“Another Awesome Mommy and Me vacation!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Rockland County, NY
“Another Awesome Mommy and Me vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I wish I could have written my review as soon as I returned so things were fresher in my mind... but because I had been to Pinegrove less than 3 months prior and written a review then I had to wait...so things may be all over the place but ...Here it goes...

My daughter (8) and I had a blast at the beginning of the summer with our first trip to Pinegrove. We fell in love and purchased the ranch rewards at the end of our visit (200 dollar deposit - completely refundable - book within the year and you get 100$ credit - a no brainer since we knew we'd be back). With the school year starting late we decided we couldn't wait to go back and this time spent 4 days 3 nights. We went during a time where it was one free child with one paying adult. We purchased rides for each of us for 3 days and the value was awesome.

When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised to have a free upgrade to Wyoming -again - and in the room we stayed last time which we loved and mentioned during reservations. I didn't think that would happen. (Thanks Barbara!) I also felt welcomed back when I found a bottle of wine and welcome back card in our room. Nice touch!

So...since we had been to the ranch already, we spent little time unpacking. Off to the pool. Had a blast on those slides. Spent some time at the bounce pillow and even took a shot at archery. We had to stop at the arcade (and we did often - it's easy to spend lots of money there...so I suggest budget per day...I did not..oops...but we won lots of Key Chains in the Road Trip game).

Night one was a blast. There was a ranch organized game of manhunt for the kids. There were little ones and not so little ones but they made it work! My daughter had a blast getting to know other children and getting to roam the ranch. Later that night we actually played games with two of the girls she connected with at Manhunt. While she played manhunt I had a chance to read my book.

The food was decent. Some things were better than others. I was really impressed with the salads this stay. Also, the menu varied each night which it had not our first trip. I think this is because there were fewer guests...but I think that made it kind of fun - you'd get excited to see what was on the menu. I do think they should have had more than one kids option per night but thankfully I do not have a picky eater so we were fine. Breakfast was always a hit! We also had a great server! I wish I could remember his name but we were at table 6. Or 9...my daughter kept turning the number upside down. One night we asked if my daughter could just have cucumbers...instead of a salad...and he hooked her up with an entire plate!

We loved the snack bar! Nothing like french fries and cheeseburgers whenever you want them. My daughter was a big fan of the slushies. I would love to see pizza at the snack bar (not just at lunch) and possibly something healthy, even if leaving out bananas and apples...as sometimes your stomach could use a break. They offered a 5$ cup that you could refill with soda, tea or lemonade for our entire stay. I purchased it but don't think I really needed to. Thankfully I brought a gallon of water. It would have been nice to have water stations around. But since everything is so close it was no biggie to go ot the room to refill my water bottle if needed. I suggest packing your favorite beverages and travel bottles for your room.

Horseback riding was awesome! The weather was beautiful. We had great rides every day. The wranglers were wonderful. They answered questions and really made us feel at ease. Kelly was our favorite wrangler. She had the best personality. She had a very gentle approach and she knew her stuff. She really paid attention to my daughter and answered all of her questions. We also got to see deer everyday. The horses were sweet as pie!

I do wish that we could have signed up for the BBQ ride. It is advertised as only for advanced riders. We were ready and willing to pay the extra money. However since the trip, I have emailed them and it sounds like when we return we may have the chance to do this. We can't wait!

More walks around, more bounce pillow, more bounce pillow, did I mention more bounce pillow? That thing was a blast - we were on it at least twice a day. It will make you sore though...so day two is a bit rough, but after that it's all smiles and giggles. I love that the grown ups can be kids here! The atmosphere really lends itself to good family time. For me, having that time to be away from the computers, work, laundry etc and just be with my daughter, truly enjoying each others company was the most valuable thing!

Some other things - My daughter loved the petting zoo. The goats adored her and she fell in LOVE with the chicken, who surprisingly let her pet her.. We tried our hand at Sharp Shooting by the indoor pool at night. Not too expensive and actually kind of fun. My daughter even hit some targets! We had drinks and snacks at the Cocktail and coketail hours (a nice bonus before dinner) We played board games in the lobby, played some air hockey and went on the playground. Though the playground is a bit run down, the kids all seem to love it. I think because it's one that allows kids to be more creative when playing. It's different than the ones you usually see. We attended a bonfire and ate marshmallows. My daughter climbed the rock wall and when she couldn't climb to the top the staff member pulled her up so she could ring the bell.. We went for a VERY BUMPY but fun ride to the pond and had a great guide Ashley. She was so friendly!.

