“Poor customer service, no hot water”

Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Jamestown
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We traveled from Florida to New York for a family memorial service/family reunion. The morning of the service there was NO hot water. Upon asking the front desk about it we were told that they had already been notified and there wasn't anything wrong with the system. Two hours later still no hot water. Needless to say that evening there was NO hot water. We called the desk once again and we were told that there was nothing that they could do about it (very rudely I must say). I don't recommend this hotel, the customer service is horrible and the rooms smell like wet dogs as well. Will not be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank Shani k
Robin M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

I am very sorry about these issues. I am working very hard with the city and our plumber to find out what is going on.

I am not letting this slid or stop here. I am trying to get to the bottom of it.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hotel is located in downtown Jamestown, a few miles off SR-17, but worth it in terms of quietness. Room accommodations were clean and functional, there was a $15 surcharge for my cat. Breakfast was outstanding, scrambled eggs, sausage and fresh fruit. Ask at the front desk to find a good restaurant nearby. Best stay of the year anywhere this year.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Robin M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for the nice comments. We try very hard to run a good hotel and have a nice breakfast. Please stop back again if in the area.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

It is amazing how many reviews I've read that say that the internet access is less than stellar and still the manager is "so shocked" to hear that there is an issue. Clearly there is an issue! I experienced the same issue during my stay. The wifi is so slow (I was on the 2nd floor) that most of the time internet explorer would time out and give me a "Page cannot be displayed" error. Pictures on web pages wouldn't load. It reminds me of how terrible dial up access used to be. More access points need to be added if there are THIS many issues. I was here on business and it was CRUCIAL that I had good wifi. I had to leave the hotel and go to Starbucks to do work. That's not acceptable.

This hotel is worn and dated. Decor is old school early 90's with wallpaper and tacky curtains. to make matters worse, everywhere you look in the lobby area is cluttered with stuff. How many pamphlet holders, signs and misc. stuff do you really need sitting all over the front desk area? Ripping down the old worn wallpaper and giving the place a coat of paint, taking down the floral curtains would help immensely. Add to all of this that there is poor insulation in the hotel, doors slam and it will wake the dead. You can hear the room next door to yours flush the toilet and turn on the faucet as though they were in YOUR bathroom. And the heaters/air units are VERY loud with loud fans. If you are a light sleeper, you're going to need ear plugs.

Rooms are spacious so that is a plus. They were clean, another plus. But again, very dated. The only thing that looked to be updated recently was the bedding. And I appreciated that for sure as nobody wants an old worn looking bed spread. The individual cup coffee/tea makers in the room are great. Love the refrigerator in the rooms as well.

The staff is questionable here. Every single time I walked by the front desk area in the afternoon, the front desk agent was outside smoking a cigarette in front of the lobby and playing with her cell phone. Seriously, how many cigarettes do you need to have? That does not paint a professional picture of your hotel by any means. The breakfast was just ok. I don't drink coffee, but I drink tea so used the hot water in the canister and it was brownish tinted and even after putting my tea bag in it along with spenda, it totally tasted like coffee. Ridiculous.

I stay in hotels for business about 12 weeks a year and usually stay in Fairfields, Hilton Garden Inns or Springhills, but this was the only hotel in the downtown area close to where I would be working (the Ice Arena across the street). I wouldn't stay in this hotel again unless it was the last hotel in the area. While it was not the worst place I have ever been to, I feel that very little effort is being taken to make the place better. While things like loud air units and poor insulation are a problem, I understand that takes money to fix. But things like your front desk agents smoking like a chimney many times a day, talking on their cell phones, brown hot water in the canisters at breakfast, clutter all around the lobby...NONE of those things cost money to fix....just a little management.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JakeFlake
Robin M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

I am also very upset with things you mention in here. I do wish you had spoken to me before leaving.

When I am not here, I cannot see that goes on. My staff has been trained and trained well. I don't know what more to say.

Regarding the hot water, that is something I will be looking into. I have told them over and over again that when they Brew Hot Water to be sure and put a new filter in the holder. If we don't Brew hot water, it only stays hot about 1 hour.

As I have mentioned in prior reports, our internet is not that slow. I just tested it and it comes in at the following numbers.

Download is 11.68
Upload is 1.45

That is a lot better than where we were 2 months ago. I fought with ownership to increase and finally won.

I am sorry you will stay here.

Thank you for the nice mention or our bedding and breakfast.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The A/C sounded like a helicopter, impossible to sleep with it on, so basically I had to leave it running all day long to deep freeze the room, and turn it off when I'd go to bed. It was not even very warm that week, and my room was towards the north, I can't imagine the other side of the corridor.
The ice machine next to my door was quite audible inside the room, why do these things always have to sound like a jet plane?
One armrest on the chair was broken.
Except for the first day when i took the room, I had to request a new laundry bag every day. The clerk said she's remind the maids the 2nd day, but either she did not or it had no effect anyway.
Good bathroom products and very soft and fluffy towels.
Free WiFi, with decent bandwidth. Good TV.
Decent breakfast, nothing fancy. The bran flakes would systematically get stuck in the distributor, the last day I gave up trying to find a long pointy thing to stir it up. Also, the breakfast area is right in front of the desk, and the clerk and maids would discuss loudly their lives, which I had no interest of, too little privacy for my taste.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Arnaud C
Robin M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

I am very sorry for your issues. I will be bring these concerns up at our next staff meeting. I will be speaking with the Room Inspector when she arrives today.

