“Getting very Old”

Ranked #7 of 13 Ndola B&B and Inns
Antananarivo, Madagascar
“Getting very Old”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

It was a terrible two days journey in this Hotel. It was recommended by friends who where here few years ago, when it used to be a great Hotel but I was so disappointed. Anything is working: lift stopped in each level before it can get you to the 7th floor, internet is every time down, the A/C is noisy but you hardly feel the cold, and the banquet at the restaurant is just a pure joke, they do not even offer cereals, nor fruits.
The good thing is that the staff try to be kind and courteous as possible to help the situation. The rooms are spacious but not very clean. I still noticed some thing thrown away the night before. So as for me, if you are on a business trip and you just need no more than a good bed it is OK but if you need to stay more in the room and enjoy the place , please try to find something else.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main entrance street are more spacious
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Alain H

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was at the Savoy in mid June 2012, it's centrally located in Ndola which makes it very convenient to walk to most areas in the central business district. I found that I could get to most places in about 20 mins or less. The Hotel does show it age and its a shame that the owners have not chosen to refurbish what should really be a wonderful hotel.

The staff on the whole are friendly, on more than one occasion I did find them to be a slightly unprofessional and inefficient. An example being the time I went for a grilled T-bone stake in the restaurant that is located next to the lobby. Got there just after 3 pm on a Saturday it was very quite, there were only two other tables that were occupied. I was met at the entrance with a pleasant greeting but was not directed to a table or asked if i wanted to see the menu. After getting myself seated it took a while for the menu to be brought, I had to ask for a drink twice because the first person I had asked seemed to have disappeared. The meal was fine I found it very unprofessional for the waiters and kitchen staff to shout instructions across the room while there still had guests in the restaurant. All in all it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Chisangap
Lusaka
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The Savoy is situated in the centre of Ndola town in the Copper rich province of Zambia. It is an old hotel bbut clean and the rooms are very spacious. I spent two nights in the hotel during a business trip and found it adequate. The staff were courtious. The food was not very good but I rarely enjoy hotel food. The main benefit of this hotel is that it is right in the centre of the town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Namukulo M
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is convenient for short stay and the staff are very friendly, something am not used to in this parts of Africa. They have free wifi in the lobby and the breakfast is sumptuous. Just watch out for the lift which takes ages to come if you are not on the ground floor.
Everything is within walking distance if you have business around town

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Khacheso
Fremont, CA
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Well you won't be in this part of Zambia (as a foreigner) unless you are working for a copper mining company or on some kind of relief project like myself. This hotel is from Ndola's glory days of the 60s and 70s and honestly doesn't look like its been updated since then. It could have once been a glamorous place to stay but all that remains is the tired pool, broken elevators (stops every floor and too scary to ride more than once), peeling carpet, cracked tiles, etc. Of course paying $100/night to stay here is beyond ridiculous for any Western standard but you don't have options out here (actually the Michelangelo is much nicer but was fully booked for the night in question). It has free wifi but its very slow, but at least it worked which is saying a lot in Zambia. Now the staff working the joint where friendly enough but why my 2-stars? (should be one probably)? Well I paid with my VISA (Amex was not accepted despite the sign with the card on it) as did my work colleague and our credit cards had THOUSANDS in fraudulent charges within 24hrs of checking out! We did not use our cards anywhere else and they where 100% positively lifted from this joint, so in summary if you have to stay here pay in cash!

Room Tip: suites are better for marginally more cost.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank arribasn

Travelers are raving about these Ndola hotels

Oklahoma City
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed at the Savoy for a week in early June. The staff was very helpful and always friendly. They upgraded our room to a suite, so we had two bathrooms, a real plus for us. We always had power and hot water, not our previous two experiences in the area. As with many properties in this part of the world, the furnishings were very dated and they could use some new carpet. But we did not encounter ANY bugs. There was a can of bug spray on the counter when we checked in but we never had to use it. The bed was comfortable, the shower had adequate water pressure, the toilet and sink both worked well. We had a small refrigerator and a hot water pot for instant coffee or tea, with all the supplies that go with those. We got clean towels everyday. Each room also had a large mirror with good lighting and big windows and an air conditioner. Our living area had a small flat screen TV, a coffee table, and two arm chairs. We found the rooms to be very comfortable.
We were on the 6th floor. To get the elevator, we could call the desk and they would bring it up. Usually, a person was operating the elevator. We never experienced any lurching or getting stuck. Wireless internet was available sometimes on the ground floor. The food was adequate. They had a limited menu but it tasted fine.
We used their conference rooms. The rooms were always ready for use and cleaned when we arrived in the mornings. The "house band" even showed up for lunches, I think they were playing for tips. We were quite delighted to hear them play John Denver's "Country Road." They had a pool with water in it but never saw anyone using it.
The staff was always friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: Ask for it, they aren't real busy.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank EdwardsOklahomaCity
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 2, 2009

One wants to be fair in developing nations and not impose Western standards in such reviews. However, the first word that comes to mind when entering a room at the Savoy is: grim. Or possibly: yard sale. It's definitely a hotel that has seen better days. Every room has items that have been cobbled together from the remnants of other rooms. Many items are stained or threadbare. Bugs are a serious problem. Most of my party had to switch rooms at least once due to cockroaches. Some found roaches crawling in their beds. I got stuck in the elevator as it lurched from floor to floor, gyrating wildly between floors and finally opening in between levels. I never took it again, preferring to climb four levels every day instead of risking my safety. And on top of that, the hotel plays the same Dolly Parton CD day in and day out, beating you into submission with her chirping. Even when we directly asked about it, the music never changed--except to one day with a CD of Kenny Rogers doing cover songs. In Ndola, Zambia?! Quite bizarre. Even the staff was driven crazy by whomever was in charge of the CD player. The bill-keeping was also strange. When it came time to check out, I was given a handwritten note of the final tally and had to insist on a total invoice of the room and service charges. It took about an hour to reconcile. And the internet access that was advertised and promised never materialized. However, even with these problems, I can say that most of the staff was cheerful, eager to serve, and hard-working. The food was good and served relatively quickly each day. Breakfast was included and was ample. The lunch and dinner menus were satisfactory for Western appetites, which was good because few other restaurants in the area were safe/clean enough for tourists. Bottom line: We had seen the website for the hotel in advance of our stay, which was a far cry from the reality--which probably added to our disappointment. We would not recommend staying here, but at the Mukuba Hotel, which we visited several times during our stay in Ndola.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business