“Great stay, especially for groups of friends with kids”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
East Rockaway, New York
“Great stay, especially for groups of friends with kids”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My family and our friends that also have kids have spent the last several years at Pinegrove! It is a very pleasant place. The food isn't five stars, but it's fine. The staff bends over backwards to make you happy. The prices are reasonable. The guests are friendly and it's a party atmosphere. Some of us can afford a more expensive place, but some of our friends cannot. We love Pinegrove and we always take advantage of the Pinegrove bucks. Before we check out, we pay $200 towards our next stay and get rewarded $100. Can't beat that!

2 Thank mugsaway28
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
It's all about the Kids! There are so many great places to go for adults but a precious few where kids can be themselves without the worries of them getting lost or even worse, stolen. Pinegrove's facilities are operated by a caring staff that enables a 10 year old to do activities with their parents or on their "own" with friends or siblings. That is what make Pinegrove a "Special" place for your children.

The new Fire Pit each evening has been a hit for kids and parents. Some choose to roast marshmallows while others just enjoy the night air.

Thanks for posting a comment,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Huntington Station, New York
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was reading all the reviews and noticed it was a lot of mixed feelings. I am very surprised on how the "owner's" responded to the bad ones. You are pretty much telling the unhappy guests to leave if they don't like your place or try it out for a day. These are peoples vacations and some people travel more than an hour away to just leave or go somewhere else. Families are so busy with their lives that they can't just travel hours to a place to try it out for an hour. You really need to show a little compassion when it comes to people spending their hard earned money and not being happy at all. Your website is deceiving!!! I am trying not to bad mouth but instead of trying to accommodate or reconcile peoples problems your telling them to leave and you are giving sarcastic remarks, not a very good businessman.

I went there with my daughter and her friend and if I had to hear I'm bored one more time I was going to go insane. I am not sure if I went off season but there was really no one there and there were just a couple of activities to keep them busy. After we ate breakfast on Saturday we played 2 activities and then there was a lull before lunch so I brought them to the pool but it was closed (the pool should NEVER be closed in a resort with kids) then I wanted to get something at the bar and that was closed (again this is a resort the bar should never close). I then took them to try the Archery and that was closed. I was really shocked how the resort closed down for 2 hours during the day. The Playground needed to be updated.

I do have to agree with one of the reviews I read about the Slushy Machine, YOU DO ADVERTISE THE SLUSHY MACHINE on your website or at least you did in July when I booked the trip but when I arrived in October I was told the Slushy Machine was taken out a few months ago. The rooms weren't bad, the bunk beds could be a little more solid and the ladder to the top bunk should definitely be replaced. The food was OK, I think if your going to a ranch then the food was normal for this type of place

I didn't like the fact the pool was in a basement and the stables were across a street, when I go on vacation with my kids I want to be on vacation too. I had to sit in the basement (b/c my kids were under 12) and watch them in the pool even though there was a life guard. I couldn't let them roam around outside b/c of the fear of them running to go see the horses across the street.

I do have to say the horses were very friendly and the wranglers were friendly and helpful but I thought the horseback riding was too short of a ride and didn't like the fact you can only ride once a day. I thought when you book a vacation at a dude ranch its all about riding the horses. My daughter and her friend did like the Bounce Pillow and they were able to get french fries all day. I think you could make this place amazing if you put a little hard work and money into it. I also think if you went all out on the holidays like, Had Halloween the whole month of October and really did that up it would have been a little more fun. I would definitely not go back b/c overall we did not have a good time.

7 Thank LAV7575
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for being a guest and taking the time to post your comments. I'm sorry if my straight forward words come off as less than compassionate, but it is difficult to read a post that hates everything about Pinegrove, yet stays 3 days & 2 nights. In all my 30 years of travelling, I've never spent the night at a motel, hotel or resort that I found unacceptable...I checked out. That includes trips to the islands and farther destinations, and yes, I travel with my kids. That said...back to your post.