I will say the only bad part of the trip was some of the guests; We dealt with some young teenage boys that were bullies to many guests, kids and grown ups alike - including myself. Also, someone had knocked over a half barrel on the chicken so she was trapped. Had my daughter not been looking for her who knows how long she would have been stuck. I also heard a grown man yell at a kid for splashing his daughter and almost get into a fight with the mother of the boy. It's hard for staff to be everywhere and to even intervene in these sorts of things but I wish those folks would have left the negativity at home and just relaxed.

I do have to comment on another thing - before we left we were provided with a room to change as we needed to change from pants (because of our last ride) to shorts after check out. We were provided a room in the Mesa Verde area and yes it smelled pretty bad. I had read many reviews about rooms having a bad smell but had not experienced it prior to this. I assume this is one of the older areas. I will say though, it still seemed very clean.

The positive definitely outweighed the negative and we purchased our Ranch Rewards again because we know we'll be back!. We love Pinegrove. It's big enough to roam around and find things to do and yet small enough that you don't get lost and you get to know folks. I felt comfortable letting my daughter go to the snackbar or the gift shop on her own. I gave her her own room key. It's nice in this day and age to just enjoy the simple things and I think most of the folks that come here get that and make it a pleasant place to be. The staff were really great too (I so wish i could remember everyone's names because there are so many more people I would love to recognize).

Anyway if you aren't afraid to get a little dirty and are really looking to get back to basics and enjoy family time don't hesitate to give it a shot! I suggest going during a time when kids are free to make it more affordable (even though without the deals it really is quite a deal compared to other family vacation spots). It has also not been so crowded during those times. We did two nights three days our first trip - It felt cut short. Having only one really full day just isn't enough. I suggest at least 4 days 3 nights. That seemed to be a great amount of time. Definitely get the rider package! Daily rides make the trip!

Thanks again Pinegrove for giving my daughter and I some of the greatest memories this summer! Hope to see you soon!!!!!

Room Tip: Wyoming is the best! It's right above the snackbar, close to the pool, easy access to pretty mu...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank StarFoot8
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thanks for the detailed review...it helps future guest get a better understanding of Pinegrove. We have so many "regulars" that visit more than two times a year, you all become like family. I'm working on a guest rewards system to thank all of you. Please stop by the desk and ask for me on your next visit, we can share a coffee and catch up.

David - Owner.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was the first time I have been to the ranch. We booked for the Girl Scout weekend this past weekend. I have grown up going to places like this so I knew what to expect. I have to say the dining room staff was friendly and helpful and the dining room was well run. Food was really good. The stable hands were very knowledgeable and the riding was good. However, going on the basis of this being a Girl Scout weekend I was not that pleased. There are many things that should be changed if the Scouts are to go. The commingling of clientle with the girls, the security factor and the differences in what regular guests get and the scouts get was alittle off putting. It seemed like no one was really sure what was what. So I would probably not bring my Scouts again, unless this changed, just because we have a different level of issues we need to adhere to with them. I would however return with my family to give them another try. I would like to see more staff hopefully wandering around making activities known to the guests.

Room Tip: The Wyoming room was the only one we saw. This was o.k. I know they said it was updated but the a/c...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sue V
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
It is true that Pinegrove has families and scouts on the same weekend. It is hard to predict, some dates end up being all scouts, others all families or like your weekend, a bit of both. I hope we offered all the Girl Scout extras that we promised; badge work, camp fires and discount scout rates.

Pinegrove's family program is geared to all ages and I do not know of any entertainment or activities that scouts would not find appropriate.

The Spring dates often fill with scouts well before families begin to reserve. I would gladly steer your troop to a weekend of just scouts. Call me anytime and I'll give you some dates & rates to consider. In the meantime, we have some great specials and discount on the website for families.

David -Owner
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We just went for a Girl Scout Weekend. Although the price was reasonable for what we got, our whole experience was less than adequate. We found the staff to be unfriendly and at times extremely rude, with the exception of the Horseback riding wranglers who were wonderful. There were no organzied activities for the girls and many were shut down early. They were were finished at 4pm and dinner wasn't scheduled until 7:30. In this time period the indoor pool was also closed and the only entertainment was a "coketail" party which was pure chaos. The resort is very rundown and appears to be unclean, although overall I think it was clean. The food was adequate for young girls but inadequate for adults.
Our price point was $99 per person, however we were 5 to a room with a cot for the 5th person which was extremely uncomfortable.
I am sorry to say that we will probably look for another type of place for our next trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Rdhded
I'm sorry to learn that you found our weekend lacking organization. That is unusual for us, operating meals, activities, rides and entertainment takes years of practice by an experienced staff. If you have the time, we would greatly appreciate a few minutes to get more details. Your comment about the last activity starting at 4pm when there is a late dinner, is already being looked at.

