“Dated rooms with many problems; nice location”
Review of Lake Safari Lodge

Lake Safari Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Siavonga
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights. We arrived at 10pm (closely followed by another group who arrived separately) and reception and the bar were locked up with no one to be seen. Eventually someone managed to find the night watchman. I was put in room 3, which is one of the rondavels. It did have the biggest flatscreen TV I have ever seen, but otherwise furniture was sparse - only a bed, small table for the kettle and mini refrigerator. No chair, nowhere to hang clothes etc. There was also ant infestation. In the bathroom I found that if I didn't turn off the water to the toilet, it dripped constantly and eventually flooded the floor. Having to turn water on and off at the mains every time you want to flush the loo seems a bit extreme! There was no hot water either, and the water pressure was variable (although I suppose that is not restricted to the hotel). I only ate breakfast in the restaurant area, which was nice with a great view over the lake - but my colleagues were disappointed to find no fish on offer either night from the a la carte menu.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank FrequentTravellerKV

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Great location with great food. Nice pool and bar. Definitely recommend anyone to stay there. Enjoyed being there for the recent music festival there. Great place also to be for the music performances for the festival as well.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a night in Dec 2013.The lady at the reception treated us quite badly and as we asked for a discount she told us to go to a cheaper place. they do not have any activities in the dam except a boat ride of which to go, you must pay even for the empty seats.The rooms are being renovated and you meet the construction as you are going to your room. She refused to show us all the available rooms claiming some of them we too expensive for us. I will never recommend this place to anyone and i will not be coming back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Miss B K
LakeSafariLodge, Owner at Lake Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Hi Missment K,

We apologize for your miss treatment. Lake Safari Lodge endeavors to make everyone's stay the most pleasant.

Our boat cruise charges are per cruise. I am sorry to hear that your were unhappy with the experience.

We have been doing a lot of renovations lately, this is to keep our standards up and giving our clients the best value for money.

If there is anything I can do please contact me and I will try help.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Place correct and relaxing for a week end of leisure out of town.
We were quite satisfied with the location, room quality which made our stay enjoyable
However, environment lacked of warm, which would have made the stay even more enjoyable

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My colleagues and I stayed at this hotel for a workshop for about 2 weeks. It was apparent from the time we arrived that there were issues already festering! Rooms were kept unclean and previous water damages to walls for example were not repaired. Let's just say for all the hype I received about this lodge, it was disappointing to see that this lodge was not living up to its standard! To get the rooms as clean as it should be, my colleagues actually had to supervise the cleaning--where is the supervisory lodge staff to do this? Good question! Anywho, I think you get the picture so we move on! The first night we were there, it was good to see that they had a menu from which we could order from. Granted it took a while before food arrived, but that's normal under the circumstances since we were a large group and there were other working groups there attending their conferences. The food was ok--I guess you can't get to imaginative about an omelette. The second and following nights, however, were truly disappointing. I guess because of the sheer numbers, the management decided to go buffet style. Great! If there was a variety of food to eat and it seemed to us that what was served at dinner may have been warmed up and served at lunch! Very little we tasted actually seemed fresh!! And for my colleague who was vegetarian, when we asked if there was anything vegetarian they could cook, their reply was--look here we have vegetables (pointing to two dishes of just vegetables and rice)!!! Really!!! They absolutely refused to make any exceptions, even for my friend's children who had accompanied her! One other example comes to mind- my friend had pleaded for chips for her kid! Simple to make and truly it was only for one child! Of course the answer was no. Another family, may be friends of the owner, arrives and orders what ever they fancy--including chips! And sure enough, they get their chips! My colleague was very distraught at the treatment she had received and complained very bitterly--eventually they made chips for child! Again I say- really!? Is this how you treat your guests? These are only a few examples of issues we encountered! I could certainly go on, but I think you get the picture! So we made our away to other lodges to have dinner--it was great--cheaper for one and with greater variety of great tasting food! The only great thing about the lodge was the view of the lake, which all lodges that neighbor this lodge have! This lodge has great potential to be good--they need to improve on customer service as well as cleanliness! Otherwise, I say I am not a repeat customer!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2013

As weary missionaries we arrived at Lake Safari Lodge in need of a little TLC and down time. The owner and his family treated us with kindness and respect as if we too were part of their family. I hope on our next mission in Siavonga were able to stay there! Ask for a room with a view for sure! Also, I LOVED their breakfast!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and i stayed for two nights at the lodge. We arrived in the night and wondered if the lodge was as depicted on the website because we could not see much. In the morning we were greeted by the lake,the view is just so amazing, better than the pictures. The hotel staff and management were friendly,we really felt at home. The food is amazing, i forgot about my morning sickness,there was just so much to choose from for all 3 meals. Maybe one small thing to take into consideration offering mosquito nets especially for those who wish to travel with young ones. these need not be a permanent feature of the rooms because they may distort the beauty but they can be installed when guests request for them. Our stay was wonderful,we plan to take our son and some friends this year,simply loved it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mwasepangwa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Siavonga
Lake Kariba Inns
#7 of 14 in Kariba
Manchinchi Bay Lodge
Manchinchi Bay Lodge
#2 of 6 in Siavonga

Been to Lake Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!