“great for girl scouts, it beats camping”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Reviewed May 6, 2008

This place was great for a girl scout outing. It was better than camping, but in some ways it was very similar. We liked that our troop had plenty of room to spread out. We had our own hallway. The food was OK but our waiter had trouble getting our orders right. A few times some of our group just took what he brought to speed up the process. The girls had fun horseback riding.
As for a clean place to stay, it depends on what you consider clean , it really could use some new carpets and some upgrade of the rooms. They also need to invest in bigger towels. I suggest you bring beach towels for the pool. They provided towels but they were the size of a hand towel.
On the positive side, most of the staff was friendly and the activities were well staffed, Especially since there were 500+ girl scouts and backups could have been a problem.
I would not recommend it for anything but a weekend with kids groups where they can make a mess and no one will notice

• Stayed: May 2008
There are newer reviews for Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch

Reviewed April 14, 2008

We were booked this past weekend for a special Girl Scout weekend. It seemed to be a great idea for the girls and their Mom's to be together.

The flyer about the Pinegrove ranch looked "fantastic" and listed many many activities. We were all so excited and looking forward to this weekend for some time.

Once we arrived on a Friday afternoon we quickly signed up for the horseback riding. Good thing we arrived early or we would have been split and not had any great choices of riding times.

They had many activities as expected but everything was so run down. We brought our own Clorax bleach wipes and wiped EVERYTHING down in the bathroom. It was so disgusting! We were staying in the "mesa verde" area above the front desk. One of our groups room had no window! They were so run down and our air condidior was broken! They came to fix it but it ending up making such a loud noise all night long,

Than our smoke detector was broken and hanging from the ceiling! We called again and they came and did NOT even replace the battery. He said "it's wired to the system, if there's a fire it will go off". HELLO! If.... we felt this was NOT okay. The next day they were suppose to send someone up and never did.

The activies were okay. The lazer tag was alot of fun but the man running it was way to UPTIGHT for little Girl Scouts! He took over 10 minutes of our 30 minutes scheduled to explain the rules of lazer tag! It was nuts!

They closed the bar during the weekend but were quick to tell us where to go and buy our own! Is that crazy or what!

The girls had a wonderful time and didnt notice what we did as parents! They are all 8 and 9 years old! I wouldnt go back again as several other Dude ranch resorts offer special weekends for Girl Scouts and I'm sure are alot cleaner and kept up better than this place is or will be.

They need to spend some of their $$$ profits and fix the place up. Our joke all weekend is was "This is about a Motel 3" not even as nice as a Motel 6 would be! Now you know that's not good at all! We werent expecting the Ritz Carlton but a clean and updated resort would of been more like it!

• Stayed: April 2008
4  Thank PANJCA
Reviewed April 8, 2008

After booking a Girl Scout weekend, i read some of the awful reviews and was scared to go but we had a great time!! Not expecting a 4 star, just a fun family place, my expectations were exceeded. Our rooms were very clean and large. The activities were fun for the girls (12 yr olds) and the leaders. No one said "I'm bored" once! We had 2 rides, played games and sports, swam, learned to line dance, climbed a rock wall and had a tug of war. Only complaints were ones we knew going in: food is not gourmet but not terrible, lines at free snack bar were too long due to not enough staff there, dinner service was hectic but quick. Suggestions - request Santa Fe section, it is furthest out so the quietest (but all the buildings were connected so we didn't have to walk outside); bring some change for soda & snack machines due to long lines, some games took change too such as pool and air hockey. Gift shop was reasonable (t shirts $12). As Girl Scouts, we were very pleased and felt the place was very affordable and enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We went to this place for spring break first time with two families. Everybody was so happy with all the activites and all the friendly people. The service and food are excellent. It is a relaxing place for family vacation. You can ride horse many times a day and boys love to play paintball. My girls also loved the night show. Overall, we are satisfied.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 28, 2008

What you read is so true. When I arrived and checked into my room, we had to moved due to the ant issues. Second room was not totally clean, not blankets provided until our third night. The place has alot of potential but is really run down. The food was terrible. But the staff was really nice. I didn't read the reviews before I went with my family. What these reviews say are very true. If they were to remodel and clean the place, it would go a long way. But save your money and go somewhere else.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed February 24, 2008

