“new restaurant, some potential but lots of kinks to work out”

The Local Table & Tap
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Local opened just a few weeks before our visit. It was launched by two graduates from a well-respected regional culinary program, SUNY-Sullivan. It's trying to locally-source as much food as possible. It has a good location and the menu has potential, but they've got a lot of kinks to work out.

High points:

outstanding fish and chips. No, really. I've had a lot of fish and chips, including some from England's more-famous chip shops, and this is about the best I've had. The breading was thin, tasty and virtually greaseless. The fish was moist and flavorful. The chips were hot and tasty.

really good wild mushroom ravioli - generous portion, nicely sauced, maybe a bit heavy on the garlic

nice selection of regional beers, though a couple were very hoppy. I'd ask for a sample before ordering an unfamiliar brew.

Low points:

the waitress was clueless. Utterly. She knew nothing about the beers and little about the food. It was clear she'd never tasted much of what she was serving, which strikes me as an inexplicable lapse in training. There was a chocolate-and-peanut butter marquis on the day's menu and she had no idea of what that was. The dessert item labeled "lemon berry mascapone" (a lightly-lemoned cake, mascapone icing, berry drizzle) was a mystery to her; when we asked what it was, she could do no more than repeat the three words on the menu board.

the noise was relentless. It's a fairly small, open room with hard walls and nothing to break up the sound. I could barely hear my dinner companion, seated within two feet of me. Tapestries, plants ... something is needed to diminish the din.

the bread was served with a tapenade, which was nice but butter would (for those of us who don't like olives) would have been nicer. Perhaps if the waitress mentioned that the dinner bread comes with a tapenade, that would open the opportunity for a special request?

the spinach-and-artichoke appetizer was a major miss. It had the consistency of a bowl of cream of mushroom soup (and a similar flavor) with whole spinach leafs, chunks of artichoke and no discernible cheese flavor. It was served with over-toasted bread disks. The combination of a disk that shattered when you bit into it and large leafs that resisted tearing made each bite an adventure.

finally, as the reviewer UnklLes mentioned, the management was invisible. There was a young man who wandered around the room from time to time, looking managerial and slightly distracted, but there was no point at which he actually spoke with any of the diners. That seems like a missed opportunity for a new business trying to build relationships and good buzz.

We wish the guys well. It strikes us that the problems were encountered were correctable, but really need to be corrected.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

In the old Luzon Station location (sounds like I'm a poet) this place took over. I didn't like Luzon but all I can say is --Bring It Back.

The deck is GREAT. Looking out onto the lake. Stop in for drinks then eat somewhere else.

There were four of us on the deck (2 parties of 2) It took the four of us 4 askings to turn off the music or put on something more fitting for a dinner meal. It was bad rock. They finally put on Dave Mathews and did lower the sound. Dave Mathews isn't my idea of dinner music but it was MUCH better.

The bread was fresh and the olive spread with it was tasty.

Now to be fair I did hear the other couple say they were enjoying their food. And then a fifth party came in and said it was his 3rd time. Different tastes.

The Classic Steamers weren't classic (their own sauce) and WEREN'T steamers. They were steamed clams which, if you know steamers, aren't steamers. I ate them but complained of the false advertising on the menu.

The Mac & Cheese was awful. My wife had one bite and that was all.
My chicken dish was passable. Barely.

None of this was the waitresses fault. She was friendly and professional and gave us good service.

You would think when a customer complains, even a little, the owner or at least the manager would come out to find out what was wrong. They didn't. The waitress gave our complaints, the music the steamers the mac & cheese, to the bosses and no one came out to talk to us.

For me this was a two trip experience---FIRST AND LAST.