“Problem after problem the first day.”

Hilton New York JFK
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The hotel seemed very nice when we arrived, we checked the room and seemed nice and clean and left our luggage to go visit NY city, but then we came back the problems started.
The shower was clogged making it unusable, maintenance came to fix it after about 1 hr of calling the front desk. They could not fix it and were told by the front desk that no other rooms were available (by now it was about 1 am). The maintenance person told the front desk that they had to do something for us because the shower was absolutely not working then they gave us another room in a different floor.
We had requested a portable crib (which was requested at time of the reservation) was not delivered to our room until our 4th call to the front desk.
Breakfast selection needs to be improved.
After these problems we tried to change to a different hotels but there was no vacancy anywhere close by.
Now on the positive side the beds were very comfortable, and after a very rocky beginning we had no problems the subsequent 2 days.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank fl5fl
GeraldLoughran, Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Fl5FL:

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor, needless to say I'm very disappointed we did not meet your expectation. I would like to take this opportunity and personally apologize for your experience regarding the shower and the crib. This is truly embarrassing and should never have happened.

I have passed your comments along to our executive management team so they can pass them along to our team members.

Once again I truly sorry for all the inconveniences.

Food & Beverage Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,861)

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Keep in mind this hotel has only been Hilton for past six months. Several years ago it was Holiday Inn, then became International? This hotel has been so bad in the past; my company has roomed at nearby Marriott and used the conference rooms at this property. Now a Hilton, let’s put it this way, they have their work cut out for them. I have several issues with the hotel I am not going to address on here, but rather in person with management. But if it is only overnight, the hotel is clean and if you can handle the jet airplane sounding AC units in your room, you will be ok.

The service at this property was really questionable and like I wrote above, they have alot of room for improvement and will address many of my issues directly with hotel.

One huge positive which took my review from two stars to three stars was Dana in the bar. WOW! She knows and understands customer service. She was incredibly friendly, advised us not to sit in a certain seat at the bar due to the leaking AC. Several of the AC units in the bar area were leaking and we were not advised of this at our first seat and one of my co-workers got the head drip and stained shirt. Meanwhile our server just disappeared, never saw her again the next two hours we were there. They have a lot of servers, but they stand around watching TV and dont help each other out. I like the TV's and different options, but appeared to be a distraction for the servers. I called them zombies! So we moved to the bar, what a change. It was like we entered a different establishment! Dana who was working the bar, saw we were frustrated and was beyond accommodating. We ordered full dinner, the fish taco was pretty good. When we saw Dana the next day she remembered us and had a very nice conversation. Hilton, take my advice, put Dana in charge, something tells me she will clean up your bar/restaurant, she clearly showed me she actually cared more than any of your other employees (including management). She gets it.

Room Tip: Stay away from any room ending with 33 (service elevator is on otherside of your wall.)
Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank marcfla

Marcfla:

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor, as the Food & Beverage Director needless to say I'm very disappointed in our team. And Yes Dana is a SUPERSTAR. She is one of our most valuable team members.

It is very disappointing to know that your server disappeared I will be investigating this so we may use these comments as teachable moments. Your comments are very important to us this is the only way we can grow and learn as a new business.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We had a 8 hour layover in NYC and rather than sit around the airport with a toddler in tow we opted to stay at a hotel. At least we could chill and have a shower before a long haul flight to Asia. Good service from check in to check out. Staff are v friendly and helpful. Room was a decent size and shower/bathroom was adequate. From earlier reviews, we decided not tp opt for the hotel shuttle and preferred to order a taxi - it worked better for us with the number of bags and a toddler. A side comment - my faith in NYC and NYC cabbies was surpassed when we left one of our hand carry bags in the cab we took from the airport and the cabbie actually came back to the hotel and returned the bag. I thought he was a bit gruff when we got into the cab and unfriendly so it shows never judge a book by its cover! His honesty was much appreciated!

Only comment I would make is that there was only one luggage trolley and the bell service/concierge was on the slow side when busy so we ended up bringing our bags down from the room by ourselves. This aspect is obviously not of usual hilton standard.

Otherwise, a good option for an airport hotel!

Aml2012:

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor, it is always nice to hear when we get it right. I'm sorry that your felt you had to use a cab to come to our hotel. We have added an addition shuttle driver to help with the volume of business we are experience. This has helped with the long wait our guests were experiencing.

