“An excellent visit to this section of NYS”

Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Johnstown
Hopewell Junction, New York
“An excellent visit to this section of NYS”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was nicely surprised who well I was received by the front desk people and staff. The room very clean and comfortable. We received various coupons from the front desk. The restaurant food was super as well as the service.

Room Tip: Corner rooms were quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Originally, I had booked the Microtel based on the poor reviews on TripAdvisor. My family persuaded me to stay with everyone else as this was a family wedding we were attending. I relented and booked our room here. In the end, I was glad I didn’t let the reviews dissuade me from staying here. I thought I was running into the often mentioned customer service issues when I tried to reserve a room for a wedding I was attending. They apparently start out every answer to questions about putting groups of people in rooms near each other with the “we can’t guarantee it” monologue. Look – I am not looking for a guarantee. I am looking for a response as to whether or not you can even be bothered to try. With a 4-6 month notice, it shouldn’t really be an issue. Basically my aunt had to threaten to stay somewhere else to get three of our rooms together. Members of the party who weren’t so insistent were scattered all over the hotel. Also, my one brother (the groom) had to get involved when my other brother was told that they couldn’t guarantee an adjoining room for his 3 and 4 year olds. Adjoining rooms were provided in the end. So the answer is they can handle these sorts of requests if they want to, regardless of the speech about not being able to guarantee it.
Otherwise, on property, I had no complaints about customer services and found the staff very friendly and accommodating. I like that the bedding is completely changed every day, and that the bathrooms were very clean. I have my doubts about the carpet in the rooms – never felt clean on my feet and my concerns were confirmed when my son ran around in the room with white socks, which became coal black socks on the bottom. I think the carpets need a good shampooing occasionally.

The restaurant was decent and very reasonably priced. The service proved to be a bit unpolished – water glasses un-refilled, guests not informed of items that they were out of before ordering them, table clean up (first night we arrived later than most, and some family joined us while we ate – their overflowing dirty table where they had eaten earlier was still there and sat there the entire time we were there – they even sat another couple right next to it). But he ladies were friendly to our party.
There really aren’t many choices in Johnstown. I guess I would stay here again, but I really can’t imagine being in Johnstown, NY again – really ever.

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Having read some poor reviews of this hotel, I was a bit nervous staying here with my family of young children. What a surprise! The staff was so nice, friendly and pleasant. The rooms were very clean and the linens were sparkling clean. The restaurant staff was very accommodating.

The staff allowed us to check in early and gave us additional time, past our late check out, to vacate the room.

I have stayed in 5 star hotels and have not received this treatment. I would stay here again!

Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I booked a room here because the Microtel was full, and I was very pleasantly surprised!! First of all, NO pet deposit... saved $10 there. They have a designated area of the hotel for pets, and there is a well lit, relief area with clean-up bags and trash cans, right outside the door... most excellent. The room was very clean and very quiet... much more peaceful than the Microtel was.
The staff was very friendly and warm.
I had a AAA rate, so the room was cheaper than the Microtel... sure, no "Continental" breakfast was included, but for a reasonable amount you can purchase a continental breakfast and have it delivered to your room. So, with what I saved on a pet fee, and the cheaper rate, I got a "free" breakfast delivered right on time, to my room.
The shower was excellent - great water pressure and very clean.
The Holiday Inn is now my first choice hotel when I stay in Johnstown. It was a very relaxing and pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Perrysburg, Ohio
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stay at a fair number of hotels throughout the year. When I dropped into this one fairly late one night -- without a reservation, I might add -- I wasn't expecting much. It's not in a big city, and it's a fair distance off the beaten path, but I all I was looking for was a decent night's sleep. What I found was a very clean, recently remodeled gem of an inn. And the staff were all very helpful, too.

To start with, I didn't have a printer, so I asked the night clerk to print out a page off the internet for me. But the internet was down when I asked, so she said she'd do it when it came back up. I was skeptical, of course -- you know how good intentions generally work out -- but when I went down in the morning, the print-out was there waiting for me. What a shock!

The room was very clean, including the carpet, and the bed was comfortable, the water pressure was good, the towel supply generous.

But the biggest surprise of all was the restaurant, where I ordered the standard cut of prime rib and got an inch-plus-thick hunk of delicious, tender beef with all the trimmings for just $22.

Truly, this is the best overnight stay I've had in years and I'm happy to be able to recommend it to other unsuspecting travelers. I found nothing at all to complain about and would welcome the opportunity for another stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank brineyman
Westchester, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Second stay this year, four of us in two rooms, again, for a family event. Other relatives in other rooms.

Front desk staff welcoming and very accommodating, getting us checked in promptly and into our rooms before the check in time. Permitted a late departure as well. Both gave us an opportunity to use the very clean quiet outdoor pool on a weekend with perfect weather.

Rooms spotless and decently appointed. Good shower, comfortable beds, a "soft" and "firm" pillow on each bed....not down but adequate. Coffee maker and a fridge.

While we were in no rush and we were a big group altogether, breakfast on a Sunday was fine but service a bit slow. Maybe they need a little more staff in the dining room? Food was fine.

Overall a tad better stay but that was because the pool was open and the sun shining. With a 11 AM checkout and a 3 pm check in and apparently few people staying over we were very happy to have the pool for ourselves for a couple of hours.

Would gladly return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jwsmd3
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We were headed towards Alexandria Bay from Cooperstown/Howe Caverns and needed a place to rest. I was happy they had vacancy considering there was a wedding party celebrating in the dinning area and most likely blocking up some rooms. It seemed like they were really enjoying there stay. I made the mistake of of booking through priceline for the wrong date. When we arrived they couldn't find our names in the system. This is when we realized our reservation was for the night before. Of course I could not get refunded by the hotel or priceline (I did'nt ask because I know the policy and I was truely upset with myself and ashamed), but it would have been nice if we got a small discount or breakfast? The man at the front desk just said we have a room but it will not be the rate you paid for... I understand it was totally my fault. I was already so embarrased, upset, and tired. We paid again, this time they charged us full price ($10 more? Lol) for our nights stay. At least I found my Triple A card after the fact for small discount. I pulled my partner outside to convince him to stay somewhere else, but we were too tired. We should have left. This is a small town and I'm sure the room would just have been empty if we decided not stay.... my fault all around. They had vacancy the entire night. I will not stay here again. Thank goodness the room was clean and comfortable. The room was nice and included a small fridge. I prefer hotels/Inns that are more personable, friendly and customer oriented. Surprised there was no continental breakfast. Should have stayed at Microtel, nearby. We were just passing through.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear MLPrieto,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I'm truly delighted you liked your room accommodations. We assure you that we are committed to delivering quality in all aspects of the guest experience. I am sorry that not everything measured up to your expectations. We appreciate your feedback which will help us improve our service and accommodations for each guest. We hope that you will consider giving us another chance in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Johnstown
Super 8 Johnstown/Gloversville
Knights Inn Amsterdam
Knights Inn Amsterdam
#2 of 2 in Amsterdam

Been to Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville? Share your experiences!