“Great stay but left upset”

Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Jamestown
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My family and I live in Jamestown and were getting our bathroom renovated so we needed to stay at a hotel. We chose the Best Western because it's fairly new and located close to where we live. We were able to get the week in advance rate online so that was a plus. Nice atmosphere, very clean. Hotel staff friendly. Breakfast was good, there was a wide variety of food available. I used the fitness center, very small. Only a treadmill & elliptical but thats all I needed. Was going to go swimming in the pool but it's a salt water pool and VERY small so decided not to. Very small parking lot. Good luck finding a spot on the weekends. Because it was January and the very cold weather, we had a lot of condensation on the inside of the window and it made the floor all wet in front of the window. Originally we only needed to stay 5 nights but the reno got delayed and we needed to stay an additional 6 nights. When I told the girl at the desk we needed to extend our stay, she gave us new cards and said we were all set. The morning of check out we got the bill under the door and it was $300 more than expected. When we extended our stay an additional 6 nights they increased our rate $40 a night and we were not told. When checking out, I asked the lady at the desk about our bill and she said the rate changes all the time and it should have said on our confirmation when we booked online that rates are subject to change. I wouldn't have been as upset if they had at least told us the rate was going to go up but we were never informed and the fact that the lady wasn't very helpful or offered to take a portion off the bill really upset me. I will probably never stay there again because of that.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Melissa C, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

I apologize that you were not informed of the rate change during your stay. I agree that it is important to inform extended stay guests of this being a possibility. The front desk staff is not permitted to refund money but I did inform the staff that in the future I should be contacted to resolve the situation before the guest leaves. Please know your feedback is taken seriously and will be used to better our services in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here about 2/3 times and things were fine, the parking is a issue, but since I was early, I was fine. The normal stuff, drinking to much, and being loud, that didn't bother me.
I stayed here these weeks in a row, so as you know, you start to know the staff. Well, I called and said that it was me, and that I wanted a room. The girl said I'm not sure if we can, hold on, we have 1 room left. ( I thought that she was joking). ( I had been using a discounted room card, and with the hotel full, rooms are rented at a premium ) So, I'm on hold for while, I would still be on hold today. I think 3 minutes. Then I called back again, amd was put on hold.
I stay out 2/4 times a week between work, and family. I have not stayed at a Best Western since.
I noticed that the Manager was never there. When people would call them, they would say, " She was not here, call back later, or she will call you back". I think that the short chunky girl is the Manager, she just passed on the calls, because the first week they said she was on vacation. I asked the 2nd week if she was back, and it was a different story.
Anyway, I would have been happy to have paid the full price, so I could walk to the Cherry Lounge, and get those wings.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

We are sorry to hear that you were displeased with your stay. We use all feedback that we receive to better our services. I see your stay was a year ago and improvements have been made since then. Hopefully we will get an opportunity to serve you better in the future. Again, I apologize on behalf of the hotel and staff.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

The employees of the Jamestown, NY Best Western have what it takes to make one feel at home, they are kind and respectful. Would stay there again and again. Great place was made possible by its great staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Robin M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you for the nice comments. We try very hard to make all of our guests feel like they are part of the family.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 27, 2013

The staff and facility continues to be a 5/5 star! VERY friendly staff, great breakfast layout and choices, and the entire facility makes one feel very comfortable and welcomed! Laura, Buffy and Robin are the BEST!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Robin M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Thank you for the nice comments.

I do hope you will return.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

The Best Western Downtown Jamestown is the best place to stay when visiting Jamestown, NY. The rates are very competitive, and it's close to may attractions and services, including stores and restaurants, museums, businesses, and more. Amenities, including free breakfast, indoor pool, and free wifi, are great assets for any stay. The employees are top shelf, and they go above and beyond to serve guests. Definitely look this hotel up if you're staying in Jamestown!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Robin M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Thank you for the nice comments.

We love hearing what our guests have to say.

We also love having repeat guests stay with us. We fell like a family that way.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Got to spend a nice time in a great hotel. The staff was fantastic and went above and beyond. I will recommend this hotel to all friends and family. I will come back again. The breakfast was very nice and there was a lot of choices. The pool looked nice, even though we did not use it. Maybe next time I will be able to swim. Thanks for a nice get away.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Robin M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

I will pass your comments on to the rest of the staff. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I don't know when I have had a better hotel stay. Rooms are great. They are very spacious. Breakfast was much more than I could ever hope for at a hotel. The staff remembers all returning guests and calls you by name. You actually feel like part of the family. I will be staying here again and I will tell my friends and family to stay as well.

Room Tip: If you want to really enjoy your stay, pay the little extra for a King bed and a Jacuzzi.