“Best Western -Jamestown NY”

Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Jamestown
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Not the best experience. The room was clean but dated. When we walked in, the very first thing we saw was the laundry room in full operation, closing the door may have been a nice touch. The lobby and front desk area was unattractive. Staff were satisfactory but not particulary friendly. We checked in and left fro the evening, upon returning there were no parking spaces available in the small lot. I inquired and was told to park in the overflow up and above the regular parking lot. I had to back out, circle the block, and pull in. Then there was not a walkway or steps to return to the main entrance from the overflow parking area! My daughter and I had to jump over a concrete barrier to get back to the main door (the only other option was too completely encircle the hotel along the street, in what appeared to be an unsafe area-not a good choice). I do not understand the 3 star rating--not even close. I am being generous with 2 stars because it was clean.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HappyandDoc
Robin M, Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

I am sorry for your issues. We as a staff, do try our very best to keep the hotel running smooth and clean.

I am sorry you had to park in our overflow lot. The area in which we are in, is very safe. I am sorry you felt otherwise.

Robin GM

Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed here last weekend at the start of our short road-trip vacation.

The hotel has seen better days and could really do with some renovation. The rooms were comfortable and clean, but dated.

The staff were helpful and nice and kind of made up for the hotel's age and condition.

The A/C unit in the room was noisy and the (free) internet was painfully slow, almost unusable. Why give it free and have a poor speed/service? I'd rather pay and be able to use it. We were planning our trip and it took soooooo long to open even the nost basic of websites. Really annoying.

The (free) breakfast was actually pretty good, a nice choice of hot/cold food and a very hard-working staff member keeping it all together when it got busy.

My kids used the pool which is awkwardly located right next to the lobby/reception, but siad it was OK, could do with opening a little earlier (did not open until 9am I recall).

The location of the hotel is in the heart of Jamestown from what I could see, the area is a bit rundown. When we arrived there was a tailgate party going on in the parking lot (!), a bit redneck but harmless enough. There seemed like some kid of reunion or wedding party in or near the hotel which made it a bit noisy and also the walls are very thin and we could hear the people in the room next door as if they were sitting in ours.

The remote control did not work at all with the TV, which was a total pain, but there were a good selection of channels to keep the kids happy.

The plus point is that there is alot to do near to Jamestown, so this hotel is not a totally bad place to stay. I don't think we would stay here again when next in the area, definately try the Hampton Inn or Comfort Inn which are both about a 5-10 minute drive away, nearer the highway.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

I am sorry you had issues. I do hope you reported the remote to Front Desk or Housekeeping and they gave a new one. Batteries die rather fast in these new remotes.

With the pool, our Insurance on the pool is from 9am-11pm.

I do hope the rest of your stay was enjoyable.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Very nice, clean, comfy! Was able to bring my 2 small dogs, so that was conveinent! Couldnt find a parking spot late in the evening!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Robin M, Manager at Best Western Plus Downtown Jamestown, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

I am glad you liked us being "Pet Friendly". We try very hard to accomodate all of our guests.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed at the Best Western due to naming our own price ( and not a great price at that). The parking lot is WAY too small for this hotel. The front desk lobby is in the rear of the building which also is part of the parking lot. Theere were 30-40 cars in the lot, so we had no where to park, nor room to pull up and check in. We had to park around the block and walk our bags in. Fortunately the part of Jamestown the hotel is in is relatively dead and it was daylight, so safety was an issue.

Check in was fast and friendly. I did bring up parking to the front desk and they advised me to park in the street or a nearby lot. Not a great suggestion, but at this point it was what it was.

The elevators and hallways could use a good vacuuming.

The room wa very large, clean, and seemed relatively up to date. There was a box tv and internet was wired, which was kind of a throwback. The room and bed was comfortable, and the hotel was quiet.

They have a nice pool, which was clean and inviting, but we did not go in, because it was right off the lobby and you can be seen by everyone in the lobby.

Breakfast was good, typical Belgian waffles, fruit, toasty items,cereals, Danishes, eggs, sausage, etc. they were good about refilling food stations that ran low.

We did notice that a lot of the staff took smoke breaks around the same time, which makes it a bit odd for smokers, but everyone was friendly enough.

All in all, I'd stay at the hotel again, just really thought the parking situation was awful. The management of te hotel should make arrangements with a local lot to fortify their poor parking situation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BergholzTimelord

I am sorry about the parking lot. We do our best to keep our guests happy. I do hope you will return to us again for a good stay.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

Hotel staff was polite and the room was clean. Overall this was a good stay.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Greg S

I do hope you will come back here if in town on business in the futre. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Nice, comfortable, clean room. Not fancy, but good value. Only problem was the disinterested night desk clerk. Check-out MacDuffs restaurant (4th and Pine) if you want something other than fast food.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JonInPA

Sorry for any issues with desk clerk. I am glad you enjoyed your meal at McDuff's. Many times we also send people to Forte's which is also within walking distance to our hotel.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

Good accommodations in downtown Jamestown. Nothing overly fancy, but room/bathroom were very clean and location is great if you're going there to visit the I Love Lucy museum which is a short walk down the street. I thought the room rate was a little high in price for the area, but it is what it is I guess. The hotel has an indoor pool that looked nice also. The free morning breakfast was quite good as well. Front desk people were friendly and helpful. Overall, I would stay here again if visiting the area.

Room Tip: Hotel is on sort of busy street and was pretty quiet (indoor ice skating rink also across the street...