“Our first visit”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Smithtown, New York
“Our first visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We just got home from our first visit to the ranch. We spent Sunday into Monday and we basically had the whole ranch to ourselves. My 3 kids had so much fun and want to go back. The place makes you feel very welcome. A special thanks to Ryan, Kaitlyn misses you :) and Michael from the dining room even though we didn't eat enough! See you again soon, we will be back

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelleyd70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Bedford Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

It was just a wonderful 4 day/3night family vacation. We brought our 2 adult children, spouses and 3 grandchildren for a delightful and very reasonably priced vacation. The rooms ( we were upgraded at no additional cost) were large and well maintained, the food was excellent as was the service. The attractions, both indoor and outdoor were fantastic- my grandchildren especially liked the pool, snow tubing, pony rides, and miniature golf. My wife and I really enjoyed the line dancing each afternoon with Goldie. Also enjoyed the "Cocktail Hour" each afternoon. The Saturday hoedown dinner was just the best. The staff was the friendliest and most helpful I had ever met at a vacation resort. Needless to say we thoroughly recommend the dude ranch and we plan to make it an annual event for our family.

Room Tip: Even the smallest rooms, Nevada are more than adequate for a family of 4.
2 Thank Alan M
Rockland County, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

This is my third review within a year, since it was our third trip to Pinegrove since June 2013. This last trip was a Christmas gift to my daughter and I...and was the best gift ever.

Having visited in June and September, we were excited to see how different the winter would be. There were some new activities to experience such as snow tubing and iceskating (on a real pond!) My eight year old daughter has never skated before, and I can't remember the last time I had been. It was a special thing to experience.

We visited this past weekend (Jan 17- 20th). My recommendation is always to book for at least four days so you can have at least two full days at the resort.

We participated in several of organized activities such as Family Fued and Trivia with a great staff person Ryan as well as tried out the scavenger hunt bingo and pony hunt. We ice skated, tried the rock climbing wall again, shot some arrows at archery, played board games in the lobby, played on the playground, swam in the pool, enjoyed the water slides, went snow tubing and hung out with the goats, cow and chicken in the petting zoo. My daughter loves being able to pet and hug all the animals! Me too! We enjoyed some music during Saturday nights Rodeo dinner. We ate cheeseburgers, hot dogs, fries from the snack bar - enjoyed the chocolate fountain, veggies, cheese / crackers, shirley temples and cocktails during the cocktail and coketail hours. We had great service during the sit down breakfasts and dinners (Michayla was our super sweet server during this trip) and got to enjoy potato skins, an awesome bloomin onion, some pasta dishes...and my daughter's favorite (she ordered three days in a row) -cheese omelets.

Of course we went horse back riding. At 30 dollars per ride (10 for a child, 20 for an adult) you cannot go wrong! Our ride Saturday morning was led by the barn manager Mike (great guy) It was cold...but magical. It snowed as we walked through the woods. Such an experience. We had a great ride Sunday with wrangler Flynn. He was friendly, engaged my daughter and I in conversation and looked out for everyone on the ride. Louis was our guide on Monday. This was probably my favorite ride as it was a small one. Louis also was very friendly and shared with us some things that we could look forward to during different seasons at Pinegrove. We look forward to summertime when we might try the BBQ ride or a private guided ride. We also saw Ashley and Kelly from our previous trips...they remembered us too. It's things like that, that make Pinegrove feel so personal, warm and like family.

All the staff at Pinegrove are wonderful and friendly. From registration (Barbara is awesome!), to cleaning staff, to food court staff, to the restaurant staff, the wranglers, lifeguards, activity staff etc... Everyone is pleasant, smiling, joking, engaging. They really make you feel welcome!

My daughter and I just love this place and can't get enough of it. It was great to get away from responsibility and distraction and just enjoy eachother's company. It's nice to get back to basics and experience true family time!

I see a lot of reviews on here about how things are run down or not as fancy as they'd like. If that's what you are expecting this is probably not the place for you. Pinegrove may not have the freshest coat of paint but they keep the prices down while providing a fun, warm, family atmostphere. We love it and we will definitely be back!

Some Tips:
Make sure you bring plenty to bundle up in. We were thankful to have packed our cuddle duds, smartwool socks and gloves and all the winter gear. It will make your experience so much better. Pack your own beverages. While they do have a bottomless cup for 5 bucks that you can refill I think it's more convenient to bring a big jug of water or two, your favorite beverages and some drink containers. THere is an ice machine in the food court. Pack some healthy snacks for in between (while endless burgers, dogs and fries are wonderful they can be a bit rough on the tummy).

