“needs rentovations”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Westford, Massachusetts, United States
“needs rentovations”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The rooms needed serious updating!!!! The blankets were aweful!!! The food was worst than cafeteria food served at schools . We lived on soft served ice cream and french fries. The staff at the front desk were not helpful at all. The horseback riding was fun. The girls were very nice and helped some of the beginner riders. The hayride was fun.

Room Tip: maybe ask for a rentovated room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kara B
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Wow, sounds like we didn't live up to your expectations, sorry. We all at Pinegrove work very hard to provide a value vacation, packed with with activities & entertainment. A large portion of our working budget goes to the staffing of these additional, all inclusive activities. I hope you brought your concerns to the attention of the Front Desk while you were here. Simple things like a worn blanket, can be replaced immediately. Please consider contacting us, we would give anything for a second chance to show your family we care & improve everyday. David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We are repeat customers. We had a great time again. The staff is so nice. The food was really good. Three meals a day, the cocktail hour, the chocolate fondue fountain. No wonder we come back feeling like we were on cruise! The Wranglers are terrific. The horses are great and the trail is really beautiful. We had a great time singing Karaoke. The entertainment was enjoyable. We think all the Wranglers are amazing. We just wanted to give a shout out to Wrangler Chrissy. She really went the extra mile with my daughter Sharolette. She really helped build her confidence up and helped her. Sharlo will be ready for the advanced ride when we come back in December! Though before we left, who ever was upstairs from us might have left the water running, there was a leak in the bathroom. They fixed it right away. We stayed in the Wyoming. Everything was clean, just this section is dated. They are working on re-doing all the rooms. The last trip we came up with out our group, we stayed in the Dakota. They did a great job upgrading that section. I got a massage this trip. I will be booking one when ever I go up. It was excellent. This is a family run Ranch, for families and it is really great to see the Ranch grow. We hope to be a part of the process. We will be back. My daughter is so comfortable there. We love it.

Room Tip: Value for the money pick the Wyoming. When we go up by ourselves and not in out large group we upgra...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank CARON A
Thanks for being our guest, again!!! The Ranch was build on repeat guest, returning year after year and devoted families like yours that come very often. Each time you return, our hard working staff smiles a bit more, knowing it's them your coming to see. THANKS!

We have been busy this Halloween season, Pinegrove's location in the beautiful Catskill Mountains makes for a great Fall destination.

I will pass along your compliments to Wrangler Chrissy, the barn staff work their tails off regardless of weather. Your kind words will brighten her day.

Thanks again, see you soon.

David
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

First, if you are looking to stay at the Ritz Carlton, do not go to Pinegrove. If you are looking for a safe place for kids to be kids with some horseback riding thrown in, then Pinegrove might be your place. The rooms are very spacious, but they are worn and tired. Our room had two full size beds and two bunk beds and the size of the room meant nobody was cramped. Breakfast and dinner are seved in the main dining room. The restaurant will never win any culinary awards but the food is edible and there is plenty of it! When the dining room is not open, and for lunch, the chuck wagon is open with pizza, burgers, fresh made sandwiches, chili and even soft serve ice cream. Beverages are strictly non carbonated. The ice cream was a big hit with the kids. The indoor pool was warm and clean and there were lifeguards on duty. There are two water slides at the indoor pool (there is an outdoor pool as well). Miniature golf is located inside near the pool. The course is worn and tired but the kids still had a ton of fun. Paint ball target shooting (extra charge) is near the mini golf and was also a lot of fun. The kids also participated in archery at the indoor range, perfect for beginners. On the days we were there, a fishing contest was being held on the paddle boat / fishing lake. Not likely you're gong to catch anything, but again the kids had fun. Horseback riding can be a little confusing as they have transitioned to a ticket system for the rides and would not let the kids take a second ride using a ticket from a person who elected not to ride. Same number of potential riders either way. Let me sum up the experience this way: the resort is tired, word down and basic but the kids have so much fun that they beg to come back over and over. I definitely get my money's worth here. Just set your expectations correctly before you come.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Bill D
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write about your experience at Pinegrove on TripAdvisor. Each of our department managers review every review with their staff to use your comments to make the next guest stay more enjoyable. Pinegrove Ranch is a small family owned and operated resort ranch that strives to provide a value vacation. It is our goal to provide the best "value to price" ranch vacation in the Northeast. While other properties may be newer or more polished, none provide as much food, recreation, entertainment and facilities at a comparable price. Our entire staff looks forward to providing your family another value vacation.
West Point, NY
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We found this resort online, but did not use trip advisor, big mistake. This resort is run down, and in need of renovation. The pool is small and dirty. The other activities are all pretty rudimentary as well. Don't use their website to get an idea of what the resort feels like. We booked a 4 day stay, but left after 1 night. On the upside, the fook is OK; the rooms are clean; the horseback riding is OK.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JWZ1
Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write about your experience at Pinegrove on TripAdvisor. Each of our department managers review every review with their staff to use your comments to make the next guest stay more enjoyable. Pinegrove Ranch is a small family owned and operated resort ranch that strives to provide a value vacation. It is our goal to provide the best "value to price" ranch vacation in the Northeast. While other properties may be newer or more polished, none provide as much food, recreation, entertainment and facilities at a comparable price. I'm sorry your family was not happy with our Ranch but glad you found the food, rooms and riding "OK".

