“In the middle of nowhere and worth the trip”

Baxter Mountain Tavern
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Keene
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Wilton, Connecticut
“In the middle of nowhere and worth the trip”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I love Baxter Mtn. The portions are large, the staff is friendly, the prices are reasonable and there is a great mix of locals and snooty Ausable Clubbers. My all time favorite is the Maple Walnut Bread Pudding. For dinner it's either a burger or fettuccini alfredo with chicken. I can't believe the earlier review where they whined about splitting out every persons meal. Get real. If you go out with friends it's a straight chop, if you eat or drink less tough. Don't go out if you can't afford good times with good friends.

• Visited July 2014

Princeton, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good view & avoid the fries”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I was happy that they had grass-fed burgers and the one I ate was good. The french fries were oily and floppy. I told the waitress so I hope they will be better next time. I was there for lunch and the service was good and friendly.

• Visited May 2014
Rochester, New York
“Our favorite local restaurant”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We have a second home in Upper Jay and have been going to Baxter Mountain Tavern for years. It is our favorite local restaurant. It is at the top of a pass and the location and view is great. It is almost across the street from the shorter of the two Baxter Mountain trailheads. The food is generally very good to excellent. Because it is out of the hustle and bustle of Lake Placid, it gets more of a local crowd and far fewer tourists. And it just has a cozy friendly feel to it. My favorite dish has always been the pork chops.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Brad145
“Comfortable quiet restaurant”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Simple well made food perfect for an after hike dinner. Quick pleasant service as well. Lovely views if dining before sunset.

Visited September 2013
Upstate, NY
“What a fantastic gem!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We hiked Baxter mountain for a fantastic sunset and were starving by the time we reached the car. Then we just stumbled upon the tavern. It doesn't look like much, but judging from the packed parking lot we figured we'd give it a try.

The service was warm, welcoming and overall excellent. The food just exceeded my expectations. I can't wait to go back and try some other dishes. I just wish they'd bottle their house made bacon dressing to me to take home!!

• Visited September 2013