim. Thankfully the sit down dinning hall is clean, service is very good and food is good and plentiful. Night entertainment is fun for the kids. Bonfire is cozy and beautiful. Horse riding fun for kids (bring your helmet so you don't risk using common ones.) Cleanup and be great!

Room Tip: Ask for those without carpets.
3  Thank MaritereA
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I recently visited Pinegrove Ranch, for our annual Spring Break trip. The improvements they have made, and continue to make, were evident almost immediately. Many of the rooms already had hardwood floors installed, and the rest are being done continually until the entire hotel is updated. They look amazing! They have finally changed the dining room menu, and I think it really works! They have a rotating menu, which is listed on their website, which includes carving stations and family style dining menus. It was a very pleasant surprise, as the food is the one thing I have consistently struggled with over the many visits I've made. The main reason we visit Pinegrove is for the horse-back riding, and that was, as always, AMAZING! Mike and Jessica, along with their entire staff, continue to demonstrate what trail riding is all about: great horses, good times, and fun people. They've opened up some new trails, and filled in some older ones that the elements had taken a toll upon. When you spend an entire day riding, it's nice to have a little change of scenery. After the trail rides finished for the day, we enjoyed the nightly cocktail parties, with live music every night. It sets the tone for a real country-inspired evening. The Silver Dollar Saloon was our after dinner destination, again with live music to keep us entertained. I know reviews on this ranch have been mixed, but they have the best staff of anyplace I've ever visited, and the ongoing improvements will only continue to make it better. If you've been before, and were disappointed, it's definitely worth trying again! If you haven't been, what are you waiting for?

Room Tip: If you like peace and quiet, choose rooms in the Montana or Santa Fe rooms, as they are further from...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Our 3rd family trip to Pinegrove --- we traveled during April vacation week. I booked in January & got a HUGE deal! We chose a Dakota room (again) because it is roomy and can fit hubby, I, our 2 boys (ages 17 & 11) and this time they each brought a friend (ages 18 & 11). Beds are comfy. Room is clean. Need more towels -- housekeeping should be informed by front desk (they know how many I paid for)how many guests in a room. We had to ask every day for 6 towels & 6 washcloths. Activity guy Ryan does a great job. He is EVERYWHERE -- archery -- teaching and cheering! Bingo! Board games! Outdoor ball games! yes -- Ryan is there. Boy were we sad when he had the day off (though truly needed I am sure). Food is good. Not great, but then again --- it is a dude ranch -- not the Hilton! The indoor pool is very nice & the 2 slides are fun. 1 lifeguard for the amount of people seemed a little too slim (mother of a 17 yr old lifeguard) and a summer camp nurse. Consider adding a 2nd in busy season. The staff are great -- especially manager Paul who is often buzzing around greeting guests. Jeremy & Nicole are awesome bartenders and keep the drinks flowing at daily free happy hour at 5pm. There is also food and snack during this hour. This is when you need to wait in line to schedule your horseback riding (add'l fee) for upcoming day(s) and/or book paintball (add'l fee). We purchaed the $69 for 10 rides pkg for the kids....it is perfect. Mike and all the other wranglers are fantastic. Those horses are so loved by all of them. The snack bar (open 11am to 11pm) will fill even a teenagers food pit with burgers, FF and ice cream. This trip they added some "soda" pkg -- for $5 you get a cup and get free soda....but no cup as they did not get a shipment; instead you were to wear a wristband. I purchased it for all 4 kids. I saw plenty of people getting soda w/o the band. I feel they could have hidden the $20 in my pkg and called it a wash and still proclaim "free soda" (just a marketing tool). There offer free bloody Mary's at 11am -- I don't drink them, but had they offered mimosa's -- I would have been there! The bartenders work hard! Love the nightly campfire! They even sell s'mores pkg at the front desk. The bounce pillow is a HOOT -- but there should be supervision. It was getting wild at times. Kids loved the mini golf. It is not the Master's --- it is kid friendly and fun! The paintball guy is awesome! Worth the money-- far & wide! Let's not forget DJ Skeeter and the entertainment. They have magicians, comedians, etc. The tractor ride to the pond is very relaxing. There are paddle boats but the staff member had not arrived, so we did not use them this time. this place id FOR THE KIDS! We call it upscale camping and I do not have to cook, make my bed or find something for the kids to do! Let's also mention the great people we met -- especially some Long Island friends C & J & Kiddos! The playground is very nice too. I love dogs (I have 4) but we did not bring them on this trip. All the families that had their dogs kept them under control and cleaned up after them. I also appreciate their Pinegrove Dollars...how that works is you give them $200 and when you come back -- it grows to $300. The money never expires! It is free money! We will be back! We love this place and truly believe that those who complain probably just are more difficult to please. See you soon Pinegrove! Much love from CT!

Room Tip: Dakota -- some are remodeled. Roomy. Have king, full and bunks.
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stayed during the spring break, great weather, and had a ball. So much to do with the kids. Met some really fun people too. Hey TW. The staff could not be nicer. We were treated like family. Howdy to David,Paul,Cesar,Ryan,Christian,Genilda, Ivy,George, Mike ,all the front desk gals..hi Bethy and Stacy and of course our server Anthony!!!! All the wranglers..Especially, Ashley,Jessie,Mike, Sue, Flynn and Bob. We loved Daisy the cow the petting zoo.
Our breakfast was made to order eggs, omelets ,bacon, French toast.... Yogurt,oatmeal, cereal, muffins, cinnamon rolls...delicious. Fresh honeydew,grapes,pineapple and cantaloupe for lunch or heart of iceberg wedge Caesar salad, along with an assortment of hot/ cold sandwiches. Now, over at the Chuckwagon you could get FF, cheeseburgers, deli sandwiches, chili, pizza, salad,ice cream (read the website) all day long. Dinner was family style with an added carving station!!!
Activities start at 10am and go throughout the day ...BUSY.
We did the tractor ride, pedal boats, horseback riding, archery, swimming..OMG super dodgeball,tennis and the fabulous bouncy pillow. Last year we went tubing..so much fun.
Bloody Mary party at 11:30 and then cocktails at 5:00. Kids enjoyed dancing at their coketail party.
Anything we needed or wanted we just had to ask. If something needed attention, they were on it.
Thanks for another great time, Paul, I hope the sweater fits. Look for Pinegrove on our holiday card again this year!!!! PS Forgot the Starbucks in the lobby, with 1995 prices!!!

Room Tip: Get the Dakota rooms, they are renovated and larger.
2  Thank Cajen3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#3 of 3 in Woodstock

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!