“Always good”

Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“Always good”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Great food, cozy environment. We always have a meal here when we are in town. The porch in the summer is nice too, but nothing fancy.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Jamey D

Bronx
“Tasty hearty fare after a hard day's hike/ski/climb”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

There is a warm fire in winter which adds to the ambiance in this mountain village inn. Local beers are available on draft and there is a good bottled beer selection also.
Food is primarily pub appetizers, burgers and sandwiches and all are well made. I had the smoked trout appetizer that would make an entree in its own right. The chicken wings are also recommended but be warned - the sizzlin' ones are searingly hot and spicy!
We have always arrived early enough to get a table and receive prompt service but it appears reservations for dinner on weekends and holidays or for large groups is recommended.

Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So great we went twice in one weekend!”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Came upon Ausable Inn on our way from NYC to Adirondack Loj to climb Mt. Marcy. We originally stopped for their attached liquor store, but stayed for dinner because of the good smells from the restaurant. After meeting super friendly staff & locals, we stayed the night in one of their inexpensive rooms, which was clean & cute. Dinner was so good, drinks were so cheap, the room was so cozy, we came back the next night & saw a lot of the same people & met even more. Plus we had just gotten engaged that day & they celebrated with drinks & fun all night. We stayed that night too. The friendliest bar/restaurant with the friendliest locals I've ever been to!

• Visited December 2012
Plattsburgh, New York, United States
“Tipping scam”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were a party of ten on the night before this past Thanksgiving. Our food was OK but then the "fun" started when we submitted our credit card and got a slip with just a charge of over three hundred on it and nothing itemized. When I asked for an itemized bill I was told they were not computerized and could/would not furnish one. I asked if they could at least furnish a calculator tape of our items. The bar tender (Owner's son?) told me to pay the F..ing bill and get the hell out of there. The waitress then gave me her order slip and I noticed there was a 20% tip included while there was also an open tip line on the credit card receipt. She never told us the tip was already included in the amount on our credit card invoice. What a rip off place. Have eaten there before under previous owners and never had a problem. In fact met my wife there so it had held a special place in our hearts. No longer. We will never return and will tell all we can to stay away. They have no clue how to be in the customer service business.

• Visited November 2012
16 Thank Lynne G
“Fantastic Hungarian Mushroom Soup”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We enjoyed two meals at the Ausable Inn. The chicken entrees were good, but the best parts of the dinner were the soup and pumpkin bread pudding. The Hungarian Mushroom Soup was so delicious that my husband had to have it again for lunch the next day. I opted for their tasty chili - quite satisfying.

Visited November 2012