Just 5 years ago, Pinegrove kept all facilities open all day, and did not close them down for lunch and dinner. Then came the recession, our rates are 30% less today than in 2007. The majority of our guests are looking for affordable family vacations and if small changes like closing facilities during meals equates to saving of a few hundred dollars for a weekend, they choose the savings. Having the Halloween activities all month would be great, we did just that between 2002 & 2008, but those activities added $30 per person, per night and many guest in early October would rather not pay the extra dollars a month before Halloween. It the overall economy gets better for our guests...October will be Halloween!

Your title is 100% correct, "you do get what you pay for". I do not know how much you paid for your daughter's stay but do the math - 3 or 4 meals, free snack bar "she ate fries all day!", facilities, entertainment and more...Did you get what you paid for? I know our package and rates, that's a very difficult question to answer "no". I'm not even adding in the "motel room" cost.

I do appreciate the post, your right I could have answered "Horrible times 3" better, but the words just wouldn't come out. I love my Ranch and it is more that I ever dreamed it to be. Good thing Tripadvisor was not around when I started, we had share-a-baths, shag carpeting on the walls and black & white TV's (everyone had color) that received one snowy channel. We have come a long way and many guests from 1971 still vacation with us. The Ranch is more than a business to my family, and some of these comments are extremely hurtful. The other problem, I refuse to give simple professional replies like so many others do. It too easy, I like reading the comments and providing straight forward answers from the heart...definitely not professional.

Sorry you did not find the value in your vacation,

David - Owner

Travelers are raving about these Kerhonkson hotels

Prince Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at Pinegrove Ranch from October 7th to the 11th. I was a bit hesitant after reading the negative reviews, but you have to take them with a grain of salt. I had a wonderful time, and met very friendly people. The food was good, and plentiful. I went horseback riding for the first time ever, and loved it. I only attended one show and that was entertaining. I did get in the indoor pool, but it was chilly. The view of the mountains, and autumn leaves was magnificent. I took walks and found serenity.
The room was dated, and the carpet needed to be cleaned. I took slippers with rubber bottoms. (A viewer suggested doing so) I am glad it did. I don't think the bed was changed daily. I took Febreze with me. The biggest complaint I have is...the bathtub wasn't to my liking. I showered with swim shoes on my feet. The ranch décor was amazing, and the lobby and other areas were clean.
Overall, it was a good time, and the staff was friendly. Our waitress Alicea was awesome.
The bar closes at 10:00pm.Should you have any questions, please contact me.

Room Tip: I was told some rooms have been updated, but I don't know which ones. Oh yes, do not get a room...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank VeeNj
I'm glad your stay was "Better than Expected". Columbus weekend weather deserves some of the credit, the Catskill Mountain weather was Perfect! We have renovated about 65 of the 126 rooms and continue to work on one more each week. Doing it one room at a time is challenging but it enable Pinegrove to keep rates down during these challenging economic times.

Please email me at David@pinegroveranch.com and I will send you a Complimentary Room Upgrade certificate for your next visit.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have been to Pinegrove 4x and we love it. The rustic ranch sit atop a picturesque acreage. I have a 9 and 11 year old boys who play hard. They love the horses the trails, bounce pillow, basketball court, rock climbing wall and of course the pools. I love the nightly bond fires happy hours and the familly entertainment. If your looking for a five star sterile environment go somewhere else. One of my sons has autism and was treated with warmth and understanding by the staff. It's a great change of scenery for a city girl like me. The carvings, statues and tapestries gives authenticity and you can' t believe the cow bell they ring for chow time. The bed are a little lumpy but its part of charm of the place.

Room Tip: Best room for quiet is sante fe it's far from the lobby. Most cost efficient close to lobby,bar...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Ginatheone
Warm & friendly...we appreciate the post! Those are two attributes that well represent the staff at the Ranch. None of us are polished but each is warm and friendly. We will work on replacing any lumpy beds.

