“Like staying at a friends house, but way better....”

Jedediah Hawkins Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Jamesport B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Looked around online for a one day retreat for my wife and my anniversary. Stumbled across the Jedediah Hawkins Inn website and fell in love with the place.

Called the Inn and spoke to the manager Colin. I asked if I booked a room could I have an early check in, he said no problem. So I decided to book. I explained that the room was for my wife and my anniversary and at the end of our conversation Colin said that if it was available he would upgrade us to the suite. I was blown away from just the offer to be honest, that hasn't happened to us on any occasion. After looking at the website once again I was no praying that no one booked the suite. We stayed midweek so there wasn't much going on in the area but my fingers were crossed anyway.

The next day I checked the website and the suite was vacant, I was excited like a kid waiting for Christmas day. Later on in the day I once again checked and the room was booked. I was so disappointed although I really had no reason to be.

Finally the day arrived of our get away. After dropping off the kids and making arrangements for the dog we traveled to Jamesport in search of rest and relaxation. As we made our way to the Inn and turned onto the gravel driveway, this beautiful old majestic building was standing proud on a lush well manicured property. It's quite a site.
As we entered the building we were greeted by both Colin and Jackie. The decor and old world charm immediately hit you as if you were transported in time. After speaking to Jackie she said she had a surprise for us and brought us to our room. The surprise to the delight of my wife and I was the Belvedere Suite. My jaw hit the floor, I couldn't believe that not only did they upgrade us but they didn't allow the room to be booked so we could stay in the suite. What do you say? My wife and I were so appreciative.

As Jackie brought us up the stairs we enter this remarkably designed room. It is built in the attic of the in with many well designed nooks and crannies. Rustic wood timbers and brickwork grace the interior of the room along with built in bench seating if you want to enjoy a book by the window. The widows walk which is located up the stairs, it is like a cupola with a telescope and a couple of comfy chairs. A great place to read the paper and enjoy some coffee. The bathroom had a nice tub and heated floors. There was also a flat screen TV and fireplace with plenty of seating. The bed was plush with super cozy sheets and comforters. I could go on and on but you get the picture.
After getting settled we explored a winery and had lunch in town. We also did a spa treatment at the East Wind which was very nice. After dinner we got back and there were 2 glasses and 2 bottles of wine for us to enjoy. We went to the suite and relaxed by the fire with a few glasses of wine. A perfect end to a perfect day. I couldn't wait however to get into that bed, it looked so inviting.

The next morning I woke up and strolled through the premise. The outside has hammocks and our great seating area to enjoy a morning cup. when 9:30 hit it was time for breakfast. This was served in the atrium with wonderful views of the barn and backyard. Fresh squeezed OJ, greek yogurt with fresh fruit, blueberry crumb cake and farm fresh eggs over double cut bacon with a root vegetable stuffing. Was I still in bed and dreaming? I hate to sound like a broken record but it was delicious. I went out and laid on the hammock for a bit before check out. I hated having to go.

These folks at the Jedediah Hawkins Inn get it. They know how to make you feel absolutely wonderful. Like your the most important people and they want to make every single detail perfect. We will most certainly be back again, that I can promise. Well as long as we can get a babysitter.

Room Tip: Suite is architecturally delightful. It is located in the attic and has 360 degree views.
3  Thank Thomas N
There are newer reviews for Jedediah Hawkins Inn & Restaurant

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My Fiance and I spent our Oct 4th wedding weekend in the Belvadere suite at the Jedediah Hawkins in. We got married at Macari Vineyards in Mattituck so the location was perfect! The Inn overall is spectacular and so was our suite! Felt like you were in a rustic farmhouse but with modern amenities. You could sleep 25 people comfortably if you had to. There was a sunken room with desk, couch and flat screen tv and then steps up to the master suite with amazing windows, little nooks with seating, another couch, flat screen, bed, surround sound all over the suite...Too much to list

My groomsman met me there for a few cocktails and bites before the ceremony. I had asked the chef in a previous email if he could make some finger foods to snack on....and sure enough at 2:00 on the dot there was a knock at the door and a waiter brought up an amazing platter of small sandwhiches and flat bread pizzas.

Earlier that morning my now wife and I were up early b/c she was going to her parents rental house for the day to get ready for the ceremony. Typically breakfast is served at 9:30 and we went downstairs at 8:45 knowing it was too early to eat there so we were going to go out for a quick breakfast before my wife was getting picked up at 9:15. When the woman at the front desk saw us she said the chef had just gotten in and for us to please sit b/c he will prepare us something special before 9:15 which he did. We got coffee, fresh biscuits, yogurt and berries and eggs.

