All reviews air train new york jamaica queens free breakfast bagels subway nyc jfk archer airport flight convenience connection
Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

My sister died, only after a couple of hours after making the reservations. I tried calling HJ for hours, than days. No one picks up the phone at this location. Finally after three days of trying someone picked up the phone. Unable to speak clear proper English. It was close to impossible to understand the person. Finally after much frustration they seemed to understand. They said they would refund me as I never showed up or signed in, due to my sisters death. The next day I noticed a charge on my credit card for over $500.00 dollars. They charged me for the entire week. It took me more than a month to get help. I had to write a letter with the documentation and backup to The President of Howard Johnson to get action. This location basically made a false charge to my account. Than would not credit the account after being caught. The lack of moral decency and character is incredible. To do this to a grieving family at a time when we could have used some understanding and compassion. I would warn anyone planning to stay here not to. They don't deserve your buisness. The lack of moral responsibility and respect is beneath us all. The insult and disrespect I feel is unmeassurable. Howard Johnson Wyndham Hotels should not let thier name be apart of this estsblshment. All you have to do is look at the other reviews which I should have to begin with. Low class, heartless, crooks. Shame on them.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Camper618352
Reviewed August 28, 2018

This was a terrible place and bad experience. I could not even spend the night in this place.

We got to the hotel around 10:15 PM the night of our reservation. The front desk clerk was so slow and not nice when dealing with customers checking in that I should have taken this as a sign of how the room would be. The other customers were complaining about a poo smell coming from their bathroom, and one lady asked for someone to clean the room to get rid of the smell. She was told there was no one in and when she asked for cleaning supplies to do it herself, the clerk told her he could not help. She asked for a Manager and even though he was the manager he told her to come back in the morning.

For my own experience; when we got the room we has the same terrible poo smell, although the bathroom was somewhat clean. So i closed the bathroom door, which is right next to the bed and turned the fan on to try and get the smell to go away. They clearly knew this was an issue as they attempted to mask the small with an overly high scented wall plug in, which gave us a headache. When we attempted to turn on the AC to cycle the air, the smell go worse. It smelt like dirty recycling bins.

I went to the hotel with my husband, 1 year old and 16 year old. There was no way we were going to spend the night in this hotel, let alone the entire stay. When we went to the front to tell them we were checking out and for a receipt to prove our check in and check out time (so I could talk to hotels.ca to get my refund), it took another hour to get this information.

In this time my 1 year old was so tired and upset and we had to try and book another hotel on the fly.There were also other customers complaining about their rooms as well. The wifi did not work while we tried, and other customers were complaining that it did not work for them either, Some customers were even turned away because the rooms were overbooked.

I would never recommend this place to anyone, EVER. No matter how desperate you are.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
3  Thank SamaraK77
Reviewed July 6, 2018

This place is a dump. The breakfast is a joke. I was terrified of getting mugged. Noise was out of control. I had reserves the property next door and somehow got moved to this one. It's cheap for a reason

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank akelle586042
Reviewed July 2, 2018 via mobile

I felt I need to post this since I am a travel agent & I did read these reviews below for this hotel & it scared me. Scared me because I reserved it then read it. Firstly there are 2 buildings.1 new and the Howard Johnson a bit older. Being in either one is the same concept. Clean comfie lobby and a reception desk. No smell to complain of that I also read.Everyone experience will be different and I am speaking if my own. Room was average so was the washroom. No microwave in the rooms but you do have a mini fridge and coffee maker, access to microwave in breakfast room.Safe in room. Bed very comfortable...no King Size offered at this location. I had a Double. Staff are very accommodating and friendly. If you aren't satisfied with something...let then know. Dont just leave it alone and gripe about it after the fact. They are eager to help no matter how early or how late. I find they had a variety of things for breakfast that are not norm.for continental, was awesome. Bagel,donuts, muffins, cereal, bread, French toast and much much more.
The location...one thing that concerned me was because of the train station but nope, nothing to worry about.. no noise. Of course this is Queens after all so you need to be careful of your surroundings.
Now with every positive comes a negative. The only area I find lacking is cleaning. The cleaning staff need to do much much more. This is not an in and out thing. It's a traffic area, different people..needs to be clean properly. Step back when you are done and look at it..I am sure you will see where isn't clean.its noticeable. Next pillows, 2 isnt enough for me but once again personal prefference so that's not a negative per say. Lastly, you are attracting travellers, tourists etc that will be carrying suitcases..you need suitcase holder otherwise ur desk or chairs will get damage from people putting their suitcases on it.
There folks..you have it...my review from June 29 to July 2nd 2018.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2018

I know this is NYC, and we chose this hotel due to its close proximity to the LIRR station, but there was barely room to put our suitcases down! Cheap sheets & tiny towels, and no toiletries except 1 tiny bar of soap. To top it off, the front desk clerk decided that 11pm was a great time to try to jack up the rate on my husband even though we had made a reservation weeks in advance. The "free breakfast" was a joke!

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family