“Not the same”

Johnson Hall State Historic Site
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I grew up in Johnstown and had been to Johnson Hall many times starting back in the 60's. I loved going there for the history and just a nice quiet place to relax and enjoy the peaceful lawns and gardens. I recently returned with my British husband as I had been telling him how wonderful it was. I have to admit I was very disappointed. I remember when you could just go in the front door and wander around by yourself, or take a guided tour for free and just take your time to really soak up the history and surroundings. This time we had to go out back to buy a ticket, wait while the guide unlocked the back door, and follow him and other people around while he talked. The inside just seemed very empty as if much of the furnishings and pictures had been removed. The entire experience seemed very sad to me as I had so many great memories of going there over the years.

4  Thank JM P
in 3 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 14 reviews

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Grew up in this area and have been here lots of times. I love coming back to reconnect with the history of the area. There are some Geocaches on the site as well.