You are right, my staff should not be discussing their personal lives where the guests can hear them. This is one thing I had not even thought about. I will look into a different solution for them to gather in the morning before they start work.

You never mentioned anything to me regarding the A/C. I will have my maint. man look into when he arrives today as well.

Once again, I am very sorry for your issues.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is my first time at this hotel. The first thing that struck me was the overpowering chlorine smell from the indoor pool that hits you as soon as you walk in the front door. The room is nice, adequate size and reasonably comfortable. I sat at the small table to set up my laptop and when I sat down the chair collapsed, spilling me onto the floor (See attached photo). I tried for approximately 10 minutes to call the front desk and only got a busy signal. When I went to the front desk to report the broken chair, the clerk responded appropriately by first asking me if I was ok. That response earned her a plus from me. She then offered to immediately get me a replacement chair which I declined. The biggest problem I had is the wi-fi. It is the slowest I have ever used. It reminds me of using a dial-up modem
Overall the hotel is clean, comfortable, reasonably priced and the staff seemed very accomodating. While not outstanding it is still a decent place to stay. I will stay here next time I am in town.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank G8RRPh
Robin M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

I am so sorry for your trouble. Please let me know what room you were in so I can make sure the chair has been removed.

Regarding the Wi-Fi, I test it 2x a day and the download speed is at 11.75 and the upload is at 1.45.

I have not had any complaints since we upgrading to the higher speeds. Once again, if I knew what room you were in I can look into that room regarding the Wi-Fi.

I am very glad the clerk inquired about your safety. We try very hard to run a nice hotel.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel once a year for the past 6 years. Generally fairly clean and rooms well maintained. The parking, however, is terrible. The lot is too tiny for a hotel this size. The overflow parking is on-street in front of the hotel on Third St., and we just learned today that there is a lot one block away near a laundromat to park. A member of the group we were traveling with had his car hit in front of the hotel by a wedding party bus. He wanted to park in the lot, but it was full by 11:00 p.m. I too had to park on the street. When the member of our party complained at breakfast to the desk manager, she got pretty loud and was impolite to the gentleman who's car was involved in the accident.

We also had problems getting our room cleaned the second night. I posted the privacy card on the door at 9:00 am. so I could go to breakfast. When I returned at 9:25 am, I immediately removed the card and left for the day. When I returned at 4:00 pm, the room was never made up from the night before. A call to the front desk resulted in excuses and the clerk saying she didn't come on the shift until 1:00 pm and didn't know what was going on. Then she called back a few minutes later to tell us that the maid saw the "do not disturb" card on the room at 9:07 am. and that's why the room was never made up. We asked her to make it up after we left again at 5:00 pm, and it was done after a little more whining and excuses. My question is this: if breakfast is served until 10:00 am, why do the maids insist on coming around before that time to make up the rooms? And obviously they never checked back to see if the card has been removed so they could clean the room. In the future, if I post the privacy card and also see the maids on my floor, I will make it a point to ask to have my room made up. By the way, this also happened at a Best Western hotel that we stayed at in April 2013 in Durango, CO. Not sure what the problem is with Best Westerns and cleaning rooms after the privacy card has been removed. The maids should be trained to check back on their floor!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Janice C
Robin M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

I am sorry for your issues, Yes, I agree that what happened with your room was not right. The housekeeper that had your room has been spoken to and did receive a formal write-up for her file. She is fairly new with us, but I will not allow that to be an excuse. I also know that we had an evening laundry girl who agreed to come do your room with no problem. I am sure your room was cleaned properly at this point.

Regarding parking, we had 2 signs on the desk talking about our extra lot. I am sorry you did not see them. As I told your husband, we printed the signs on bright paper for people to see easily. We do our best to keep our guests safe and happy.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great hotel for travellers overnighting. Excellent breakfast, although the eating area could be a little bigger, a meeting room was used for overflow. Rooms were comfortable and adequately furnished. Within walking distance of restaurants, from fast food to high end Italian. Wifi was Excellent in lobby and room. We found the check-in quick and efficient, and friendly. Only problem we had was a large dog sniffing us when we arrived, and roaming the area where breakfast was to be served the next morning. I asked the receptionist if it was her dog, and she replied yes, yet there was a sign out front "no pets". That was not impressive.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Robin M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Actually, the sign out front says that we are pet friendly. I am sorry that the dog was in the lobby during breakfast. I will speak with the person on that morning to gather more information.

Yes, our lobby is small, but yes we did utilize the meeting room. I know families like to sit together to visit while they eat. We tend to open this room during our busy weekends.

Robin
GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Comfort Inn Jamestown Falconer
Hampton Inn & Suites Jamestown
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jamestown
Americas Best Value Inn Jamestown
Red Roof Inn Jamestown - Falconer
No photo provided
Budget Inn
#2 of 2 in Falconer

Been to Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown? Share your experiences!