“Beautiful room and an excellent breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Trail's End Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keene Valley
Trail's End Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Keene Valley B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful room and an excellent breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

We recently returned from our first anniversary trip and loved the Trail's End Inn! We stayed in the Skylight room which was one of the three new rooms added to the end of the inn. The new rooms all have fireplaces and jetted tubs. After the cross country skiing and winter hiking, we really enjoyed relaxing in the tub and by the fire.

Breakfast in the morning was excellent. We had french toast, egg quiche, and an egg tart during our stay, and all meals included coffee, juice, fresh fruit and a homemade baked goods. The maple nut scones were fantastic.

The staff is around if you need them, but as noted they give you your privacy. You can use the fireplace, TV, and game room in the main house as needed, and there is always coffee, soda, water and snacks around at all times of the day.

There are plenty of hiking trails nearby Keene Valley, with an excellent diner and small grocery store in town. Lake Placid and Whiteface are an easy drive about half an hour north, with the other Olympic attractions on the way including cross country skiing, bobsled and ski jumping.

We'll be back to the Trail's End Inn for sure.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
SE PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2009

We first visited Trail's End in 2003 and have returned at least once a year since. We are typically visiting as part of an extended family and use Trail's End as a reunion point of sorts.

We are avid hikers as are most of the other guests so we enjoy comparing hike notes with others. We enjoy starting the day with a cup of their awesome coffee on their expansive front porch; it's a great gathering spot if you've got family and friends in other rooms. We also enjoy meeting on that same porch for post-hike laughs and cold beverages later in the day.

Their breaksfasts are now legendary in our family... and the scones are simply the best we've ever had. We love it when extra scones are "up for grabs" after breakfast!

A recurring theme I saw in other reviews was the lack of "inkeeper sightings". We find this to our liking. If you need them, they are available. If not, they are not in your face. I think this unsettles some first time visitors, especially those who are accustomed to seeing an inkeeper frequently. First-timers are easy to spot and invariably a "regular" steers them in the right direction.

As I type this we are already planning our next visit to Trail's End... can't wait!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Fairport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

we stayed 4 nights in the cottage on the grounds of Trails End Inn. The cottage was lovely. It had a kitchen and a grill, so I could cook some simple meals after a long day of hiking. The cottage had 2 bedrooms so the kids could have one room and adults another. After hiking Giant, we enjoyed some beverages on the private deck. Very nice! We enjoyed hearty breakfasts every morning--the kids' favorites: huge blueberry pancakes! Coffee, tea, drinks available 24/7, and fresh baked goods--the kids had fun guessing what kind of warm cookies would be available each evening. Great hospitality!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2008

My husband and I have been travelling to the Adirondacks for many years but only in the last 5 have we found the perfect relaxing spot to stay: Trail's End Inn in Keene Valley. It's in the heart of the High Peaks and near almost all the significant trails. It embodies the spirit of the Adirondacks: simple, comfortable, quiet and exactly what one needs: hearty breakfast to start the day, perfect sack lunch for the trail and a lovely, warm bath and comfy bed after a long, exhausting hike. If I could travel to only one place in my life, you can believe Trail's End would be IT. Dave and Susan are wonderful inkeepers and we'll keep coming.

Lake Forest, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2008

We have been visiting Trail's End Inn for the past 4 yrs. and have fallen in love with the Inn and the area. The Inn is wonderful with it's rooms all decorated differently, the large living room and breakfast room with fireplaces to keep the chill off on a cold day. The owners are warm and friendly and the food delicious. It's a home away from home. The High Peaks area is an outdoorsmen paradise but it's also a nice place to sit on the porch, read and relax. We would highly recommend visiting there.

• Liked — The comfortable surroundings
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

I regret to report that my family's experience at this inn was unpleasant.

The inn itself is a wonderful place in the amazing setting of Keene Valley, NY, in the center of the Adirondacks High Peaks region.

However, we found the proprietors cold and unwelcoming.

On its Web site, the inn advertizes itself as family friendly, with children and large groups welcome. Indeed, when I booked our reservations, the Web site clearly stated that "children under two-years-old stay free." I note that the innkeepers have since changed their policy to disclude any children under 8-years-old.

One of the innkeepers barked at my two-year-old daughter twice during our stay. Our child was simply laughing and playing in the toy box the inn provided in the common area while we were taking an afternoon break from hiking. The child was not bothering any guests and in fact there were only a couple other registered guests in the entire building. When those guests met our child they took a moment to talk and play with her... they were clearly pleased to see her.

The innkeeper's attitude led to a confrontation. This forced us to cut our stay short and find other accommodations.

Before we left, the innkeepers told us they want "a certain type of people" to stay there and clearly we did not fit that category, in spite of the fact that they happily took our $650 for three nights.

With regrets, I cannot in good conscience recommend this inn.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank flyfisher20
TEIInnkeeper, Owner at Trail's End Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
It is unfortunate that a few people cause the majority to be subjet to a more restrictive policy. These guest were welcomed in the same warm manner as all of our guests. However, their child was unruly and threw multipul screaming tantrums that were so loud that I had heard the child in our private quarters. On more than one occasion I asked the parents to quiet the child, and said that the tantrums were not acceptable behaviour in our Inn to which the parents did nothing and responded "children will be children".
That was, and is, an unacceptable solution to an unruly child. We have all of our guests' quiet enjoyment of our Inn to consider. As a result of this egregious disregard by these guest of our other guests' enjoyment we were forced to change our general policy toward small children. We do make exception, but as a general rule, our Inn is not a proper place to bring children who do not behave well. The guest were never told that we want "a certain type of people". They were not asked to leave, only asked to control their child. which they refused to do.
NewYork
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

I did not stay at this Inn but I think some people would like to hear my experience trying to book a stay

On the Trail's End Inn it clearly states that "Children under 2 stay for free". While trying to book a trip with my wife for her birthday I called the Trail's End Inn and spoke to Dave. I was all set to book the trip when I attempted to inquire about the room and mentioned that we would be bringing our 18 month old daughter. Dave then told me that we were not welcome because infants were too "unpredictable". I got off the phone double checked that the website does say "Children under 2 stay for free". I called Dave back and he agreed that that is what the website says but that's not what they do anyways. Then he hung up on me.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
TEIInnkeeper, Owner at Trail's End Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
This individual never stayed with us. He called and we informaed him that due to a recent experience (the guests who posted a review on October 17) we were not accepting small children due to the fact that some small children were not well behaved and therefore were disruptive for the enjoyment by other guests. I informed the person that we could not allow this behaviour. He called back and was very beliigerent about the fact that our web site said children under 2 yrs old stay free. I again verbally informed him of our policy had changed as a result of our recent encounter and I told him that the web site had not yet been changed. The individual, continued to insist that the web site said children under 2 stayed free to which I finally said that is what it says,but is not current and after the third time of covering the same ground, I hung up.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene Valley
#28 of 31 in Lake Placid
Placid Bay Inn
Placid Bay Inn
#1 of 14 in Lake Placid

Been to Trail's End Inn? Share your experiences!