“Great little getaway from Lagos!”
Review of La Casa del Papa

La Casa del Papa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ouidah
“Great little getaway from Lagos!”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed in the "privilege double," which turned out to be wonderful! We had a bungalow all by ourselves with a nice front porch facing the ocean! Very relaxing! The room is nice and clean. The ground is well kept. We loved to walk over to the lagoon side and sit in the lounge in the middle of the lagoon! It's like we were in another world, isolated from the rest of the world around it. Since we were not there over the weekend, it was pretty quiet. However, I can image that the place can get quite crowded during the weedends and holidays. The food was good though a bit more expensive than other places in Benin. We weren't too keen on the voodoo stuff and did pretty well igorning it. But things relating to the history of the slave trade, including the slave route and the Chacha Square nearby, are worth visiting.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becky0222

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We travelled as a big group with friends for Spring Break. We were staying in the big cabanas at the far left of the oceanfront section. The room big was clean, spacios, we had a wonderful AC that never once failed on us, there was hot water every day and when we asked for extra pillows, our need was accomodated.

For such an underdeveloped country, this place truly stands out. Yes, the food is good but not top notch, and then again, one has to keep in mind where one is.

The pools are great, as we were in a group with kids and the three pools were perfect for their various ages. We had a problem with lunch one of the days (burnt pizza for the little ones) and the manager came out that night to talk to us and after apologizing profusely he sent an expensive bottle of water to our table.

I am very happy with this place, with the service and the accomodations. We want to come back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank caromitxirrika
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2012

After 40km drive, west of Cotonou on the "Route des Peches" along the beaches is OUIDAH, a must-see area if you are interested in Benin's history of slave trading. &km away from the town, you'll find the hotel "Casa del Papa". Great resort with bungalows facing the beach or the lagoon with swimming pools, volleyball and tennis court. You can rent canoes,pirogues and kayaks to explore the lagoon.
The service is great and the food is good and the bungalows are clean. A really relaxing place to go!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank brise1936
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed February 8, 2012

While we were staying in Cotonou, we visited Ouidah, which is an amazing little town,( less than an hr's drive from Cotonou) with tonnes of history. You must visit this town when in Benin.. REALLY amazing. So we spent the afternoon at the Casa del Papa and had lunch there. The food is fresh, (they have a kids menu that did not disappoint so that was a plus for us). The ambience is fanstastic and the beach was super clean. We felt so relaxed, we wished we had booked this hotel instead of the one we had booked in Cotonou, all the same, we will def stay here the next time we visit Benin.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Evezchild
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 night (3 day) stay at Casa del Papa. Three ladies - one Singaporean, one Nigerian and a Brazilian, based in Lagos and yearning for an oasis. After numerous attempts to stay here and constantly being told they were fully booked I was glad to finally get a booking. Be sure to book at least two weeks in advance.

Food for me, is quite a huge deal on my travels and can make or break a trip. After reading countless reviews, and being given tons of advice against the food at the hotel - I really expected the worst. The food was amazing! The local "poisson frit" (freshly grilled baracuda) with Moyo sauce and rice, a side of "piment" became a staple for us. The prawns with a steep price tag were divine and the calamari with rice was also amazing. The complimentary breakfast was also good, not mind blowing but croissants, fresh coffee, fruit and scrambled is more than one would ask for breakfast a la francaise!

The rooms were very clean and minimalist with rather effective air conditioning, we stayed in a "chambre double privilege" and had a supplementary bed as we were a party of three. The space was plenty and it almost felt like a little beach apartment, there is also a safe which you are advised to use, we did. The privilege rooms face the beach and waking up to the sound of the ocean was priceless. There are three pools - please use these and do not dare swim in the ocean if there is a red flag, I don't care how good a swimmer you think you are, those rip currents are an express route back to Lagos or Togo! My brazilian friend who lives in Rio commented that that was the first time she had ever been frightened enough not to venture into the ocean!

We spent a day kayaking in the lagoon (free), which was a highlight for me, and mini golfing (2,000 cfa per person). We spent the second day quad biking (20,000 cfa per person and A MUST DO) and visiting the temple of pythons, the voodoo palace and rue d'escalves (I have to say at 30,000 cfa the tour guide was quite the disappointment and eavesdropping the other french tour guides confirmed this). Fresh coconuts can be purchased at 100cfa.

My only major quibble is the car service offered by the hotel to transfer from Lagos to Ouidah, I would arrange a Nigerian car service as the driver refused to cross the border therefore leaving us at the mercy of blood sucking Benin Rep officials, I really expected the Nigerian side to be worse to my utter surprise, and a market full of pick pockets! Now don't think just go!

Room Tip: Priviledge rooms facing the beach and to the left are quieter, we stayed in a room at the very end...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank qleyo
England
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel at least 5 or 6 times over the past 3 to 4 years and I like the great scenery and the simple elegance of the rooms. Food is disappointing albeit adequate ...BUT BUT BUT this time (week end 3/4 Dec 2011) my bag was stolen with all my money (a lot of it ....as I was going on to Ghana), my passport and my camera. I had left my bag on the back of my chair when leaving the bar area to go to the swimming pool. When I realised and came back a few hours later, it was not there and it had not been handed in .... THERE IS NO SECURITY PERSONNEL AT ALL AND NO CCTV cameras in the whole of the resort. This is unnaceptable for a hotel where anybody, not only residents, can come in and just have a drink or a meal... It is well known that it is a hotel where people have money (as the rooms and the food are quite privey) especially that until very recently you could not use any credit card .... The hotel manager's attitude was also quite shocking : impatient, hardly polite and certainly not sympathetic to my plight ... When my group left the day after the theft, he did not even bother to come and wish us well nor inquire about my visit to the police station ... People in Benin are very hospitable and concerned with the well-being of foreigners so it is commercially suicidal to have such an individual as manager ... I would certainly hesitate to go again to the hotel if the security situation does improve and if the manager is not replaced .... For these reason I do not recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank Sonagnon
Frankfurt
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Directely located at the beach, great scenery, relaxing pool, but food was not so great!

The rooms are a bit pricy, but hot water and the aircondition was working well. This is surprisingly for an undeveloped country like Benin.

This is a good choice for staying one night over the weekend - even for wowen and bigger groups recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Leonie A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ouidah
Djegba Hotel
Benin Marina Hotel
Benin Marina Hotel
#11 of 23 in Cotonou
Myosotis Residence Hotel & Spa

Been to La Casa del Papa? Share your experiences!