“Some good, some bad”

Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
“Some good, some bad”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on and off 6 weeks for work. The young bartender is a stuck snob, i guess he thinks he's too pretty to serve drinks. Don't order the fish tacos, awful. The beds are great, the air conditioner is super confusing though. Tons of food to order that deliver, just ask the front desk.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Missgonealot
newston r, General Manager at Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize if the bartender did not make you feel welcome at the lounge. I know which employee you are referring to and will speak to him about the concern. He have receive great reviews about him, but I will definitely investigate what happened. If you don't mind, please email me the reason why you dislike the fish tacos and I would like to discuss with my Chef. We are in the process of choosing a new thermostat for the guest rooms, which will be more easier to operate. We have provided instructions in the guest rooms to assist with modifying the temperature and fan control. Our staff is always willing and ready to assist with any questions. My email address is agm@cpjfkairport.com. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed July 30, 2014

After reading some of the reviews on this hotel, I've come to the conclusion that the local competitors have been writing false reviews on the CP. Just booked and stayed one night in prep for an international flight out of JFK. The Crown Plaza had the best rates compared to the current top 4 hotels AND I found the hotel to be very clean, professionally staffed and basic amenities without a fee

Slept comfortable on the first fllo. Took advantage of the extensive appetizers during Happy Hour. Had a great veggie burger for dinner. Hit the gym in the a.m and completed some work on the free internet. Shuttle got me to Terminal 1 with NO issues.

I've tried the JFK courtyard and Hilton. The best value is at the Crowne Plaza. Trust me -- I'll stay there again.

Room Tip: Try the happy hour. Extensive food offerings for the price of 1 drink!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
newston r, Manager at Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you Erick for the wonderful comments regarding your stay and our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed the happy hour we offer in our lounge. The Idlewild Lounge also offers specials 7 days a week. We understand the business and family travelers, so it's why we offer breakfast buffet, complimentary WIFI, have refrigerators in all the rooms, plus our staff will assist with any requests. I will share your experience with the team. On your next visit, please try the "slamming salmon" sandwich, it's my favorite.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 30, 2014

The hotel was very comfortable, and we very much liked our 2 queen bed room. Nicely decorated, comfortable beds, nice bathroom. A bit difficult to understand the air-condition, so room was quite cold for a while - then quite warm.

Biggest problem was the way we were welcomed. Had pre-booked/paid a long time ago via hotels.com, but upon arrival we were told that there was no room available. Late at night and traveling on my own with three children, this was not what I needed to hear. But after a 5 min wait, a room was found - and from that moment on the service was very good. Very friendly receptionist, offering good advice to us.

Did not test the breakfast offer, but bought some quite expensive food at the shop/snack-bar. Tasted ok, but too expensive.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your travels to NYC. I apologize for the mistake during arrival process. I verified it was a new employee working the front desk and assisting you during check in. Your reservation was confirmed and as mentioned 5 minutes later you were able to receive a room. My associate made an error with the computer system. I am glad you were able to receive great service and you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully next visit you have the opportunity to taste our food in the restaurant, which is open from 6am to 12am each day. Our pantry/gift shop called "JET" is available 24 hours, 7 days a week. The prices are comparable and similar to other hotels in the area. We tried to offer a variety of items for our guests to make it convenient.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Convenient to JFK, new, slick, modern and well designed. But bad food, complicated aircon/heating unit --thought I was going to freeze! Phones not labeled and operator had an attitude, room service food was atrocious! Airport van drivers are the very best, fast, efficient and friendly in a NYC way! Bell men fast, friendly, in tune with your needs and know the property!
Bottom line: good places to sleep for an early flight or late arrival--Eat elsewhere! And don't expect a smile in the lobby--slick modern lobby with old attitudes greeting you! Hey it's New York! What did you expect?

Stayed July 2014
newston r, Manager at Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize for the attitude and service you mentioned you received from few department associates. This is how we want our associates to deliver service to the guests. We understand there's a lot of hotel options in the area and want you and other guests to continue staying with us. Yes we are a new hotel and offer modern, slick and new design, but we want to make you feel special and failed to do so with this stay. For this reason I personally apologize and hope you could contact me for future travels to this area. I would personally book your reservation and offer you an upgrade based on availability. I will also request the Chef to prepare the dish of your choice from our menu. We receive many positive comments regarding our restaurant entrees and would like to discuss your experience with the restaurant. If you have the opportunity, please contact me at agm@cpjfkairport.com. Thank you again for the feedback.
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed July 24, 2014