See you soon,

Reviewed October 15, 2013

let me start with the positives - my 7 and 9 yr olds loved the bouncy pillow, indoor pool with slide, unlimited ice cream at the snack bar and the horse back riding (which is really what we went for).

they liked the evening entertainment - a magic show (which i wasn't a fan of) and the playground (which was really directed at very young children and because no one had removed the rotting leaves was filled with bugs) and the scavenger hunt they ran one night.

what we didn't like was - the food - breakfast was fine but dinner was gross. Even my 7 yr old who basically will eat anything wouldn't eat their chicken fingers (the 2nd night he tried the mac and cheese and at least had at a few bites). the adult food is just bad. other issues include that the place looks run down....no one seems to paint anything, tape is on the rugs to cover holes, parking is hard to come by on busy weekends, there is a shortage of staff, their activities aren't really manned, one of the lifeguards at the pool seemed more interested in texting than actually watching the pool. although the ranch part of seems fairly well run the line to sign up for a ride can be quite long since it is only done once a day....not sure why this cant be done throughout the day or on line instead of wasting an hr waiting for 1 staff person from the ranch to sign everyone up. also service in the dining room is very much dependent on who is assigned to you. you should also be aware that on busy weekends there are 2 dinner seatings....they don't tell you this or which one you have been assigned to until you get there...so if your kids eat early like mine, you might not be thrilled with the 730 seating.

we had fun but i don't think i would go back

3 Thank jg2203
Glad your family had fun, that's our goal. Pinegrove was built in the 1950's and 1960's as a Kosher Hotel. While we have made major changes to turn this Kosher Hotel into a Dude Ranch over the years, the original walls are that of a 1960's property. Of course, we would prefer larger rooms and bathrooms but those are some of the hardest things to change from the original construction. Everything else has been changed, updates, etc. Every bath tub, every piece of furniture and décor ahs been updated many times since becoming a Dude Ranch. Look at the Indoor Pool as an example: 4 major changes in 4 decades. The last, 6 years ago, creating a Barn look with Indoor Water Slides.

Pinegrove will keep changing with the times with a focus on fun, affordable family vacation.

See you again

Long Island
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The place is 70's, the food is OK, the bars are good and the kids will love the daily horse back riding and the giant bouncy built into the ground outside. There is also a small pond with paddle boats and fishing as well as an indoor and outdoor pool.
The rooms aren't the best but they are exactly what you expect when you go Upstate. Don't do more than a night or your may get bored and find yourself wanting to flee.

Room Tip: Spend the money for the best room and only stay one night.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ADNYC59
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
I night is a great way to find out if a property is "right" for your family. Good tip, that is exactly why we offer 1 night rates.

David
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My family and I just got back from Pinegrove (more like Pinegross) this past Columbus Day weekend and what a HUGE disappointment this place was to the point we wanted to go home as soon as we got there. Our rooms were disgusting and smelled musty. The shower curtain in our room looked as if it hadnt been changed in years. The carpeting looked as if if hadnt been vacuumed. The food here in is inedilbe and we had to drive miles away to eat at restaurants in New Paltz. The only plus to our visit here is that the kids enjoyed their time outdoors jumping on the Bouncy Pillow and the horseback-riding. If you enjoy an all-inclusive clean resort don't go here. If you want to visit this place for the horse-back riding then visit on a day pass. Do not waste your money staying here. Its not worth it!!!

Room Tip: Skip staying overnight and go on a day pass
8 Thank GloFas
Dump...well I guess Pinegrove does not meet your travelling standards. Not sure why you did not follow your own "tip", buy the Day Pass and not stay overnight? We had Day Pass available each day and your deposit could have been applied to the cost of a Day Pass.

Not every property is right for every guest. Pick the one that's right for your family. Best measure, go by price. In our area, Mohonk Mountain House is approx. $300 per person per night, Rocking Horse $275 per person per night and Pinegrove $150 per person per night.

David - Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Minnewaska Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Hampton Inn Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!