Please call our GM Paul Craft.

Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

This is not a luxury resort. Do not expect a luxury resort. Repeat that out loud before booking. Did you ever go to summer camp as a kid? This is like a year-round "summer camp plus" for the whole family, with older "motel rooms" instead of cabins. It's worth it for the low price you pay - read on for an honest opinion from this Mom.

Remember how much fun you had at summer camp as a kid? If you have kids, expect them to be very happy here and never bored.

I went just before Thanksgiving, alone with my 11-year-old because my husband was stuck working. I spent most of my own time lounging in the lobby area - lovely fireplace, relaxing and listening to music, while my son joined a "gang" of other kids to run around and do activities. I also walked around the scenic grounds. Many of the outdoor activities were limited for winter, but he was never bored for one second. They replace them with tons of indoor activities - ping pong, indoor pool with waterslide, shows and sing-alongs, karaoke, laser tag, fruit punch "nightclub" for kids to dance in, arcade games, unlimited snacks and goodies. They host board games and hula hoop contests, etc. My child was thrilled. He did not want to leave. The pool is smallish and older, but well chlorinated (you should shower chlorine off your kids in your room afterward, the chlorine is strong to keep it sanitary). There is a lifeguard and the double water slide entertains kids for hours.

Yes, the food is "cafeteria quality" but it's very decent and a waiter brings it to your table. I was perfectly OK with the food quality. Better than some roadside diners. The big dining hall is fun with all families eating at once. A very happy lively atmosphere. On your last day, leave a few dollars tip for your waiter. That's how it works. They all have name tags and you have the same one daily.

The lobby is newly renovated with a beautiful fireplace and many benches and seating. Country music plays adding to the atmosphere. I loved this lobby. They host many activities here. I spent hours just listening to the music and reading by the fireplace.

The massage therapist works out of the gym, and she is great. I got a deep tissue massage. The gym is tiny but has a few machines for those who want a quick workout. It's just fine for your needs.

The rooms - all new mattresses. Sheets and pillows were fresh and clean. TVs were new and dressers and curtains were new. Rooms were very well cleaned. Now the rooms are OLD. It's an old resort. Old windows, old but working heat and A/C. Old sinks, old tubs, etc. Old but spotlessly clean. The carpet is my only complaint - it is definitely older and has that musty carpet smell that old carpet gets. It is NOT DIRTY you can tell they clean it, it's just OLD. My kid said he didn't smell anything. Maybe I just have a super-nose. But that's my only complaint. Leave a tip for the maid on your last day, they spend a lot of time on each room.

Again - for the low price point this is a great value. The cost is per person, and it includes rooms, food, and entertainment. All inclusive! I think only paint ball is an extra cost because they take you off site for it. Recently they changed rates for horseback rides, so check your deal to understand it well. They have new "non-rider rates" for people who don't want to horseback ride.

Horseback rides - do not be snotty to the barn girls (employees). I saw a lot of this. Do not LIE about your riding ability. It is stupid and you will get HURT or hurt someone else. If you follow instructions of the barn girls, they are sweet as pie. If you disobey they will put you in your place publicly, because A) they don't want their horses abused by idiots kicking and yanking them and B) you will hurt yourself or others if you don't follow the rules. So don't be stupid. Obey the barn girls. If they raise their voice, it is for safety. Isn’t that what you want? Safety? The horses were adequately cared for and had good weight on them. They were good simple trail horses, following in line and not in a hurry. For the kids, they have separate pony rides. Anyone under 18 must wear a helmet they provide per their insurance company. I recommend everyone wear it for safety regardless. Trails are rocky; if you fall you could hit your head.

All in all, for the cheap price I paid, I got three days and two nights of a happy child running around all day and absolutely unconscious nightly from fun. I had some nice time alone on trail rides and getting a massage, and relaxing by the fire, while my son played with friends he made and moms (and employees on every corner) took turns keeping an eye out. We plan to return at least once a year.

Room Tip: Due to the age of the building, on the first floor, you can hear feet in the rooms above you walking...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Julie B
Value, Value Value...Pinegrove's goal is to provide fun, affordable family vacations. Thank you for taking the time to detail many aspects of your recent stay. Trust, while we will work to be better everyday, we will keep our rates affordable and continue to be a great family value.

