“Airport hotel with no service”

Hilton New York JFK
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Close to Jfk, this hotel provide convenient stay if you need toake an early flight at jfk or are intransit for the night. But don t expect lot of service, even to book a taxi ahead of time is not offered, they will call one just before you eed it, and of course you will have to wait that they found one and it comes!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
GeraldLoughran, Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Dear Glpprinz,

I am sorry for the lack of service that you received during your recent stay. While car service companies are near by and available 24 hours a day, we can and do make reservations for such services daily. I would like the opportunity to speak further with you so that we can address this with the team member that you encountered. In addition, I will share these comments with the guest services team to avoid this from happening again.

Gerald Loughran

Write a ReviewReviews (1,846)

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Three round trips to front desk to gain access to a smallish room. HVAC excessively noisy. Exec lounge dingy and meager nibbles. Retreated to lobby bar where there waa very Slow start to service. Overall well below average for brand.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Scarisbrick,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the tripadvisor community. While your experience is not the norm at our hotel, and our Exec lounge and Bar are usually recognized as wonderful, it is clear that your experience was not pleasant. Please contact me at gerald.loughran@hilton.com so that I may address your concerns and also get more specifics so that we can learn from this and get better at what we do everyday.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

stayed here for 4 days of conference. location close to JFK airport. Now the pros and cons

PROS:
Location to airport
Friendly staff
Pretty good restaurant
Reasonable price for NYC

CONS:
Cleaniness of the rooms; appears old; poor carpeting
LOUD; paperthin wall, can hear everything outside in the corridor

Overall probably won't stay here again for extended trip, only for 1 days layover for JFK travel.

Room Tip: good only for quick layover
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear TheArtistLosAngeles,

Please contact me at gerald.loughran@hilton.com so we can discuss your stay. We have a completely refurbished hotel with brand new rooms including carpets, and concrete walls and floors, therefore I would like to verify your reservation details as this does not sound like our hotel.

Gerald Loughran - Assistant General Manager

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at the Hampton Inn on business which is ajoined by an inside hallway. I had dinner here 3 nights in a row. The 2nd night (Thurs 1/9/13) was very busy. The restaurant manager, Duane was cool as a cucumber. He explained how long of a wait it would be. I requested to sit at the bar. At the bar I was greeted by Dana, the most upbeat and welcoming bartender. Her recomendations for food are right on point. I was not disappointed. She did inform me due to the full restuarant the kitchen was a bit behind. I SO appreciated that. We wait in line at the grocery store, the dr office, essentially everywhere we go. It was nice to be alerted of a possible delay. Therefore I (nor any other guest at the bar) was upset. We knew they were busy. Had I not been informed I would have been furious. This also gave us the customer the ability to choose if we were going to stay or go. We chose to stay. I will wait and be treated by a queen by your staff while I wait.

The next night, manger Duane remembered my name and was sure to ask how I was doing. Dana did the same. I felt like I was at home with old friends. THIS is what excellent customer service feels like! Attitude is a choice. Your team's positive attitude and fun personalities are the reason why I always choose Hilton brands when I travel! I work with the public. I am a trainer. I have high expectations. They exceeded my expectations. WOW!

Room Tip: I did not sleep here. I was at the hotel next door. My review is based on the restaurant. However ev...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear NYMommaL,

I am so glad that you decided to stay and wait and that Dana and Duane made such a great impression on you. They are truly amazing service professionals and your kind words will be shared with the team! Next time your travels bring you to the area, whether you stay with us or the Hampton (which we are connected internally to) we look forward to seeing you again!! Come back soon!

Best,

Reviewed January 8, 2013

What I saw online when I booked this hotel was not what I had expected. This hotel is a must. The hospitality from the staff was so overwhelming that I did not want to leave. Tara at the coffee shop greeted me with the biggest smile and made the most wonderful comment that made me feel right at home. (Thank you Tara). Pedro our waiter could not do enough for Tammy and I. (We were blessed with his kindness, politeness and wonderful smile. Actually this applies to all the waiters and waitresses at this hotel.) Shafeek the concierge, Peter the security guard and Sharon at the coffee shop in the mornings with that beautiful smile of hers are only but a few names that I can remember. (Don't forget I just turned 60 and am now really starting to have senior, senior moments.) I'm am sorry for the people whose names that I have not mentioned, I have not forgotten you because you are all just so wonderful.
So, to all travelers, "Hilton New York JFK" is a must because you will be looked after as if you were home away from home. THANK YOU HILTON NEW YORK JFK!!!!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the motorway and JFK Airport and got a lot of warm sunshine even though it was w...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Charlene R,

We are thrilled that your 60th Birthday was one "To Cherish for Life" and that all of our team members created that Home Away from Home for you and Tammy! Tara, Pedro, Shafeek, Peter and Sharon are all awesome and we can't wait to welcome you back next time! Maybe for your 61st??

Thank you for your kind words!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Great hotel for location to JFK, no hesitation in recommending. Excellent, professional staff. Complimentary shuttle to JFK. Very comfortable beds. Good restaurant. Great coffee shop. Only downfall is having to pay for wifi in the rooms - complimentary in the foyer area but not in rooms ! Majority of people who travel require wifi access and it is now an important aspect in choosing a hotel. To be honest, I did think twice on staying here when I noticed the daily charge for wifi, its not a huge charge but it's the principle of the issue. I have stayed at the Hampton Inn JFK (next door to the Hilton) who do not charge for wifi in the rooms but wanted to experience the Hilton on this occassion.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MStry55

Dear MStry55,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you gave us a try this time. While we do charge for wifi, it is complimentary for Hilton HHonors Gold and Diamond members so the more you stay, the quicker you obtain those benefits. Contact me next time you are returning to the area, and I will gladly comp the $7.95 charge for your repeat business.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here one night on our way to London, thinking that being close to the airport would help us in making our early morning flight after a late night in Manhattan seeing a show and some local friends. First off, this is nowhere as convenient to the airport as claimed, it requires a ten-minute train ride and a ten-minute shuttle to get there. The rooms are nice though small, and staff is very nice and competent - with one major and awful exception: DO NOT LET THEM ARRANGE ANY TRANSPORTATION FOR YOU, THEY ARE RUNNING A SCAM. We asked for a TAXI to pick us up to take us into Manhattan for our show - we did not get an actual taxi, but some unlicensed car that basically refused to take us in because of traffic, then charged us the full fare ($60+) to drop us off at a subway station. The next morning, we headed downstairs to take the shuttle back to the airport, to discover that it didn't actually run on the schedule we had been told - forcing us to take another non-taxi, this time a limo that was conveniently waiting in the parking lot for people like us. Bottom line: If you have a layover and don't plan to go anywhere it's probably okay (though overpriced), but if you plan to go into Manhattan at all you're better off staying in Manhattan, for not much more cost. We certainly won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank victim99

Dear Victim99,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the tripadvisor community. While we do have a preferred car service company, we have a great relationship with the owner of that company so please contact me at gerald.loughran@hilton.com so I can obtain more information from you regarding dates and time so that I can obtain a refund for the car service which obviously failed. You should never have had to experience that and that is completely unacceptable.

Thank you for the opportunity to make it right.