“Acovenient wayside inn.”

Knights Inn JFK Airport NYC
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I use this hotel as a necessary stopover on returning from Australia to Vermont. The airport shuttle works well, the rooms are generally clean with good showers, and the breakfast buffet is suficient for a decent breakfast. I ask no more than this for what in NYC is a reasonable price. NB. in VT. this hotel would be at least thirty percent cheaper.
But, I'm always glad of a rest with no aggravation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
1  Thank Damien C

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here because I had to visit Queens College in the area and I thought this would be convenient. The fact there is a hotel shuttle is nice, but the AirTrain station is very close so it is probably faster to just take that. It took about 30 minutes for the shuttle to pick me up. The room was ok. It wasn't terrible, but certainly not very nice either. The pillows were flat and not particularly comfortable. The neighborhood is iffy in my opinion, and a friend that lives in Queens confirmed that for me. I was supposed to stay another night, but ended up changing my reservation to stay in Manhattan. It was around $100 to stay here for a night and the hotel I got in Manhattan had the same size room for $160 and was right by Times Square. Unless you really need to be in Queens, just stay in Manhattan and take the subway back to Queens.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Got a member discount and stayed for US$100/night. Dirt cheap for New York standards. Free pickup from JFK Airport is awesome as well (some tipping required) when it is not really close to JFK.

20 minutes from JFK on rush hour traffic. Hotel is actually in Jamaica close to Van Wyck subway station. Taking the subway on an express train for about 20 minutes will bring you straight into Manhattan.

There is no restaurant on-site, but hey, there are Wendy's, Mcdonalds and Dunkin Donuts nearby to satisfy your late night hunger. Breakfast is served on the 2nd floor, really basic, self-made waffles and premixed juices.

Some of the previous reviewers have feedbacked the hotel being in a "bad" neighborhood. Coming from Singapore I am very used to people from all races. Having a different skin colour does not make you a bad person. While it is true that I do not see much "white" people around the hotel, my tip is that just keep a low profile and everything will be fine.

To summarize, tired furniture but overall clean rooms. I don't really care about aging decor as long as the room is clean, the beds are comfortable and there is free WIFI. Will stay here again if the price is right.

Room Tip: Having stayed 2 times there, smaller rooms can sometimes be cosier:)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank newzl
Reviewed April 6, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
1  Thank Melanie M
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was here twice in one week and there were good & bad with both stays. Both nights were 109.00 plus tax.
1st visit - Airport shuttle picked me up promptly at JFK & it took 25 minutes with the rush hour traffic when he stayed off the highway. Check in went fine & my room was on the first floor. I immediately did a cleanliness inspection & searched for bedbugs & none were found. The bed was comfortable & mattress had a zippered cover (I am sure it's to help keep out the bedbugs) but it had a bedspread which I hate (because they are rarely washed). The box spring was absolutely disgusting (see photos) as was the velux blanket. It had so many holes in it is appeared as though a mouse chewed it up (see photos)! If you can't replace the box springs, the least you should do its put a cover on it! The tub was very large & deep for this type of hotel but there was mold in the grout. My water pressure also kept coming & going constantly which was a real problem because it happened like every 5 seconds & either you didn't have enough or you were totally blasted over & over again. I slept fine (without the blanket or bedspread) & the shuttle took took me to JFK at 5:30am (10-12 minutes without traffic) as it runs at half past each hour but you must sign up in the lobby. When I was nearly at JFK I realized I had left my phone in the room. The driver let off the other guest & took me back to get it without a problem.

2nd visit - I had a first floor room which was a room below the street level & was very noisy. The bed wasn't as comfortable as before but it did have a newer blanket although it was very cheap & rough to the touch. There was no zippered cover on the mattress or box spring although it wasn't as stained as the one on my previous visit. I noticed hair in the sink & on the towels/washcloths which is a major pet peeve of mine. It may have been the housekeepers but it only takes a second to double check that you didn't leave any hair behind when cleaning. There was also some nasty splatters of something on the wall near the bed.

The hotel is walking distance to Wendys, KFC, Dunkin Donuts & McDonalds but I am not sure as a female I would walk to any of them after dark since there were plenty of sketchy people on the street. There is a small market across the street for snacks, drinks or whatever. A hospital is nearby and I did hear sirens quite frequently.

This was the most economical place near JFK with the best reviews which is why I selected it. I was traveling for work & am not allowed much money for hotels so I didn't have a choice. I probably will spend a little more next time & try another place.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor possible to try to escape some of the street noise
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a budget and economy motel but the room was very clean and nice. I stayed here for 6 nights, 1st night I was on the street side bit loud but they changed my room on the other side after my request and much better. The breakfast was free but could have more healthy choices. We had a king bed, room was 202. The room was big from the NY standard. I looked at some other places online and compare to that I guess this was a good choice.
The staff (shaan) was very friendly and helpful. We were from the country side and never been to the big city, so I was scared but Shaan's some helpful tips saved our time.

At first, the area did not look safe but it is a big city. But we did not have any issues.
Thanks Shaan and the Super 8, we will back for the future visit and will recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin G
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My family of 4 recently spent two nights in a basement room at the Super 8 near JFK airport. First night - TV didn't work, part of the lock is missing on the door, beds uncomfortable, garbage behind the bathroom door on the floor. The front desk says that they are full but will move us to another room the next day, so this is just one night and we can put up with almost anything for one night. Next day different front desk person refuses to move us, so one more night in the dank dingy dungeon. Housekeeping has come and taken the garbage but not made the beds. Early morning flight - so glad to leave. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family