We would like to provide your family an opportunity to return to the ranch as our guest and give us a second chance. Please call 800-346-4626, ask for General Manger Paul Craft.

Travelers are raving about these Kerhonkson hotels

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My family spent 3 days at the Ranch and had a great time. Like other reviews said if you are looking for the Hilton.....you wont find it here. But you will have fun. The room we stayed in could use alot of updating, but I didn't go for the room. The food was included in the package and was ok. The all day burgers and dogs was a plus and they put up with my kids every 5 minutes with no complaints. (Dave...very helpful).
The most fun we had was the paintball on the property. The operator, Steve of Roadrunner Paintball, was GREAT. It costs a bit more but it was well worth it and my kids(13 and16) had a great time.
Overall, I would recommed a short stay here....it's a good value and a very relaxed atmosphere, but don't expect too much. Oh yea....bring a coffee cup, the 4 ounce foam cup you get get with your morning coffee just doesn't cut it. And Starbucks in the lobby.....NEVER OPEN.

• Stayed September 2012

Our Starbuck's Cafe is open each moring from 8am-12noon during family stay periods. It is not open midweek out of season when guest counts are low. We are sorry that Starbucks was not available during your stay.
Inwood, ny
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Overall I think this place is very safe and the kids can walk around and do things on their own.
I hated all the sign ups. You have to stand on lines for like 1 hour to sign up for everything.
My biggest complaint is the horse back riding. There is not instruction/direction given by staff. They tell you the sign up time is 3-5 but then you wait on line until they come out to the sign up area around 3:15-3:30. I waited on line to sign up for the Jr. Wranglers and they tell you to be at the stables at 10 the following morning.

When you go to the stables you have to search for someone who works there, they don't have anyone there to let you know where to go. When we finally found someone we asked about the Wrangers program and they tell you after the trail ride leaves at 10:15 they start, but they fail to mention they have to do all the pony rides first (25-30 people waiting for the pony rides). Needless to say by 11:00 they still had about 25 people doing pony rides. Now for the pony rides, as we were sitting there and after the trail ride leaves there were 3 staff playing with the horses moving them around the corral. After that 2 of the staff get on their horses and go down the trail which leaves on 1 girl to do the pony rides.

Overall there was alot for my kids (9 & 6) but they are young, it's alot of 70's activities. The food was really not that good, although for my kids the snack bar was good for my older daughter (who went all the time for burgers and fries).

When I was at the front desk there were people complainging and the staff weren't concered at all and definitely were not going to try and accomidate their concerns.

I also have to say my kids were again and again ignored by staff at the front desk and restaurant. My daughter went up to the front desk to ask for ping pong paddles and ball (I was sitting in the lobby watching her) and when she was taking I figued there was no one at the desk but when I walked up there were 3 people there and helped me immediately (my daughter said they were looking at her but would not help her) and in the restaurant I told my kids to wait for a table (so I could throw something in my car) and when I came back my girls said everyone ignored them.

Lets put it this way - would I go back - NO WAY!

Room Tip: Dakota faces the pools and seems like a good room. I think the best rooms would have been in the wi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Travles_2012

Lines are a problem, we are committed to reducing or eliminated guest lines for activities or sign-ups. We are currently working on a software program to allow guest to select ride times prior to arrival.
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We went to Pinegrove Ranch for a family reunion, with 22 people ranging from 2-80 I can honestly say Pinegrove provided entertainment for all of us. The staff was nice and the facilities had a lot going for them. My older daughter and I enjoyed the horses a lot and felt that the staff was kind and knowledgeable about them.

But, like others it was difficult to turn a blind eye to the areas that needed help. Overall I don't think many people go to the mountains and expect the Ritz but Pine grove could do with a big infusion of money to bring it up to what it clearly once was, little things like worn out carpet. To bigger things like rusty nails sticking out out of benches. There was a certain dampness that existed more in some rooms than others ours was ok but my parents which was in the lowest level had to empty the constantly running dehumidifier a few times.

The last thing that I really felt was a drawback was the food. At best the food was ok but lunch was almost inedible. You pay a premium to have meals included and while I was not expecting it to be the best meals I would ever eat, I certainly did not look forward to meal time either.

My kids, who are of course obliviously to the things that we noticed, had a blast! They want to go back as soon as possible. The little things they had set up made a big difference from karaoke to bingo it was fun to do those things impromptu.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TracyC1980

Thank you for mentioning the nails sticking out on those handmade bark-on benches. Fortunately, your comments enabled us to remove and repair those benches before anyone sustained a serious injury.

As a "Thank You" we would like to provide your family an opportunity to return to the ranch as our guest and give us a second chance. Please call 800-346-4626, ask for General Manger Paul Craft.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Minnewaska Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!