“Service Needs Improvement”

Knights Inn JFK Airport NYC
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed November 4, 2007

Review Body :
Biggest complaint was the service. The shuttle driver picked people up in the middle of the street at the airport pick-up zone and drove like a mad man on the way back to the hotel. (His driving was unsafe even by New York standards.) The night desk clerk was unhelpful, away from the desk when needed, rude, and acted like he had a great deal of trouble understanding English. I requested that the desk order a cab to drive me to Times Square early the next morning. Although I was told a cab would pick me up, a "guy" in a poorly maintained car showed up. (The car brakes squealed a lot when he braked, he had duck-tape holding his outside mirror together, the heat did not work correctly, etc.) I would have called my own cab, but the additional time to call one would have made me late. The guy charged me twice as much as what a cab would have charged and he had to call a "friend" for directions to my destination. (I would not have paid, but I did not find out he had over charged me until later that day.)

Recommendations:
If you are a guy traveling and short on cash this hotel may be okay. But I STRONGLY DO NOT RECOMMEND this to a woman traveling under ANY conditions. (I would hate to think of my wife staying at this hotel; and I would really hate to think of her ordering a "cab" while staying there. Luckily we now know not to use this hotel again.) I believe most women would find the hotel location, staff, and overall conditions to be unsafe and very discomforting. For example: The staff seemed to be perpetually angry. There was a nice, little foreign-couple that came in with me that was really treated badly. I believe that if I was not an American male, with a large build, they would have tried to treat me as badly as they treated the couple.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Traveler-w-Sony-Dig
There are newer reviews for Knights Inn JFK Airport NYC

Reviewed October 30, 2007

After i booked this Hotel directly i read of several bad reviews and nearly canceled my booking. I was glad i didn't. The Hotel is well located , the shuttle service efficient and there are lots to eat and shop in close proximity. For the price i paid i am more than happy. The Hotel is quite comfortable and although facilities are limited it is expected because of the price range. When i am going back to NY i will stay there again.
Rafi Mohammed.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2007

Positive: It’s very close and easy to find from the JFK, bedclothes are clean, gratis and safe parking, really favorable rate by comparison with others from the same standard
Neutral: Staff is very impersonal, the bathroom was not so trustable, motel’s breakfast (waffle, coffee and orange juice).
Negative: The shower was broke, sad and ugly neighborhood.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Barbara-Euzebia
Reviewed October 6, 2007

We thought the hotel for great for the price we paid..The shuttle came quickly to Station C to pick us up. We only booked it so we'd be near JFK for an early morning flight. It met all our needs for the night, and was more than we had expected for the price. The breakfast was good. They had bagels, waffles, fruit, juice and toast. The staff was very nice to us. The shuttle takes you to your departure terminal to catch a flight so you don't have to catch AirTrain back to the terminal. We will stay there again when we have an early flight out of JFK.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ensley
Reviewed October 6, 2007

Booked this hotel on Hotwire because it was close to JFK and I wanted
an overnight after traveling internationally. It is very easy to reach by going out of the airport on Air Tran to the shuttle stop, and the friendly driver did wait for me when he found out I was close
to arriving.

The elevator was broken but I managed to get to the third floor okay.
Room 312 was a smoking room and smelled pretty bad. While the bathroom was completely new and sparkling, and the bedding was nice, the rest of the room wasn't good, including the desk chair that looked like someone had hemmorhaged in it and the ripped and filthy carpeting.

The area was too scary to go out for any food, but the Chinese restaurant delivered so that was good. I did not experience the breakfast because I left so early for the airport, but there wasn't any bottled water in the vending machine so I got some from the restaurant.

The return trip to the airport was prompt and went directly to the airport, so it was only 10 minutes or so, which makes a difference at 5 am.

I don't think I would stay at this hotel again, and will book something in a little higher price range for overnighting near JFK (and I have stayed in the youth hostels in NYC).

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank TulareSue
Reviewed September 8, 2007

Thats the worst hotel/motel I have ever stayed with and I am surprised how atall EXPEDIA displays such an accomodation in its search list !!! I never expected EXPEDIA being such careless in its hotel selection process. The hotel management was a nuisanse (especially the lady at the front desk). They even dont know (or I think they didnt care) how to treat/greet/ talk to their customers courteously !! ; not to talk about the room cleaniliness. The very first day I wanted to get out of the hotel but I had already paid for it earlier through EXPEDIA and I didnt wanted to loose my hard earned money. I feel like cheated by both EXPEDIA and that hotel. I am really very dissatisfied with EXPEDIA given their negligence and that I have had my last four trips booked from their website. Now I really need to be very careful. I am very sorry to reveal this but I feel I must let other people not face the same harsh experience while staying at such a lowly hotel offered by EXPEDIA. So please always disregard this SUPER 8 hotel/motel in Jamaica, Newyork.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 25, 2007

For NYC, this isn't bad. The rooms are cheap (we got it on Priceline for $80/night) and everything is clean and fairly new. The beds are uncomfortable and the shower took some getting used to - it has an odd mechanism for turning the water on. The complimentary breakfast was good, and the free in-room wireless internet and free car parking were nice amenities. We had a small moving truck with us, though, and were told that we could not park the truck in the parking lot.
The worst part of the stay was the hotel staff - they looked in my car and saw that I had a crate on the backseat and insisted that I had a dog in my room and said that there were complaints of a dog. I assured them that I didn't have a dog, but that I had 2 cats in my room which I brought in through the front lobby (there is only one entrance door). Even after telling them this they insisted that I had a dog. The desk clerk brought out the manager who reprimanded me for bringing pets into the hotel. Apparently there is a no pets policy, however, this isn't posted anywhere and wasn't mentioned when I checked in or listed on any of the check-in documents. I found it incredibly rude and invasive of the staff to peer into my car.
The area is OK, there are fast food restaurants and delis within walking distance. The area feels fairly safe for NYC - there are single family homes right behind the hotel. It's in a more residential area which tourists generally don't see when coming to NYC, so some people might not feel safe in the area if you're not used to being in lower-income areas of large cities.
Overall, it's not bad for a night, it's cheap and clean, which is often hard to come by in NYC.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jennesy