“best food in the area”

Union Hall Inn
Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Johnstown
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Building dates from the 1700ds very old. Some original details have been saved. Family operated. It has a dining room and a bar section. Very inviting friendly staff, flexible with adapting to your individual wishes. Wine list is not very adventures, wines by the glass and full bar Interior changes with the season. Good menu with daily changing specials. I would call the style, european with a french twist. Catering is possible Have had dinner in this restaurant several times, never been disappointed so far. With not much choice in Johnstown this place is amust to try... Prices are some what high end, however very reasonable for what is served, portions are big.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Johnstown/Gloversville area has several good restaurants, but this one has the best overall food/service/ambience. The food is always excellent (very fresh) and the service very good to excellent, but expect a relaxed dining experience and atmosphere that is adult-oriented. It is family owned and operated and the attention to details shows. Lots of history here! They are excellent at accommodating special dietary needs as well. They also do catering and I would highly recommend them for that or small parties. Dining area is not large so reservations are a good idea, but there is also seating in the tavern area and walk-ins are welcome too. I've eaten here many times and the food is always delicious.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I used Union Hall Inn as our wedding reception caterer. The food was outstanding and the service was superb. We've also visited the restaurant several times and have always had a great meal. We highly recommend!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We took the long drive out from East Glenville, NY, the day of our first major snow storm and were greeted warmly within this historic 1798 inn. The well lit, colorful and festive dining room was comfortable and inviting. Our waitress was pleasant and friendly keeping our water glasses full. An excellent memory, she rattled off the numerous specials however, I would have liked them printed as it was difficult to recount them all. We did wait nearly an hour after ordering for our meals to arrive and the dining room was not crowded considering the weather. But then again, quality food takes more time to be prepared and the atmosphere is pleasant and conducive to conversation. The menu is varied so that you could order pub food , light entrees as well as the full entrees. My wife and older son ordered a cod dish which came with butternut squash soup and a corn fritter with real maple syrup. They were both satisfied. My younger son ordered broiled haddock which he enjoyed and I had a thick 8 oz sirloin with caramelized onions on browned whipped potato with asparagus. My only regret was that I ordered the steak medium well which came out closer to well done. Medium would have been a better choice. It was tasty nonetheless. Only two days after Christmas, we passed on desserts mindful of all the sweets at home and more to come as we head towards the New Year.
The bar area also looked inviting with a piano and on top, a turntable accompanied by two or three shelves of vinyl records. As a collector, I was tempted to look through them all.

3  Thank ScotiaCantor
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Very nice restaurant in a very old building, giving it a pleasant atmosphere. The place was very busy when I visited, but we got decent service and we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. There are a few seperate rooms; room in the back for larger groups, main room and a bar area in front.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Great food, service and pricing in a charming old building. I need to go back and sample the single malt scotches. Not for children.