“Very Poor”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Johnstown
Newport, United Kingdom
“Very Poor”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Although this was a last minute decision to stay here, so I was unable to do any research. My experience was that it was very shoddy. The beds had not been changed from the previous occupants ( evidence of food in one bed). We ordered two meals. When they arrived the one was incorrect and it took at least half an hour for the correct one to arrive but cold. The management were not concerned and did not offer a recompense as they had the managers daughters wedding to be concerned with!!!!. Not your usual Holiday Inn standard.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank USArover1960
cmccredie, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear USArover1960,

Thank your for the review of the Holiday Inn, Johnstown-Gloversville, NY, regarding your experience during your stay in September. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the restaurant food and room quality.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accomodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we recieve from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inns for your future travel needs.

Chris McCredie
Manager
Holiday Inn, Johnstown-Gloversville, NY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I don't want to say ALL of the service was bad - there were some good moments. The front desk staff was friendly, efficient, and responsive. And the restaurant servers were friendly and the breakfast came out fast (and was surprisingly good). But the restaurant hostess (when she was even AT the hostess desk) acted befuddled that she was even seeing other human beings, let alone guests in the hotel where she worked. Not unfriendly, per se, but no emotion whatsoever, and definitely not in the spirit of hospitality. Our biggest complaint, however, was the housekeeping staff. Sometimes, I like to leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door while I'm gone, because I have papers lying around, or electronics sitting out, or just don't want someone coming in, in general. We left the Do Not Disturb on our door the first day, and the housekeeping staff called (as they should) later that day to ask if we wanted service - we said no, but thank you. The second day, when we returned to our room, the housekeeping staff had flat-out ignored the Do Not Disturb sign, and gone into our room. This irritated me, but what added insult to injury was that the housekeeping job they did wasn't even complete! The empty Kleenex box hadn't been replaced, the pillow decorations were still on the floor where I discarded them the night before, and the dusty shelves in the bathroom were STILL dusty. If you're going to ignore my Privacy sign, at least do a thorough job! ....All in all, it was a fine stay - but the service was lacking in enough areas that that was my general impression upon leaving.

Room Tip: Two-thirds of the hotel is on the ground floor - request a non-ground floor room if you want one.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mcqker
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear mcqker,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I appreciate the compliments about our front desk staff and the level of service provided. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the housekeeping services may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
NY
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed in the height of leaf-peeping season. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean, and quiet. The bed was comfortable.
We enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant and were delighted at the restaurant choices in the nearby towns of Gloversville and Johnstown.

Room Tip: I enjoyed my stay so much I returned a month later. The area is nice in all seasons but especially...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The rooms are very well maintained and comfortable. Food is good too. The only reason i have not given them five stars is because there is no complimentary breakfast which I believe can be added for the price that they are charging.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank INglobetrotterUS
Greenville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Holiday Inn Johnstown-Gloversville, NY is a picture perfect hotel sitting on a hill overlooking the downtown area of Johnstown. We had reserved a room and the inprocessing was handled quickly. The hotel appears to have had a major renovation within the last year, everything was sparkling clean, inside and outside. Our room was nice size with all the usual amenities and a hair dryer in the bathroom with a night-light. Checking in - we were given credit coupons @6.00 each, redeemable if we ate in the inhouse restaurant. The next morning, we went to the restaurant and our server, Martha, was excellent. We ordered breakfast items, eggs, meat, etc.; food was served hot but very poor quality - I can only recommend that you eat somewhere else at least for breakfast. That evening, around supper time, our room was filled with food cooking odors, not offensive, just out of place/time. The odor was also in the 2nd floor hallway and after about 2 hours it went away. In the meantime, I called the front desk clerk who said she would notify her supervisor - no response from supervisor. I critiqued the inhouse survey and notified the front desk when we checked out the next morning. Without the restaurant experience(s) I would have no complaints at all.

Room Tip: All the room are newly renovated, clean and quiet in a beautiful setting.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My family attended the passing of my nephew. My sister has been staying at this Holiday Inn for years in conjunction with Lexington Park, a home for the disabled. She makes this her "home away from home" when coming to see her severely disabled son. We now understand why. Excellent service, clean, and comfortable. Incidentally, the restaurant in the Inn was quite good. Their Manhattan Clam Chowder was superb.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stafford
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We were in town the weekend before Thanksgiving so my wife could visit her ailing grandmother and stayed at the Holiday Inn. The hotel is clean, the staff was corteous, the restaraunt was decent, and the bed was comfortable. However, the King room was quite small and the shower definately left something to be desired. The shower is a walk-in (which was fine), but had no shower curtain or shower doors. It has a single glass panel that doesn't even cover half of the shower, so unless you stand directly under the water, you freeze and water gets all over the floor. Would definately ask for extra towels. Be careful where you park also. Sunday night I parked in the front lot under a lamp post along Comrie Ave, and at some point my vehicle was vandalized. I asked the manager on duty to review the security camera's in the parking lot, but was told there were none. I don't fault the hotel for the vandalism, but had they had some form of surveillance, we may have been able to prove who did it.

Room Tip: Very quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CRLStafford
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Johnstown
Super 8 Johnstown/Gloversville
Super 8 Amsterdam
Super 8 Amsterdam
#1 of 2 in Amsterdam

Been to Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville? Share your experiences!