Room Tip: Room Suggestion: This trip we got a free upgrade to Santa Fe - While at first we were disappointed...
1 Thank StarFoot8
New Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

This was our first time to Pinegrove and we loved it! We were a a group of 12 people who went away for my daughters 9th birthday. The ages varied and there was something for everyone to do. I believe the staff is a huge part of your vacation and at Pinegrove they make you feel like family. The word "no" is not in their vocabulary. The staff does everything to make you happy and goes above and beyond. The kids loved the horseback riding and now my children want to go for lessons. My 9 year old daughter was on a trail for the first time and Jessica was so helpful, kind, and patient. She rode right behind my daughter guiding her every step of the way and my daughter did awesome with her guidance. In one weekend we covered ice skating, snow tubing, petting zoo, horseback riding, swimming, archery, hoedown, country line dancing, and a fabulous show , Gemini. What a wonderful nonstop weekend at Pinegrove. Can't wait to return....possibly this spring.

1 Thank Family Time O
Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

I've visited PG once this past fall with the Girl Scouts. My girls are 7. We all thoroughly enjoyed the trip! The breakfasts were the best meals of the day, dinners were as expected. Not fine cuisine but not bad. The servers were OK, the management was very good and seemed on top of everything. There was plenty of food in the restaurant area... the dinette was pretty good also. The rooms were also as to be expected. In my mind I (never going here before) I imagined it would be one step above camping and it was much better - so I was pleasantly surprised.
There were so many activities for our scouts - it was fantastic.
On to the best part - the horses and wranglers. BOTH AWESOME. My twins had never ridden before but were not scared of the horses. The wranglers did a great job of matching the kids with horses and kept an eye on them to my satisfaction. They even accommodated us when the girls "NEEDED" the same horses the following day. They were very understanding! All in all, this is a ranch hotel, not 5 star luxury but if you go with the proper expectations you will not be let down. Also, the Halloween activities were tons of fun- The girls even trick-or-treated!
My girls have decided to abandon their birthday party this year and are opting for a trip back up to PG with daddy and little brother!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
The first time on a horse can ignite a life-long passion if done right. I'm so glad to hear that your girls had a positive and rewarding experience on the trail. Great!

We love Girl Scouts, I hope it shows in our activities and programs. These scouting weekends are always fun and it's a pleasure to serve the girls.

Birthdays at the Ranch...Please email or call me prior to arrival. Pinegrove would love to add in a few surprise gifts.

Thanks for posting and being our guest,

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Family first, all the way. We spent New Year's with another family - 11 of us in all - at Pinegrove. Everything comes down to the staff who clearly work as a family and love what they do. Several times, we had a member of the staff go out of his or her way to make sure our kids were happy, from the horseback rides to the games. The staff was having fun and that set the tone for our 3-day trip.

It was great to have plenty of space to crash in the room, though we spent almost no time there because we were always busy. Will say that the beds and pillows made for great sleeping. As far as activities go, there's something for everyone. The pool was big enough to never feel crowded during a very busy weekend. The kids all took a shot at the rock wall and wore themselves out on the huge bouncer. They ate their fill at the snack bar and I held my own with the free ice cream. Didn't get a chance to try ice skating, but loved that it was on a pond - very cool. Lots of other things we didn't try, so we'll be back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CharlieandCrew
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Kids...that's what Pinegrove does best! The larger the family, the more fun we can provide and the happy our guest. Family Reunions are always a big hit!

I grew up with seven sisters & brothers, our annual week family vacation was squeezing into two motel room inefficiencies and fighting over Fruit Loops in the morning. Those memories have helped me add programs and facilities. The FREE Snack Bar from 11am to 11pm is designed for parents...Kids can get whatever they want, without asking for money every two minutes.

Anyway, sorry if I digressed...Thanks for being our guest and bringing us two good size (9 is large :) ) families.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We returned for a family vacation for the first time in 11 years! We drove from Orlando with 11 family members. We had an absolute BLAST! Our days overflowed with fun activities like snow tubing, horseback riding, paintball, swimming, laser tag and so much more! The food is top notch and we were really treated as though we were family. The staff is friendly, warm and ready to serve. The owner David greeted us at dinner and remembering us called us by name. That was really telling of the love and care that goes into every person that vacations there. The shows at night kept us laughing for days and the New Years Eve party was amazing!! After posting dozens of pictures on Facebook I have many families that want to return with us in December of 2014. We cannot wait! Thank you David and the staff from Pinegrove! You are the BEST!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ClassyGal8
When a family drives all the way from Orlando to vacation at the Ranch...That's very special to us! It was great to see all of you again. Having the same job for more than 30 years, I'm always shocked to see how the "little ones" grow up. Your family was a pleasure to serve and we really appreciate your guest loyalty to the Ranch.

Please let me handle your reservation next time you reserve. I have a few Previous Guest surprises for all of you.

Have a great year!

Thanks for such kind words.

David - Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Minnewaska Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!