“customer service and management”

Lexington Inn at JFK Airport
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed April 17, 2014

i went in to this hotel to booked three nights only to find out that there was no single room avaiable only the room with a jacuzzi which cost more however there will be a room available the next day if i want to take the upgrade room for one night then i can move to the single room with out the jacuzzi the next day , of course ill have to be charge the respective rates, after negotiating without success i took the options, the next morning i moved rooms , sign up the paper and do all the necassary arrangments, not only to find out on night three that i no longer have a room for my last night, while going up in the elevator the male receiptionest called me to advised that i no longer have a room there , i only book for two nights and my stuff was taken out of the room by the hotel staff and was placed at the receptionist area awaiting to be picked up
Advised that i book three room and explained the above infomation but that male receptionist whose name was Kumar was rude and defensive he made me paid the rate for the upgraded room with the jacuzzi, he was not even Apologetic and no customer service skill was applied in such situation, what make this customer service experience so frustrating was this was the same receptionist give me the options to take the upgraded room and then moved to the single room for the other two nights, in the process of removing my personal belongings i lost , purfume, cream, sleeping clothes , no tooth brush, no tooth paste ....what a bad experience , i will never go back there or recommend this hotel to top it off the last night there was blood stain in the sheet ...what an upgrade!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sabrina P

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I booked 2 rooms for 3 adults and 2 children through Hotwire. I thought it was a good deal. Big mistake.

When I arrived, I inquired to make sure I had double beds as specified. The receptionist said Hotwire only books rooms with single beds, no matter how many people you specify. How are 3 people supposed to sleep on one bed? She promptly added a $50 surcharge per room to have rooms with 2 beds. As soon as I exited the elevator, a strong smell of marijuana hit us, and we had to endure it for the rest of our stay, even though the floor was clearly marked as non-smoking. The keycard didn't work and the door was busted and made a loud scratching sound every time we opened and closed it.

The rooms were ok, but the toilet didn't work in one of them. When we asked for it to be fixed, the receptionist sent someone up who dropped off a plunger and said we had to fix it ourselves. Imagine that, taking a vacation to fix a hotel toilet broken by someone else. Then when we went out, the receptionist told us we had to park in the hospital a 5 minute walk across the street, and pay $15 for the parking there, because the hotels parking is horrible and only fits about 12 cars. So in total the price ended up being 80+50+15=$145 for 1 double room per night, the exact same (if not more) as if we would have booked any other better hotel.

In the morning, when we arrived for breakfast at 9am, everything was gone except cereal and juice, so we had breakfast at the Dunkin Donuts.

Please do yourself a favor dear reader, and book another hotel. All the negative reviews about this hotel are incredibly accurate, as you will find out if you stay here.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
11  Thank Rafae L
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I was stranded at JFK and booked this hotel. The price was very reasonable for the location. As other reviewers say, the room cleaning was less than perfect - several long hair on the blanket, the floor not well vacuumed, the bathtub not perfectly cleaned so I did not soak. The hotel was short-staffed and the front desk at night was rude - requests for help were not granted because they were short-staffed and one clerk shouted at me.

But I think this hotel has a potential. The bed, air conditioning system, TV, were new and some of the best in the hotels I saw in NYC. The price was half or 1/3 of other airport hotels that day. It is not in the best neighborhood, but if you need a place to sleep it was just fine. The restaurants are limited but the Chinese fast-food joint a few doors down had surprisingly authentic food (and it was so reasonable). There may be cultural factors here and owners may not know what customers want and also may be cutting cost where it should not be. If the hotel had more staff, better cleaners, and trained staff how to be courteous and helpful, I would pay more. They need to realize guests in airport hotels are tired, and nothing productive happens by being rude to them or rejects requests from them. Also many are not from NYC, who are not used to rude, big-city interactions. They need help and welcoming words. And they need to be treated with honesty if the hotel want repeating customers - it is not just this hotel, but when I asked the front desk to call for a cab, a taxi with no meter showed up and charged me an unreasonable price.

Overall, I thought this was a hotel with a good potential but it needs some work.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank cranapple5
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Booked this hotel from London for 14 nights as it was close to the Airport and easy access to the City. We checked in late as our London to JFK flight was delayed for about 3 hours. Girl at reception was quiet approachable. We were exhausted from the trip after the 3hrs delay then flying for over 7 hrs. Immediately on entering the room we noticed the dirty curtains, we were tired so we went to bed and thought we would get them to change it in the morning. However, in the morning I started to unpack and was SURPRISE!! as room was dirty and disgusting! previous guest clothing was found in the draw, curtains stained, floors not cleaned, I dropped an ring behind the bedside table and once I moved the table to retrieve it that was when all was revealed! See photo. When photos was shown to manager he was VERY rude and dismissive. They took pay in advance which they claim they are not willing to re-pay as we had to check-out after one night (12 hrs).

Room Tip: Not worth a dime!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Shazie2014
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This hotel is an economical option for those transiting JFK or those who intend to do some sight seeing and shopping in the big apple. The breakfast is good. Front desk is not pro active but they rise to the occasion. The proximity of the hotel to the subway ( 2minutes walk) is an added plus. The Hotel is also 15 minutes walking from the Air Train Jamaica station which makes travelling to the JFK very easy and economical. Merrick Blvd. shopping area is nearby - good for tourists who wish to buy souvenir's etc.

Room Tip: If you are not too fussy about the free airport shuttle to the JFK, then this is the place to stay...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank duggal47
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I had a two night stay at this hotel over the Thanksgiving weekend. I didn't have any of the bad experiences expressed by other reviewers. The price was right, we booked directly from the hotel's website and got a great deal for such a busy weekend. The staff was very friendly. The first night we had to park on the street (right next to the hotel) and the night staff helped us find a good spot and even warned us about street cleaning so we wouldn't get a ticket. The next night we parked at the hotel parking, which is very limited (if you want a spot, you have to get there early). The surrounding area is not the best, but I didn't feel threatened. Parking had light, the hotel lobby was staffed at night. The subway is withing walking distance (E line), which was a big plus. The room was clean. The continental breakfast was the usual cereal, eggs, bagels and donuts. It was great not to have to worry about where to have breakfast. Check out was smooth.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maria B
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

The staff was unfriendly and I might even say unpleasant. When we asked for a taxi to the airport, they called us some guy, who was definitely not a taxi-driver and he charged us 10$ more than a real taxi would have cost. The breakfast area was funny in a bad way, we could see the administrator and his creepy friend who was almost always there chatting with him and looking at us.
Despite of the fact, that the hotel is a bit worn out, the rooms were clean and comfortable. With the subway "around the corner" it was a good place to discover Manhattan and the airport was also easy to reach.

• Stayed: January 2013