After reading other comments from travellers that have stayed at the hotel , I find myself feeling sort of confused....
We found ourself with a cancelled flight out of JFK to Chicago due to weather issues and after being told by our airline wouldnt pay for accomodation due to the issue being weather related ,we were told we could get a shuttle bus to various different hotels afetr finding the area we had to go to...(that was kind of confusing but we did get there in the end ) we arrived atbthe hotel and were greeted by David who was extreemly helpful and gave us what w e thought was a more than reasonable price for our one night stay....we have no complaints about any of the members of staff that we encountered they always had a smile and were very helpful...we enjoyed a snack in the restaurante and after explaining our ordeal with cancelled flight to the young lady server she was very sympathetic and was so sweet to another family with a young child....the room was perfectly adequate for an overnight stay,clean and comfortable with a lovely big bathroom ,god products qnd tea and coffee making facilities...we were taken back to our terminal the very next day by a very nice lady driver in a shuttle bus that took us right to the door...everything wqs made extreemly easy ,and were helped to find a decent local diner so we could meet friends to have breakfast...we would like to say a huge thank you to all at the hotel for thier help and proffesionalism during our stay....

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank newyorkfreak61
Thank you for the great feedback. I'm glad you had an amazing stay with us. We always try to offer the best available rate to the guests. We understand how you feel when a flight is delayed or cancelled. Our guest rooms do offer "Sleep Advantage" bath amenities products to make your night more comfortable and relaxing. Our bar & restaurant is open late and offer variety meal options and sweet treats. Our complimentary shuttle is 24 hours and will take you to the terminal when you depart. Hopefully your future flights when in New York do not cancel, but if they do, please stay with us again. We would love to be your host again. I will share the comments with my team. Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Chapel Hill
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I found myself stuck at the JFK airport after my flight was cancelled and could not catch another until 2:30 the next day. I called the Crowne Plaza at 7:30 pm and by 9:00 pm I had been shuttled to the hotel, given basic toiletries and tucked into bed. They were able to meet my needs in a bad situation and make me feel comfortable. I loved the bath products that they provided in the room. I do not typically use the products provided by hotels. My main bathroom bag was in my suitcase which was still sitting at the airport. The products they provided smelled nice and did not dry out my hair or skin. I was also able to request a late checkout since I was not leaving until around noon for the airport. I did however feel like the breakfast buffet was overpriced for what they provided but the staff was very nice in the restaurant and even helped me find a corner store to get a few other things I needed. I was at terminal 2 and had to figure out how to catch the airbus to Federal Circle to get to the hotel shuttle, it would have been nice if they could have picked me up at the terminal since my flight had been cancelled due to torrential rain and a bad storm. It was a wet and scary walk by myself and wound up being the only passenger on the shuttle. They did drop me off at the terminal that I needed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Loretta H
newston r, Manager at Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding your stay. I am glad we were able to provide accommodations to you. Sometimes there are situations when airlines cancel flights, but it's always for the best due to weather or mechanical concerns. We are always prepared to assist the guests and have amenities like you mentioned to make the stay more relaxing and comfortable. Unfortunately, due to Port Authority Police we are not able to pick up guests from the Terminals because of the traffic. We would love to, so it's more convenient for our guests, but we do however drop you off at the terminals. For future reference, you may take a taxi to the hotel if you wish not to use the air train to federal circle. Our hotel shuttle is complimentary and available 24 hours 7 days a week, so I recommend using our services.
Southeast
Reviewed July 17, 2014

My company puts me up here so I don't really have a choice on where I stay at JFK. With that in mind I've spent 10 nights here in the last two months. The good: recently renovated well appointed rooms, a staff that really is trying. The bad: LOUD, poor AC (I mean REALLY bad), high crime area. The staff really is solid but management has left them little to work with, There are a number of hotel just down the street (Hampton and Hilton) which I would pick over this nightmare.

Room Tip: Get an inside room and carefully read the "programming instructuons" posted over the HVAC...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
David R, Manager at Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
We take your comments very seriously, and thank you for taking the time to evaluate your stay and to provide feedback about how we can improve. Again please accept our sincere apology for us not meeting your expectation during your stay.

We here at the Crowne Plaza JFK respond to all all our guests comments . Each email, letters, phone calls are read, listen to and decisions are made on how to improve any problem a guest may have. This is done to ensure that future guest will not endure the same issue and for our guests that will re-visit to know that their feedback did make a difference. I would like to hear more details about your stay. If possible, you can reach me at my email address at nm@cpjfkairport.com or you can reach me at the hotel at 718 530-1160.

Again we apologize we fell short in your customer service experience.