“Very disappointing”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This was the third time I’ve eaten at O’Connell’s. We visited here when the restaurant first opened several years ago, and at that time, we found the service stuffy and the food overpriced for its quality. I returned for lunch the following year and enjoyed my meal. This time, we’d purchased a Groupon and hoped that service and meal quality had improved. Service was fine — our waitress was pleasant and efficient. We couldn’t blame her for the fact that our meals came out an hour after placing our order. It was mid-week and not very crowded, so there didn’t appear to be an excuse for that kind of wait. My husband’s steak was charred and tasteless; my swordfish was okay, but not out of the ordinary for its price. Overall, it was a disappointing experience.

• Visited June 2012

East Amherst, New York
“Unexpected Delight”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We visited for the first time with friends for Buffalo Restaurant Week. It was our first visit. The tasting menu offered was an excellent selection of regular menu items. All of our meals were excellent. The food arrived without delays and was proper temperature. There was a very nice wine list available and pairings were also available if requested. Service was very friendly and attentive without being pretentious. Some great desserts were also tried and enjoyed.
I would certainly recommend this restaurant and will definitely return.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Henry D
Buffalo, New York
“Always a pleasure to the senses!”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Every time I go to O'Connell's I am delighted by thier tasting menu. In the past, there were two tasting menus to choose from, each with several courses. This visit, however, it was a blind tasting menu! A 5 course meal selected by the Chef. The presentation of each course was beautiful and the taste was amazing. I will go back again and again and keep introducing new people to this wonderful restaurant!

• Visited March 2012
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 30, 2011

My husband and I placed an order for pick up on a Friday night after a long, hard work week. We ordered the Prime Burger $17) crab cakes (2 @ $13), and a field green salad ($5). What we brought home looked unappetizing and marginal fare at best....a bloody rare burger that I had to cook again, soft mushy crabcakes ifloating coleslaw liquid that was poured into the crabcake container and not self contained from the cakes. The cakes were served wih tartar sauce which I did not try (looked like a cup of mayo). The salad was a pile of greens with a 1/2 of container of dressing. No salt or pepper on the salad and ot even an onion or a speck of crumbly blue. What is sad is that a family member works there and placed he order. The "pomme frites" were the saddest fries I have ever layed my eyes on and should be reevaluated altogether. They were dry, cold and unseasoned. Do not waste your money on this place it is a joke.

• Visited January 2011
2 Thank MyOpinion1000
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing is an understatement.”
Reviewed January 23, 2011

My hubby and I went to O'Connell's on a date night away from baby...these evenings are far and few in between. Based on a friend's recommendation and a trip to their website, we decided to try something new and strayed from our usuals-Left Bank, Tempo, or Hutch's. The highlight of our meal was the appetizer (stuffed peppers). After this first course, everything quickly went downhill. A grossly undercooked rib eye sat bleeding on my husband's plate for 7 minutes before we could get our waiter's attention. When it returned from the kitchen, it turned out to be a grizzly cut of meat with little flavor. He assured me that the steak dinner I prepared for him at home the week prior was far superior, and Betty Crocker I certainly am not. Each bite of my seafood cioppino was more rubbery than the last and the sides were lackluster at best. Our bill came to $164 before gratuity. That's a lot of diapers. We were sadly disappointed. Next time we take an evening out, we will surely stick with the places we know (Left Bank, Tempo, Hutch's), and we'll probably save a little cash doing it!

• Visited January 2011