“RUDE, INCOMPETENT STAFF” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Johnstown
Buffalo, New York
“RUDE, INCOMPETENT STAFF”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I was stranded in Johnstown for a night and needed a room. The staff in this hotel was first off extremely rude. I did not have a credit card on my person so I had to have a family member fax an authorization form. During this process the front desk associate, (named Kyle) had to call his manager for every step or question in the process. After the authorization was complete he then asked me for a cc to swipe for incidentals, which was the root for the entire problem. Its like he wasnt even with me for the previous hour solving this problem. I didnt get to check in until around midnight and the room was 115 dollars, not worth it. My advise would be to keep driving right on past this place. Find a more populated place who will have hotels that will properly accomodate you and treat you politely.

Room Tip: Terrible service, loud ac units. Overall fairly awful stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
cmccredie, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Please accept our apology for the way in which you were treated by our front desk staff. Under no circumstances should a customer of ours be shown anything but the utmost respect.

Obviously, we haven't done our job in training our newest staff members to give our customers the courtesy and friendliness they have come to expect.

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. We've institutued a more rigorous training program to ensure that this behavior will not happen again. Your continued business means a great deal to us.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

A nice surprise to find this pleasant hotel just when we needed it. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and very well priced. Across the road is an excellent restaurant (not connected to the hotel) that we tried for dinner.

Room Tip: We preferred to have a room facing away from the highway.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review regarding the Holiday Inn Johnstown-Gloversville. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your pleasant experience during your stay.

We are always pleased to recieve praise and and acknowledgement of such a positive nature that we can pass along to our entire staff.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Warm Regards,
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Holiday Inns had such a bad reputation some years back that I have always stayed away from them if other options exited (because of poor quality, uncleanliness, thin towels, dime-sized soap etc.) But this was about the only game in town so several of us stayed here. The rooms are *much* better than I had remembered and very clean (although those skimpy towels are still pervasive). Two complaints: we had to turn off the toilet in the middle of the night because it keep making the noise when it's refilling after flushing. Second, the front desk staff for the most part is unprofessional and it's apparent they've had little, or no, training. At check-in, I asked to make sure I was billed for my guests' rooms. No problem, I was assured. Next morning -- each guest had his/her the bill under his/her door. And the young woman with the hiccups at check-in?She acted like it was no big deal. Totally unprofessional! Breakfast was good and the young hostess from Ft. Plain was delightful.

Room Tip: For dinner, go to Sam's a stone's throw away -- crowded, even on a week-night, with huge por...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
cmccredie, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville, responded to this review, May 24, 2013

By way of explanation (not excuse), we've had a change of personnel in our guest services department. Obviously, we haven't done our job in training our new people to give our customers the courtesy and attention to detail that they have come to expect.

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. We are instituting a more rigorous trainig program to ensure taht this behavior will not happen again. Your continued business means a great deal to us.

Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Holiday inn is my go-to hotel when I'm looking for somewhere to stay and have a choice across the board. It was more expensive than any surrounding hotel in its range but being a priority club member I decided to help up my points. While I did manage to talk them down a bit on the price I still paid more than the surrounding places.

The room was nice (king bed and couch) but nothing exceptional. The bathroom disappointed me a bit. There was only a stand up shower and the enclosure did not completely cover the area. This allowed water to splash out on to the floor even with the head tilted to minimize splash. When I stepped out the floor, and the towel I laid down, was completely soaked. The housekeeping service just phoned it in too. They did re-make my bed but completely neglected the coffee maker or a replacement coffee pack.

I was told by the business I was visiting that the restaurant there was one of the best in town. The food WAS superb and reasonably priced but the service left some to be desired. The selection of beers was also incredibly dull and bottom shelf.

All in all I'm surprised that this location can afford to charge what they do for what little you get. Unless you have a free night coming to you, the neighboring venues provide a superior value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your recent stay at our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the less-than satisfactory experience. Since you're accustomed to staying at our hotels all over the country, you must know how much we pride ourselves on our service and attention to detail. Please be assured we are taking measure to correct the shower situation in all of our King size guest rooms. We are taking steps to install new sliding doors which will alleviate the design flaw that we are now dealing with.

I am sorry that housekeeping was not up to par during your visit. We've taken corrective measures to prevent such occurrences in the futures.

Thank you for the compliment regarding our restaurant food. I apologize that their were not enough beers to your liking, we are always willing to take suggestions from customers and possibly add to our selection.

Your pationage is important to us, and we hope that you'll continue to give Holiday Inns an opportunity to serve you.

Westchester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

One night stay for a family event. Several relatives also stayed. Maybe the priciest option in the region.

Check in quick and pleasant with AAA discount, a little snack bag for being Priority Club and coupon for $6 off breakfast each bringing up the overall value. Room kind of narrow but attractive, clean with some quality touches like good blackout curtains, snap in liner shower curtain on a curved rod, granite large counter, Bath and Body Works amenities, coffee machine, fridge and microwave, etc. The thin duvet is polyester fiberfill which was a bit matted with a couple of tiny stains (I doubt they change those between guests), the pillows (labeled soft and firm) were too thick, firm, lumpy and universally hated by everyone. The walls are a little thin but on our Saturday night it was pretty quiet. Plenty of parking out front along road with lots of lighting.

Staff at reasonably priced breakfast was very accommodating of our large family group, rearranging tables, gracious and efficient in making separate checks. Service and coffee refills came promptly. Outdoor pool closed of course.

Bottom line....it's not the Ritz Carlton, but, except for the pillows, it was just fine. With a family event coming this summer I suspect we will all be back (bringing our own pillows of course).

Room Tip: You either face th front and parking lot (I don't know how sound proof they may be) or the bac a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
cmccredie, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear JWSMD3,

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken your comments into consideration regarding the bedding and pillows that you were dissatisfied with.
Once again, your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.

L.I., NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I had another good experience with a H.I. at this site. Needed to stay somewhere near Northville and this H.I. had a good rate and decent reviews. Staff were friendly, even the restaurant staff, the bagel I had was delicious and fluffier than most. Room was clean and comfortable, bathroom spotless. Got help from front desk in getting the Northville next day, very nice young man. I would return next ski season, which is why I was up in Northville!

Room Tip: Ask for the scenic view - they're in the back on the second floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Kim S.,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent visit. We are always pleased to recieve acknowledgment for a job a well done. Your comments will be shared with the entire staff.
Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Newport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Although this was a last minute decision to stay here, so I was unable to do any research. My experience was that it was very shoddy. The beds had not been changed from the previous occupants ( evidence of food in one bed). We ordered two meals. When they arrived the one was incorrect and it took at least half an hour for the correct one to arrive but cold. The management were not concerned and did not offer a recompense as they had the managers daughters wedding to be concerned with!!!!. Not your usual Holiday Inn standard.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank USArover1960
cmccredie, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear USArover1960,

Thank your for the review of the Holiday Inn, Johnstown-Gloversville, NY, regarding your experience during your stay in September. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the restaurant food and room quality.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accomodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we recieve from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inns for your future travel needs.

Holiday Inn, Johnstown-Gloversville, NY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Johnstown
Super 8 Johnstown/Gloversville
Super 8 Amsterdam
Super 8 Amsterdam
#1 of 2 in Amsterdam

Been to Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville? Share your experiences!