“Fantastic find!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Fantastic find!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stumboed upon this cafe on our way from Lake Placid to Vermont and we ar surely glad we did! I had an omelete stuffed with fresh grilled corn off the cob with Gruyere cheese and fresh heirloom tomatoes. It was to die for! I wasnt to try and re-create it at home. The veggies tasted like they had just grabbed them from the back garden. Very cozy, charming place. Be prepared to wait but it is well worth it. They take their time and do it right. Just linger and enjoy. We will certainly be back!

Keene, New York
“You won't leave hungry!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The ADK Cafe is doing a great business! Almost every time I drive by during the high tourist season here in Keene the front lot is well occupied. It is located at the crossroads of 73 and 9N on the route to and from Lake Placid directly across from the old and closed Elm Tree Inn (known as Purdy's to locals) and next door to the lovely rustic Dartbrook Lodge. Parking can be a problem, but they must be doing something right to attract all those folks.

My husband and I visit throughout the year and are usually greeted by one of the owners, either Fiona or Larry. Fiona is always charming and truly interested in your opinions and preferences. The cafe is open year-round.

Every staff member appears to work hard to do what's necessary to keep customers happy. Yes, the place does get busy and sometimes the staff is young and maybe a little inexperienced, depending on the season. The menu in house and the specials board do have listed prices, contrary to what another reviewer reported. There shouldn't have been any surprise about the thirty dollar total for two good-sized lunches and beverages. The same reviewer complained about no placements. True. This little cafe is rustic with Adirondack style furniture, slate tile floor, and a panoramic mural depicting our local mountains. No, it is not a cushy formal dining room with cloth napkins. It is a casual eating place with appropriate ADK style.

The food is hearty fare, especially good if you have just come off the hiking trail or want a substantial breakfast before a big hike. That critical review didn't mention whether or not the patrons were satisfied with the quality of the food. Well, I am "from around here" and am going to give an honest review. I've been very pleased with the large omelets at breakfast, served with a choice of fresh ingredients, potatoes, and thick toast. Just beware the gigantic French toast! Three thick slices are too much for one person. Lunchtime sandwiches are tasty and filling. Dinners. Oh, my! Try the roast chicken with killer mac and cheese on the side and you'll take half home to enjoy again later. Or maybe the tasty meatloaf. Comfort food of good quality. Don't feel like meat? The creative earth plate of assorted delicious grains, bean spreads, and veggies which vary with the harvest may please you. Most of the food is local and organic. I don't care for the lasagna, though. Too rich for me. Just come hungry. The prices for those dishes are certainly reasonable at about 15-20 dollars. The steak specials are pricier. Dessert? All baked on the premises. Want a drink? Maybe the maple margarita made with fresh lime juice. Ask for a little extra maple syrup if it's too tart. You will be accommodated. The desserts are made on the premises. The lemon shaker is an intense sweet-tart classic, but I like the plum.

A little more honest criticism now: the wine is pretty expensive and they really need to get that beer tap going. It's often on the fritz or all out. Bottled beer is available, but there's nothing like a freshly pulled tap beer after a long hike. Also, come with your credit or debit card. This is a no cash establishment. But, we're happy to have the ADK Cafe just down the hill and don't mind asking for a fork or napkin if one was accidentally omitted.

U.S.A
“Delicious Food, Excellent Service”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

During a hiking trip my friends and I stayed just down the road from the ADK Cafe and felt compelled to have dinner there after noticing the full parking lot. This restaurant uses fresh, local ingredients and the staff is very friendly and helpful. We ordered a veggie flatbread to share and were told by two different staff members that it would take 45 minutes because it is made completely from scratch. Since we were well informed about this we really didn’t mind and I have to say, it was worth the wait! Absolutely delicious! The menu is rather limited and they have a daily special so it can be somewhat unpredictable. However, I recommend giving it a try and suspect most people would be very pleased.

“Great place all around”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for fresh, homemade food, excellent all around staff, dining and an experience this is your place.

Lake Placid, New York
“Not impressed”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

A friend and myself stopped at the restaurant on the way back from Schroon Lake, No place mats on table, no silver ware, We got a menu and noticed no prices on it for any thing. We went and ordered a Ruben and a burger with cheese and bacon, fires and 2 sodas. My friend had to ask for a fork, I was never offered one. We never got a napkin to wipe the face with so I guess the sleeve of the shirt is what that is for. The fact they do not take checks was not a huge problem but was a bit taken aback by the total of over $30 for the meal. My friend was treating and felt this was a but steep and decided that he was not doing a tip...

I witnessed another person wiping tables with window cleaner, I worked in food service and can tell you that you don't clean tables with a spry bottle of window cleaner and you for certain don't spray a table next to folks who are eating still.....

I frankly was not impressed and feel that those who have posted with positive views are not from around here. I had head a lot of advertising for the place on a local radio station which is why I suggested we stop there but after this experience I can almost for sure say never again....

Unless you have lots of money and like surprises such as the price of a meal then give this place a pass.

• Visited September 2013

Been to ADK Cafe? Share your experiences!