And, YEAH for New York Cabbies returning your bag that was a pleasure to read.

I will be passing your comments along to each department manager so we may pass them on to our team members.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Booked a one night stay after a long flight across the pond.

Shuttle collected us from the airport without any delays, the Hotel is clean and staff are very helpful, room overlooked the runway, but the double galzing worked as we heard nothing.

The beds were superb and slept like a baby all night.

Breakfast was a bit pricey, $17.

All in all a good place for a quick stopover after a long flight.

2  Thank Peter W
GeraldLoughran, Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear Peter W:

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on Tripadvisor. It is always pleasant to hear that we got it right, so thanks. I will pass your comments along to our entire team.

We do hope we have the opportunity to service you again.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Our 10pm flight to HK was cancelled and we stayed in this hotel to wait for our flight the following day. Since this was arranged by Cathay pacific airlines, we were shuttled to the hotel after almost an hour of waiting for the bus. The trip didnt take long as it is very near the airport, and thank God, the front desk people were really efficient coz our check in was very quick. The room given to us was big with two double beds and very very good pillows, we love it! The bathroom and toilet were clean, though we have to ask for more toilet amenities since there was only one set and there were three of us. The housekeeping staff were so quick to solve this problem, though. No complimentary bottled water but they have complimentary coffee and tea. We had dinner in their restaurant and the food was also very good. This hotel has a boutique inside selling souvenirs and other daily necessities. They also have a swiimming pool and a gym. I find the hotel staff in this hotel quite friendly and overall we had a relaxing and comfortable stay in this hotel.

1  Thank Tetreg

Dear Tetreg:

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on Tripadvisor. It is always pleasant to hear that we got it right, so thanks. We are sorry that your plane was delayed however, I'm glad we made it a little better for you and your family.

I will be passing your comments on to our entire team and thank them for doing a wonderful job in fullfilling your needs.

We do hope we have the opportunity to service you again.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

First off, this hotel is very nice and much better than expected. I have to say it exceeded my expectations. After having my flight cancelled and fighting my way to find a room, my day was not going well after a long two days of exhaustive meetings. Late at night, tired, very hungry and I had enough. The Hilton hotel staff immediately greeted me with an honest smile, willing to help and everything was super clean, and bright with really comfortable bed and pillows. Even the shuttle driver the next morning was super nice. But the best part of my visit by far was the dinner I had at the bar. The food was outstanding, but it was Dana, the bartender/host who was absolutely INCREDIBLE. Super outgoing, respectful, fun and knew how to treat a wieried business traveler. I watched how she interacted with others, and she knew exactly who wanted to talk, who didn't, super fast and so respectful to everyone. This woman knows her game. She made my day and will be the reason I come back to this hotel again. If HiIton was smart they would realize what a tremendous asset they have in Dana and promote this girl immediately before somebody else steals her away. Hilton has a real gem with her and a big reason that really sets them apart in my mind of anyplace I've ever been. And why I'll stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank John G
GeraldLoughran, Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

To John G:

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on Tripadvisor. Thank you for your wonderful comments it is always a pleasure to hear when we get it right. As the Food & Beverage Director I was happy to hear our team exceeded your expectations. I couldn’t agree with you more regarding Dana it truly comes from her heart and we are very lucky to have her on our team.

I will share your comments with our team and with Dana. Once again thank you for staying with us and I do hope we have the opportunity to service you and your family again.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

DON'T STAY HERE If you are coming in from JFK! Booked here to break up a long overseas trip. Was a great idea until the shuttle took over an hour to get to the designated hotel shuttle pick-up zone at JFK (there's only one). Called hotel 4 times and was assured each time that the shuttle was just 5-10 minutes away. Finally had to hire a car service to travel the 1 mile to the hotel. Could have stayed in Manhattan with less travel hassles and still wondering where the shuttle was for that hour! Saw the Sheraton van and Hilton garden inn vans 5 times while waiting. Probably best to book your stay with one of those hotels instead.

Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Laurie B
GeraldLoughran, Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

To Laurie B:

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on Tripadvisor. I’m sorry we did not meet your expectations and yes I do agree we should have sent the driver out immediately. We are using your experience as a teachable moment and training for our team.

Once again thank you and I do apologize for any inconvenience.