“costs a bit more than alternatives but worth it”

Hilton Garden Inn Queens / JFK Airport
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here after missing a flight at JFK. At first I just picked up the airport phone and called the first one. There are lots of hotels here with very similar names, and similar prices and judging by opinions of the airport staff (and online reviews) they are all horrible.

I'd had a day from hell and was exhausted - the last thing I wanted to do was stay in some fleapit. I wanted a decent bed, wifi and so I decided to go for the Hilton as I've often stayed in Hiltons previously.

I'm glad I did - what I found was a very reasonable, decent quality room and bathroom and an acceptable room service menu.

There were hordes of student travellers waiting for their cheap rooms at the airport and having spent a night in hotels like that previously, and got no sleep, I couldn't face it - I definitely recommend the Hilton Garden inn if you're a business traveler who just wants somewhere half decent, with no noise and whilst not hugely expensive, isn't bargain basement prices either. (I think I paid about $70 extra for the privilege of staying here) - total of $200 per night.

Good speed and free wifi, great nights sleep and a free shuttle to and from the airport that ran more often than the others (in the evening) and every half an hour seemingly 24 hours (I got the shuttle back at around 5:30am). The hotel is next to the Sheraton and you take the same shuttle - stay on the bus after it stops at the Sheraton, and it will go around the corner to the Hilton.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Sade B, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Queens / JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay. We strive to provide you with a clean and friendly place to stay, and I am so happy that we provided that to you. I hope if your travel needs ever bring you back to the Queens JFK area you choose to stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Queens / JFK Airport

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I don't usually review chain hotels, and most Hilton Garden Inns are consistent across the country. When you check into one, you know what you're going to get, with few surprises. It's a chain I visit often, because I'm a Hilton Honors member, and because I like the free wifi, comfortable beds, and generally well-kept facilities. It's not a luxury chain, but it's a reliable choice.

I only want to mention this one in particular because of the staff. I have never been greeted with such warmth and enthusiasm as I was here. And we stayed twice -- once on departure from JFK, and again when we returned from our trip. Both times, my husband and I looked at each other and said, 'wow, why are they so friendly?" Then we decided that's just the way they are -- and what a nice way to be welcomed!

In particular, the desk clerk Tirzah and the waiter in the restaurant, Vincent, were effusive and ready to do anything for us. Thank you to both for making two weary travelers feel so at home!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

WOW! Thank you for the fabolus review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your styay and choose to review us. Ill be sure to share your feedback with Vincent and Tirzah, and I hope that if you are ever in the Queens the JFK you choose to stay with us.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Old fashioned and tired decor.. cracked bath and basin, hair in the basin .. old fashioned bed linens .. you get the picture! A hotel of last resort ( or the last one available when your flight gets cancelled!)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Michaellloyd H

Thank you for taking your time to comment on your recent stay and your honest feedback.

I personally apologize that you were not satsifed with your most recent stay. If you would like to
discuss you challanges further please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel is exactly what you expect for the price. There are no "good" locations near JFK - it's a bad neighborhood. However, I felt safe in the hotel. My only complaint is that for the price ($150 - $200/night) the breakfast should be included in the rate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy that we could proivde you with a clean and friendly place while you were away from home. I hope that if y our travel needs every bring you back to JFK you choose to stay with us.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

On Wednesday June 19 my family had a very rough air travel with Delta while trying to connect through JFK. Everything that could go wrong did including a faulty reservation through API (their fault) at the JFK airport. When we arrived the Hilton, the front desk person Craig informed us that the hotel was booked. Through some detective work he found a room that was not taken. The kitchen extended their hours to make us some food with superior service and friendliness. The next morning the staff at the hotel and the restaurant was incredibly friendly and helpful as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I'm so thrilled that we could be of assistance during a difficult time with your travels. Ill be sure to share your great comments with Craig, and the restaurant staff.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

British Airways placed us here after we missed our flight. The staff was professional and courteous. After spending a month in Europe, it was nice to stay in this hotel, under the circumstances. The room was clean, bed comfortable, and the hotel was right next to JFK

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank You for sharing your feedback. We strive to provide you with a clean and friendly place to stay while you are away from home. Glad we could provide you with a stress relief during your delayed flight at JFK.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My recent stay in New York was made very stressful by a complete lack of service and consideration by the staff of the Hilton Hotel at JFK Airport. They refused to provide me accommodation despite written confirmation of my booking. The reception staff refused to accept my booking or take any responsibility to correct the situation. A second customer was stranded at the reception counter in exactly the same situation as me, having made a confirmed booking which was not being honored. I was traveling with my blind fiancee and left her at the reception counter to use their service phone to speak with the booking agency. She waited at the desk for over half an hour while I was on the phone. She was ignored and not offered a seat or glass of water while I was occupied on the phone. Other hotel guests had to walk around her and our bags to make their arrangements at reception. I had to interrupt my call to move her and our bags to a quiet location. This situation was very stressful and embarrassing for her. The staff attitude bordered on callous. Sorry and a glass of water would have helped. I will never use this hotel again in my life.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Non-resident
Sade B, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Queens / JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

I apologize about the negative experience that you had while staying at our property. We strive to provide you with a clean and friendly place to stay while you are away from home, and I am sorry that we fell short in providing that to you. I hope if you are ever in the Queens JFK area you allow us another opportunity to serve you.