Rochester, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

My fiance and I have been wanting to reconnect with our roots of owning, riding, and horse competitions. We definitely found what we were looking for at Pinegrove. While the food was not the greatest, and we did not have a updated/renovated new room, we still had an amazing weekend. There is no possible way you can find better personable customer service from an entire staff corps in the world. I challenge you to, because from where I'm sitting I don't think it's possible. This is coming from a couple who spoke with the manager at length about the lack of bang for our buck. I want to personally thank Jeff, Mike, Mia and of course the man behind the bar Jeremy for making our stay so amazing that we completely don't care about the room and food. The riding was amazing, the wranglers really take great pride and joy in taking care of the horses and making sure everybody enjoys their time on top of a horse. The bbq ride was a genius ideal Mike, and being able to do that with just myself and my fiance with you and Mia was absolutely a memory of a life time. The manager Jeff went out of his way to come out from behind the counter to chase us down, just to once again thank us for coming and make sure we had a great time. I'm not sure what to say about Jeremy other than thanks for a great night. One of the most fun nights I've had at a bar in a long time, it would not have been so without you. So if you're looking for the most friendly staff and amazing experience on a horse look no further than Pinegrove. We did not bring our daughter with us but just from walking around it looks like there is more than enough to keep any child happy. Thanks again for a great weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel J
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
I will make sure copies of your post reaches - Jeff, Jeremy, Mike and Mia. When Pinegrove started, rooms didn't have locks, no TV's, and food was leftovers for lunch...but people kept coming back. Why? The people who work here really care, it's not the "professional" answer, it's genuine interest in who you are and how can we make you happy. That has not changed over the years and I proud to create an environment that fosters employees to have a good time while they work.

Hope to meet you both on your next visit.

David - owner
Long Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is the first poor review I have ever written and I am disappointed myself. My husband and I went up to the ranch for one night with an option to extend. We had been there several years ago with our children. The riding and the staff were wonderful, horses great and well-cared for (the most important thing) and all of the staff friendly and welcoming. While the room appeared clean, the ranch is falling apart and gives one the impression that it is not clean (tho I really think it was). Doors poorly patched, paint peeling, carpeting bubbling, lamps off their bases, outlets sticking out of the walls with exposed wires, etc. Outside, fences broken and general disrepair. I did enjoy my meals there but my husband did not enjoy his at all. I will say that this trip was not during the season so it was not full, but Labor Day is only 2 weeks away and I doubt whether all this occurred in the last two weeks. I really hope they can pull it back together. I think their stables are the best in the area but if you don't ride, the ranch is not the place for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrsbz
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I am a mom with a 19 yr. old daughter. When I was a teen, I spent many of my summer vacations at Pinegrove Dude Ranch. I have the most wonderful memories of hours and hours spent riding, and the hospitality of the Tarantino Family. Surprise! Surprise! I took my daughter to Rocking Horse Ranch was she was ten. Mixed reviews, never returned. It somehow lacked "heart" . I had forgotten about Pinegrove. Somehow, I thought you could never return to your childhood, In a strange turn of events, my daughter,doggie and I found ourselves stranded at 1000 Acres Ranch near Lake George. Stay far away!!!! We hopped in the car and made a same day reservation for Pinegrove. (yes, they are pet friendly;) What can I say ? It is BETTER than I ever remembered! It is still owned by members of the same family, same hospitality and management. The food is very edible, not gourmet. Herman, Mishayla and Chris made us feel very welcome at every meal. The snack bar is always open .There are even more activites and facilites, updated and improved. ( bounce pillow, paint ball, gym, lobby, etc.) Kris at the bounce pillow, archery and the rock wall was knowlegeable and enthusiastic. The quality of the horseback riding program was outstanding, even better than before.Special thanks to Julie.. I am hoping to go on the barbeque ride next time I visit.There are very few all inclusive resorts of this nature left for familes to enjoy. This is not Club Med, or a 5 star resort. It is a very reasonably priced vacation that is mostly all inclusive. There are been some improvements to rooms, and some mold issues remain, but there are some very nice rooms. I would recommend PInegrove to most anyone !!! There are plenty of activities for riders and non-riders alike in a gorgeous setting, close to city, yet feels a world away.I can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: Rooms off the lobby are nicer...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lisa T
...and we can't wait to have you back! Thanks for the common sense, it's like a breath of fresh air.

We will keep working to make Pinegrove an affordable family vacation and look forward to your return.

David - Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!