Overall it was a great stay and made our wedding weekend wonderful. The Belvadere suite is a little pricey but for a special occasion I'd say it is worth it. The only thing I would change is possible adding a small fridge in the suite...and during our stay the TV in the sunken room wasn't working but really wasn't a big deal b/c the master suite tv worked just fine. Also, def check out the speak easy in the basement. Really cool place to have a cocktail!

1  Thank Michael L
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I just spent an incredible two days at Jedediah Hawkins Inn. As you approach this beautifully refurbished landmark you can see and feel its grandeur. Our room was absolutely perfect, spotless, comfortable bed, fireplace, lovely toiletries and very spacious. Breakfast was absolutey fit for a king and queen!! Yogurt, seasonal berries, granola, croissant and wonderful eggs and root vegis. Dinner was delicious and well presented. The entire staff was extremely accommadating and very helpful. The grounds are well manicured and thoroughly inviting!! During our stay we went apple and pumpkin picking, picked up plenty of fresh produce for home, visited the San Gennarro Feast and did some wine tasting. Looking forward to retuning to Jedediah Hawkins Inn!!! Thanks again and again for your hospitality!!!

2  Thank bella48682
Reviewed October 1, 2013

As a frequent traveller I have been to Manhattan many times but have only recently heard about the wine country of the 'North Fork' Long Island where Jedediah Hawkins is situated (right in the middle so perfect for exploring vineyards). On every level we were impressed. The overall ambience of the property is grand; luxuriant and at once welcoming and warm. The grounds are really pretty and we enjoyed strolling around the vegetable garden (where the kitchen gets much of it's produce from), laying in the giant hammocks by the pond and enjoying some local wines on the porch.
The service was genuine and consistent and nothing seemed too much trouble. The food was earthy, delicious and very well priced. Our room itself was very large, had a high ceiling and the finest of furnishings, frette bedding, original art by local artists and Maelin & Goetz bath products. All in all, Jedediah Hawkins made for the PERFECT add on to a frenetic stay in Manhattan... just two hours and yet worlds away. Thank you all... we will absolutely return!

2  Thank claire a
Reviewed September 21, 2013

At the end of a beautiful day of farm stands and wineries, dinner at Jedediah Hawkins proved to be an absolute delight. After finding out we were celebrating our anniversary, the waitress brought over two glasses of champagne...and that was the start of an amazing meal. The soup was better than homemade, and our entrees exceeded our expectations. I hope the chef knows how talented s/he is. I would drive the hour to go out to the North fork just for that meal!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Had a wonderful 2nd stay at Jedidiah Hawkins. Lovely, tastefully renovated historic home. Food was excellent - had dinner and breakfast. New chef is doing excellent job. Staff was superb.

Will definitely go again!

1  Thank hwm59
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I drove out to Jamesport with some friends to spend the weekend at our cottage and decided to dine at the Hawkins Inn, having not been there in several years. From the moment we arrived our expectations were exceeded. We were greeted by a lovely lady at the front door and were told our table would be ready in a few minutes as we had not made a reservation. At the bar we first met the manager Colin, one of several very pleasant experiences we would share with him that evening. While we waited Colin made us our drinks while the bartender attended to the surprisingly busy bar given its size. Upon being seated, much quicker than we anticipated, we were introduced to our server, whose mother turned out to be the one who sat us. The waitress was lovely and attentive and had Colin come over to discuss the wine list with our table. For dinner we started with a delicate flatbread for the table which featured prosciutto, ricotta and arugula. For starters our guests had the Burrata and a seared foie gras while my wife had an heirloom tomato salad and I had a delightful tuna tartar served over crispy watermelon. For dinner, both the ladies had the pistachio crusted Halibut while my friend had the pork tenderloin and I had the Cavatelli pasta. We all were overwhelmed by how much we enjoyed everything. The Hawkins inn in an amazing place to visit, our meal was superb and the building is exquisite. We would recommend this restaurant anyone and everyone. Service is friendly and unpretentious and the manager seems to go out of his way to make every customer feel welcome. Our only regret was being unable to see the inn rooms as they were all occupied, I can only imagine what they look like given how the rest of the inn looks. 5 stars!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lawyer2002
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamesport
Harborfront Inn at Greenport
The Blue Inn At North Fork
#1 of 1 in East Marion
Cliffside Resort Condominiums
Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead

Been to Jedediah Hawkins Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!