“NEVER AGAIN” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
College Park, Georgia
“NEVER AGAIN”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

First let me start by saying the staff was not very helpful. I had an issue with my television and instead of someone coming to check it out all they said was it could be something with the service provider. They didn't call to find out if it was just my tv or a service issue, they just left me hanging. Needless to say I missed my shows on USA and TNT on Tuesday night. The room could definitely use an update. It looks like someone tried to take my tv off the wall and the lamp shades were falling apart. Parking here sucks. There are about ten spots, so if you don't get there early you'll be trying to figure out where to park. Get there early so you can get free parking. There are a lot of places nearby to walk to if you want to grab something to eat and a few places that deliver.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Turkish first
New Fairfield, Ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Have used various parking at LGA and find Clarion to be the best...friendly and efficient from the drivers to the staff....not too usual for New York....a credit to management for creating this type of service....and, no, you do not need to stay at the hotel to use the parking...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank magnet1125
Fort Worth, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

I was subjected to a flight cancellation at JFK due to thunderstorms that came through the area and could not be rebooked until the next day. Choices for a hotel room were almost non-existent and it started to look as if I might have to sleep in the terminal, when my travel agent said they booked the last room available at the Clarion in Jamaica, Queens. I was relieved to have anyplace to lie my head after a nine hour flight from Europe, but when my taxi pulled up in front of the Clarion, I didn't even recognize it as a hotel.

My room truly was the last one in the house, but it resembled more of a sleazy love nest than any place I really wanted to stay. It had a king-sized bed with a four person jacuzzi tub right next to it, and the rest of the room was a dump. The bathroom was quite small and unimpressive, but looked at least moderately clearn. The worst part, though, was that my shoes were actually sticking to the carpet as I walked to the desk area. To be fair, the wireless internet was free and adequate, so at least I was able to get a little work done before bed.

The surrounding neighborhood looked daunting, so I didn't take any chances on going out in search of a dinner venue. The hotel did have a directory of area restaurants that would deliver to the hotel, so I settled on an expensive and overly large pizza. I asked the front desk to call me a taxi the next morning for the return trip to JFK, but they instead offered a car service for a "$25 flat rate", almost twice what I paid for the yellow taxi to the hotel the day before. To make it worse, the drive of the car service ripped me off for $30, but I can't blame that on the hotel.

Difficult travel conditions make for difficult choices, but at least I didn't have to sleep in a chair at JFK. Except for another an emergency, I won't be staying at the Clarion in Jamaica again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank CT_Yank_in_TX

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was my 2nd stay at hotel...
About a 2 minute walk to subway (E train)
Room was clean and a great value. There are 2 small delis across the street, mcDonalds, Subway & Wendy's to keep NYC dining cost to a minimum.
It is approx 30-40 minute subway ride to Penn Station
I will be returning to this hotel for value, cleanliness & ease of location

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank HLopata
Hermosa Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Pros: wifi, clean, continental breakfast, some parking, fridge, flat screen TV, late check-in

Cons: outdated ugly rooms, smoke smell in room, not much parking

Overall, I was satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed June 2012
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

Do not stay here or with any choice hotel at all!!!! Got to the hotel management didn't acknowledge me for 15min and he wasn't busy. First room the bathroom wasn't clean at all. Second room was in the dungeon smelled of moth balls finally 3rd room OK I move the pillows to find blood on my sheets. Hotel didn't care at all. I even called corporate and got no satisfaction. The hotel didnt even wanna refund my money and ket ne leave!!! Do not spend your money with choice hotels at all. Go to best western!!! Hell the super 8 hotel was cleaner! Thanks choice and clarion for ruining my vacation.

• Stayed July 2011
Dayton, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel every year, for the last 4 years at least, while in New York to attend the Belmont Stakes. Our group has had 2 or 3 rooms each year but I doubt we will be back. While never rude, the staff was indifferent to requests and problems. In no particular order we experienced the following problems:

* We were never once able to park our car in the lot.
* We had a loose toilet seat and only remnants of a hook on the bathroom door.
* A request for 2 additional towels was made 3 times over 6 hours before they were able to locate any.
* After asking for 2 additional glasses twice we were instructed to just get some cups from the breakfast area.
* Burn holes in the comforter.
* Damaged shade on bedside lamps.
* A CFL lamp in 1 lamp would flash for 3 minutes before turning on.
* The television reception was so fuzzy we could not see the ball while attempting to watch the French Open tennis finals.
* Television remote was so "universal" that it could only move up or down channels. No direct access to channels.
* Breakfast so lackluster that a trip down the street to McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts was Fine Dining.

But the absolute straw that broke our spirit was the noise from a club down the street. My wife and I were woken up at about 11PM Saturday night when it started. We both woke several times over the next few hours until it stopped at 4AM. When I asked in the morning if they ever contacted the police, I was told "It's only a problem on Saturday nights." I don't recall seeing that as a feature when we looked at the hotel website. I'll check to see if Belmont will move their race to Wednesday, and if they do, I'll go back to the Clarion.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamaica
Howard Johnson Jamaica NY Near Airtrain JFK
La Quinta Inn & Suites JFK Airport
Ramada Jamaica/Queens
Ramada Jamaica/Queens
#22 of 31 in Jamaica

Been to Lexington Inn at JFK Airport? Share your experiences!