“Rude Service”

Hilton New York JFK
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We arrived very close to midnight and were told that our Hotels.com reservation was not recorded in the Hilton database. The front desk did call Hotels.com and the reservation was acknowledged, but that Hotels.com cannot send the reservation because their system was down. The hotel front desk refused to give us the room until Hotels.com system was back up. After much negotiation, the front desk was willing to take my credit card and charge me for the room which I had already paid for at Hotels.com. After a long discussion, they stated that they would reverse the charges on my credit card once they received the reservation from Hotels.com. Unfortunately, we did not get to our room until 2:00 AM. They made us wait in the lobby all this time because of a system glitch which was confirmed and acknowledged. We were exhausted, angry, and totally at the mercy of incompetent staff that did not know what to do in such a situation. Given that they had verbal acknowledgement, it is only courteous that they do the right thing and give us a key. Also, there was no manager that I was able to talk to during that time. I also noticed other irate guests at the front desk so I believe this to be an endemic problem with this hotel. I will never stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Europeben
GeraldLoughran, Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear EuropeBen,

On the night in question for your reservation, the entire JFK hotel market was Sold out and we were already oversold by 14 rooms when hotels.com tried to force the reservation through. When they couldn't book it in their system (because we were already sold out) they sent a fax to try to get someone to put it through. I am truly sorry that you were on the receiving end of their mix-up, but please understand that we did nothing wrong in this very difficult situation.

There are newer reviews for Hilton New York JFK

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Hotel was very nice. Room was quiet and clean. Breakfast was excellent. Customer service was excellent. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Hotel is near airport. Highly recommend this hotel if you need a place to stay near the airport!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Tammy M;

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us. I noticed you have completed the Tripadvisor survey, thank you these surveys are very helpful to us.

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your kind survey. It truly means a lot to us and our team to know we got it right. I will pass along your kind words regarding our breakfast to the entire team.

In today’s market we do realize you have many choices we do hope in the future we have the opportunity to serve you and your family once again. Thank you for choosing us.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stay here quite a few times per month for work. The bed is comfy but the a/c unit cycling on/off is very loud. I always sleep with earplugs, but if you don't it would definitely bother you. The bathrooms are nice and the towels are a good quality. Just wish Hilton would update their shower heads as they all seem to be the same sucky ones no matter which Hilton you go to.

The gym here is really nice and I can get a good workout in, even a floor ab workout. The breakfast buffet is extremely delicious (I always get it for free so don't know the price but would say it's worth paying up to $15 or so).

Overall, if I had to pay to stay at an airport hotel, this one is one I'd pick.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Shera T

Dear AirFairy:

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your kind survey regarding the gym, breakfast and our beds. It truly means a lot to us and our team to know we got it right and also the areas that we need to improve and grow in. Your comments regarding the shower head and A/C unit are correct and we are working hard at fixing these issues. Unfortunately, these are not quick fixes.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had to spend the night after the first leg of our vacation. This hotel fit nicely since we had an early flight the next morning. Very nice accommodations, good service--a pleasant place to stay and convenient!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Peter G:

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your kind survey. It truly means a lot to us and our team to know we got it right and also the areas that we need to improve and grow in. Your comments regarding the A/C unit, breakfast eggs and the toliet seat are areas we will be looking it. Thank you for making us aware of them and we are committed to fixing these issues.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hotel is located near JFK airport between two other hotels, one upscale and one downscale from it. It seems to be new, and furnishings and public areas were generally clean and inviting. The room was comfortable and not cramped. The beds were clean and comfortable. The air conditioner/heating unit was extremely noisy and had only one setting: off or on. The toilet seat was hanging by a single screw. Since we were only there one night, we did not bother to report this. The complimentary breakfast was decent, but the "eggs" were weird--dry little lumps imitating a scrambled effect. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were told that parking was very limited (which is true) but we did not have trouble finding a parking space. Considering location and quality, this hotel provides good value for the money, but there are a few areas that could be improved.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Peter G,

Thank you for your nice 4 star review and the feedback as well. We truly take your feedback as teachable moments and will work to fix the areas of concern.

Come back and visit us again soon,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel has very nice people working there. When your on business and you return to the hotel after a tough day it's great to deal with pleasant and capable people from Stella and Gloria in the Hilton Honors Lounge to Dana the exceptional bartender who has the greatest propensity to remember customer names and make you feel welcome and at ease. This is why i still book at this hotel when in NYC regardless of what borough my business has me in.
The place is clean. the food is great and the people are nice. What more can you ask for when your on the road.

Room Tip: Just book and show up. The staff will take care of everything.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Howard S,

Wow! Thank you so much for such a nice review of our hotel. It is clear that you understand the hard work and dedication of our team members and in turn, when you care, it shows (It's one of those hotel school slogans...) and thank you again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I travel frequently to Queens and Brooklyn for Govt. work and always make it a point to stay at the JFK Hilton. There may be no great restaurants or attractions within quick walking distance but the hotel itself has terrific food and is a great place to unwind and Dana, the bartender, is the BEST in the business (all the hype about her is true), as is Stella, the Executive Lounge hostess. Myself, and my team, will always return to the JFK Hilton.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ben E,

Thank you so much for your loyalty to our hotel and for your kind words about our team members, especially Dana and Stella! We look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

Best,