“Adequate”

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Denver
“Adequate”
Reviewed October 15, 2006

Nothing spectacular here. The view -- a lot of school buses behind barbed wire -- was dismal. Room was small.

Best part? Walking down to get the free continental breakfast -- the usual -- I counted six different langauges being spoken in the hall, on the elevator, and in the breakfast area.

Not a vacation spot, but an okay place to hang your hat commuting from JFK ... which you should NEVER do, if you can help it. JFK is HELL.

• Liked — Close to JFK/Cost
  • Disliked — Tiny Rooms
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeepCanyonRat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed October 12, 2006

The Days Inn JFK is located on an access road off the Belt Parkway right near JFK Airport. It is very convenient to the airport and very clean, and we found it to be one of the cheaper places in the area. It also has a free airport shuttle, although we didn't use it. If those are the only things you care about, it's a great choice.

Driving there can be a bit tricky. The hotel is on 153rd Ct., which is the block after 153rd Ln, which is the block after 153rd Pl. Contrary to what Google Maps shows, if you turn into one of the first two, you can't get to the hotel. And if you miss 153rd Ct, you have to go pretty far around to get another shot at making the correct turn. There are a few parking spaces, but the lot is very small. There is nothing within walking distance of the hotel except industrial facilities, gas stations and other chain hotels (HI Express and one or two others are all located on the various "153rd" streets).

We booked a "Queen Suite" with a sofabed on DaysInn.com so that my wife and I could stay in the bedroom and my sister sleep on the pullout couch. Upon checking in, we were told there was no such thing as a suite at the hotel, although our room would have a pullout couch.

The room was tiny. It had a double bed (not a queen) and a small pullout couch where a second double bed would have barely fit. If you pulled out the sofa, there was nowhere to stand except the foot or so between the two beds and the foot or so between the beds and the TV/wardrobe/desk thingee. There was also no closet--only a tiny wardrobe space with a few hangers in the TV cabinet. There was an iron on the wall, but I'm not sure where you would set up an ironing board.

The beds were tolerable, but certainly not luxurious. The elevator was among the slowest I'd ever seen. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel, although I believe it was included in the rate.

The manager of the hotel was completely indifferent to the fact that we'd booked a suite. He said it was a website error and the hotel management was not related to DaysInn.com. He wasn't unpleasant about it, but all he offered to do was give us the DaysInn customer service phone number.

Would we come back? If I needed to stay by JFK and the price was right, I would consider it. It was clean and the guy at the desk was reasonably pleasant (if not particularly accommodating). But other than price I see no particular reason to choose it over the HI Express, where I stayed the year before, and which was a similar hotel with slightly larger rooms and no false advertising on the website.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Tiny rooms and isolation
  • Tips/Secrets — There are no "suites." If you book one, you'll be in a tiny room like everyone else.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank themicah

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

Pitman, New Jersey
Reviewed October 12, 2006

There is no flexibility in emergency situations with the management of this hotel. I was robbed in Europe and returned to the US on emergency passport with very little cash. I had reserved a room at this hotel prior to the trip, but when I got to the hotel late at night, the reservation was cancelled since the credit card was frozen. Luckily a room was still available. However, despite having taken my account info by phone initially and being willing to charge my account after that phone reservation, they refused to accept another charge card number by phone from my family and insisted a fax must be sent and returned. Impossible at 10 pm. Finally they relented, held my passport and said it could be done in the morning. Well, in the morning their fax wasn't working. My relative sent the fax three times from two different machines and nothing would go through. I missed the free shuttle back to the airport, then the clerk said an email would be okay. When I asked why that option wasn't given earlier, she said it was only for last resort. I had to pay an expensive cab fare to get to the airport and barely caught my flight. This was totally humiliating and the desk clerks kept saying they were only following policy. Well, I think this policy is flawed in what was obviously a difficult situation. I will never stay at a Days Inn again.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business

Anywhere to eat within walking distance - No

Rooms clean - Yes
Rooms large - No

Check in and out smooth - Yes
Breakfast - only available after 6am and no assistance offered for earlier flight departures.

BEWARE Courtesy shuttle service - only every half hour, place on bus not guaranteed. If too full then they can call you a cab !

Due to last point would not use again. The shuttle is first come first served as they do not bother to check on arrival who will be leaving when. We thus had to get to reception 20 minutes before the bus to be sure of a seat - not what you want to do at 5 in the morning.

• Liked — Close to JFK
  • Disliked — Badly run airport shuttle service.
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not rely on their shuttle service.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Silex
selma, ca
Reviewed October 3, 2006

We stayed 4 nights, thur-sunday in Septemer. The room was too small, closet space limited. On the first night I asked the front desk clerk for an exrta pillow, but the request went ignored. the cleaning staff was lazy. They made the bed and gave us fresh towels, but the room went unvaccumed for all days we were there and trash was not thrown. The airconditioner in the room lacked a temp. setting, it was either freeze or be uncomfortable in a humid room. I would not take my family here again. The neighborhood was bad and there was a long walk to get a bite to eat.

• Liked — shuttle to jfk was simple
  • Disliked — small room, lack of guest service,
  • Tips/Secrets — save the extra money for a hotel close to Manhatten
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank sfgiantfan
Avon, CT
Reviewed August 22, 2006

I stayed at this hotel to attend a family funeral in the area, so I drove onto the property. I can' t comment on the shuttle.

The hotel is in a block of properties...HI Express and Best Western (I think) which form three sides of a sqare. The other side of the square is made up of a depot for NYC sanitation vehicles (ie garbage trucks), across the street is a school bus depot. Noise was no problem during my stay as school was out of session and we had a room on the back side of the hotel which faces the inside of the square formed by the hotels and the truck depot. I heard no noise, but then I am a heavy sleeper. Regardless, during the day, I heard no noise and would assume the windows are pretty well soundproofed.

The area has nothing to recommend it. The closest place to eat is a Burger King on Rockaway Blvd, one block east of the hotel.

The hotel is about 1 yr old and is spotlessly clean. We had a king room: roomy enough for 2 people to move around, sizable bathroom, desk, TV, wardrobe, hair dryer, iron/board, coffee maker. No other sitting area. Again, spotlessly clean. I never tried the internet service, though I had brought my laptop with me. My only complaint was that there was a strong citrus smell in the rooms and hallways....they must have recently cleaned the carpets as I recognize that smell from a degreasing chemical used in carpet cleaning machines.

Check in was smooth and courteous as was the checkout. No complaints. They gave us a little gift bag with some granola bars, mints, and some product samples (skin cream, energy drink powder, some other odd stuff) at check in.

The free continental breakfast was pretty weak (you're in a city where the bagel is a work of art and what they had wasn't even a close specimen), but the coffee was fine....and, hey, its free and gets ya going in the morning.

All in all, if you are expecting a luxury stay when you book this room at a price on the order of $115 a night, well, you aren't very reasonable, are you? Accept this for what it is: a clean, new budget hotel that offers a good price and a solid stay when you need a night by the airport.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank biztrav123
Dallas
Reviewed July 6, 2006

By far the smallest room I've ever stayed in, but I guess that's New York, overpriced small rooms. The shower tup stopped up. Room was clean.

Stayed June 2006