I went with my daughter and her girl scout troop for a mother -daughter weekend this past fall. I knew it was a dude ranch and certainly wasn't expecting the Four Seasons. I was however expecting a clean place with edible food. We had hit some major trafic coming form Long Island so we arrived a little late at The Dude Ranch. It was pitch black when we arrived but the outside of the ranch seemed nice when we first pulled up. The lobby is actually quite nice. However the rug on the floor was filthy and wornout. I couldn't tell what color it was originally -it was that worn. Alos there was an enormous amount of dust and the windows looked filthy. We checked in as a group and got our room assignment. We went to our room which we shared with my daughter's best friend and her mom. It was horrible. It smelled -was small and filthy. We ended up switching rooms with another mother and her girls because they wanted to be closer to a room with some other girls. Our new room was much better. It was clean and bigger. The furnishings were okay-but nothing matched to each other. It was as if each thing wore out it was replaced with anything they could find. The windows were very dirty. But we were tried to make the best of it and headed down for dinner. They said the main dining room was full and put us in a small room off of the main lobby. The room held about 150 people and we had two servers. They almost seemed like this was their first day-but no they actually had worked there for quite awhile. They just didn;t seem to have any clue what was going on. The food was horrible. The water and ice tea smelled horrible and the coffee was burnt. We soon learned that we we wanted safe water or soda to use the soda machines and to go t o the health club to buy a cup of Stabuck's coffee. It was great and cheap A dollar a cup. Why they couldn't serve that in the dining room was intereting. The girls however were having a good time so we tried to make the best of it. They do have a snack bar that serves pizza, fries, hamburgers. All of that was free and tasted good. We would have been happy with that. for dinner. The food in the dining was horrible except for our last day. The breakfast and lunch were actually decent much to our surprise. The plates and silverware was frequently dirty. I once asked for a new fork because mine had dropped on the floor and the waitress told me she didn't have any more so she would just wash some dirty ones from our table. !!!!!
Everything at the ranch since old and rundown. But with a little bit of cleaning and renovating-it could be vastly improved. Take some of the large amounts of money they are making and put it back into the place. The potential is there . The people who ran the activities weren't that great. This was a special all girl scout weekend. You would think they would have some engeritc staff working. It looks like the place hasn't been changed or updated in 20 years.
Now to the horseback riding. My daughter and I have only been riding once befoe so we opted for the beginner ride. The time slot we got was in the afternoon. The horses looked clean and well-cared for but they were tired and rowdy. Since this was a beginner ride I assumed we would have calm gentle horses and a lot of staff to lead us on the trail. First of all our group was huge-at least 3o beginners. Lot's of little girls. I saw very few staff members on the trail with us and they were not easily identified as staff. The horses started to go off wherever they wanted. This petriffied some girl who were not with their parents. One girl's horse started to go off on it's own into the woods. She was right by me and started screamiing. I tried to calm her down and tried to pass the word along to get a staff member to come and assist her. She was so fightened. She told me she was going to jump off the horse. I tried to get her not to but she did anyway. I was terrified the horse would hurt her-but finally a staff member came by and got things under control. The group was way too big, not enough wranglers, and way over worked horses. My daughter and I had a good time on the trail for the most however and the views wre beautiful. The one show at night of the animal trainer was actuall very good and we did enjoy that. We spoke to the manager and tried to explain to him our issues about certain things. He llistened but you just knew that things weren't going to change. The sad tjhing is that this place could really be improved with just a little effort and some money. The girls did have a good time. I enjoyed spending time with my daughter. I probably would not come back but I recently found out that the girl scouts once again have booked Pine Grove for another mother daughter weekend this fall.My daughter really wants to go and I know the time you have sharing moments like this with your teenage daughter get fewer and fewer. So I will go and think about it as if I was going camping in the woods but in a rundown cabin with some nicer features. I will bring bottled water and soda and cereal and snacks. I 'll have a good time with my daughter. But The owners of Pine Grove better start reading all these negative reviews-eventually people are not going to put up with this. The sad thing is that the place has a lot going for it-just spend some of that money and put it back into the place.

• Stayed: November 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank MOMGS123
Reviewed February 20, 2008

I returned to Pine Grove after two years. My last stay was disappointing. I was told the rooms were being remodeled wing by wing and the room that I had was not remodeled.(Nevada section) To my dismay I returned for a second round of punishment. I recently stayed in the wyoming wing on the second floor. The room was gross. The beds, the bedding, the wallpaper, the window treatments and the bathroom were totally unacceptable. It was a real insult to me to stay there. But what do you do after making a reservation and traveling with kids. By this time everything else is booked. The place has great potential. The layout of the land is beautiful but the entire place is falling apart. I don't know how the owner could be taking families hard earned money with a clear concious (spelling)? Shame on you Mr "O"!!!!!! I validate the complaints I have read on this site and the endless complaints I heard at your family resort. You should stop taking peoples money until you clean it up.
Momoncall46@aol.com

Stayed: February 2008
8  Thank momoncall49
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!