“A wonderful hotel to visit New York City”

Hilton New York JFK
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Hotel is so much cheaper than any Manhattan hotel, very clean and staff were efficient.
MTA Bus ($2.50 one-way) stops infront of the hotel and takes you to the Sutphin-Archer Station (15 mins away). The subway station has multiple Trains(Express, F, etc) to take you almost anywhere in the city. If you are staying for a week, I recommend buying the MTA unlimited weekly pass (good for bus and subway-$30). The hotel charges an $18 daily parking fee but you can park in the street for free.

1  Thank DodieStraightUp

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Having just refused to stay at a nearby hotel, we checked into the Hilton Hotel for an overnight stay before catching a plane the next morning to Honolulu. We were so pleased to have chosen this hotel after the disaster of the prior experience.

Check-in was a breeze and we were given our breakfast vouchers and directed to our allocated room. A quick look around confirmed our decision to choose this hotel even for one night. It was neat, clean and tidy as you might expect with a Hilton and the tariff including breakfast for two was not a great deal more than the previous hotel's price.

I can say that the beds were probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in and the view from our room looked back to New York city although, if preferred, rooms on the opposite side had a view of the airport with planes landing and taking off if that is your thing.

We had dinner in the restaurant that night, where a delicious buffet breakfast was served the next morning.

As with many hotels, we had the bill delivered the next morning before we woke enabling us to leave and catch the free shuttle to the airport with the minimum of fuss. A great hotel if you need to stay close to the JFK airport.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kentstreet
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton JFK which is connected to the Hilton JFK the night before we departed for London. It was a great experience. We stayed at the Hilton JFK on the day we arrived back in the US. The Hilton was more expensive (although we got the same price that we paid for the Hampton through Hotwire) and yes the rooms were alot more elegant but the service was poor especially for the price you are paying.

After getting through customs, I called the Hilton for pickup and was told to call them when I arrived at Federal Circle (the area for hotel and car rental vans). It was all of 5 minutes to get to the location so when I called again, they said a van had already been sent. I waited 40 minutes, watching other hotel vans come by 2 and 3 times. Every time I called the Hilton, they gave an excuse and said 10 minutes. Finally the 2 vans showed up at the same time....how stupid. I felt that was unacceptable since the hotel is all of 10 minutes away and most of their guests are arriving from long international flights. It was 1 am in the time zone I was functioning on so standing on a curb that long was irritating.

Fortunately the front desk lady was great....she could see I was exhausted and quickly checked me in and was very friendly. I did notice the next morning when I was checking out that the foreign guests next to me were very upset at the front desk saying in their broken english that they needed to have more patience with them as they were trying to understand their bill and the front desk was talking too fast. I would think that would be a requirement for any front desk personnel who deals with primarily foreigners coming from JFK. Again for the price we are all paying, we should each be given the courtesy of your time.

We spent the day in Manhattan, staying there for the night with plans to fly out of LGA at 10 am the next morning. It was that night that I realized I had left stuff in the closet of the Hilton (told you I was exhausted :)) When I called about it, I was transferred to lost and found where I could leave a message and was instructed to give them 24 hours to contact me. So I called the front desk back and explained that I couldn't wait 24 hours as I had a flight the next morning at a different airport, not JFK. The earliest someone would call me back would be at 9 am when they arrived to work. So I had to change my flight. Again, hard to believe that no one is available to check the lost and found. When I received my stuff back, they had put it in a bag labeled with the room number and date. I would think the front desk could have easily looked up my name, saw which room and night I stayed and been able to locate that bag. But this is a huge hotel and maybe that many people lose stuff.

Anyway, given the fact that both hotels are next to each other and share the same restaurant, both offer good size rooms with 2 queen beds....the Hampton is cheaper and has better service than the Hilton....I'd choose the Hampton. IF the Hampton wasn't available, I'd probably return to the Hilton if I couldn't find anything else.

1  Thank wizofwoz
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This Hilton has been revamped from the ground up and now provides an extremely comfortable stay. The staff was very friendly and corteous with genuine concern for my well being. I was very surprised to see the new open lobby and vibrant bar scene. It was great to sit and unwind or catch up on some work in the room. The location by the airport is not the greatest, but they will shuttle you to the train that can take you to manhattan very easily.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Jose R
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The room and furnishings were fairly comfortable but the a/c was extremely loud and I was told the entire hotel had the same noise issue in every room. VERY DISAPPOINTED, considering the price I paid for the room.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Khalid A
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Indians beware, you are not welcome at this hotel! We were booked for 5 nights and the room was paid for before. Inspite of this, after travelling for 24 hours we had to wait for 40 minutes for the lady to 'check if our names were indeed there'. This was even after the tour operator had confirmed that she had spoken to the hotel.
My son and I just kept standing with our bags, we were not offered a place to sit, a drink or even a smile! Other guests waiting to check in were invited by the two peersons at the check in counter to come forward, and greeted warmly. We on the other hand, were ignored outright. Again I must add the room was already paid for. My advice to this particulare Hilton - Please indicate upfront that you do not want certain races or nationalities at your premises, will save both sides a lot of trouble.
The only person who was warm and welcoming was the girl at the gift shop counter!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kinimom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Many people are claiming the Hampton Inn next door is the better value, but the fact that so many people are using that hotel means that it can be overbooked. I booked a room there and when I arrived all they had were smoking rooms, which after a day on a plane is the last thing you want for your dry respiratory system. So I switched to the Hilton next door, and while yeah it is expensive, it was better than the Hampton for my purposes. I got an upgraded room that was quite clean, with new-looking carpet and updated furniture. I was also given a free internet code. The clerk at the desk was extremely courteous. I noticed the loud air system but it sounded only like white noise in my room and didn't bother my sleep. While I avoid layovers at JFK generally speaking, if I have to do it again I'll pick the Hilton JFK.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business