“Bad Experience”

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
New York City, New York
“Bad Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Arrived on a late flight and waited in freezing cold to watch shuttle bus from most other hotels arrive but no joy so caught a taxi. Reception at hotel on arrival not great but worse on departure. Could not sleep due to horrific noise from traffic which returned a sharp railway track crossing noise every time a car drove by. Finally got up to have freezing cold water only. Complained to reception who offered another room and someone would drop off key which did not arrive. Given my imminent flight I called back to enquire after key to be told she was waiting for staff to arrive as she was alone on duty, I reminded her of my imminent flight and shot down to reception to find 2 people on duty. Unfortunately this is the first bad experience I have had to take the time to write about but I feel it my duty to warn others. I remain grumpy due to the lack of sleep exacerbated by the cold water and bad service experience. Never again and worse I had yo pay good money for it.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Henry G,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. We are deeply sorry that we fell below your standards on this occasion. We have sent you a private message to discuss.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Used this hotel as a stop over as I was flying out JFK the next day. The hotel was convenient, clean, and the rooms were well kitted out. However, noise from outside, and from the corridors is very noticeable.

The Landing Restaurant offers reasonable value, if maybe not the most inspiring menu.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank badgeronimous
Louis G, General Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
On behalf of all Employees of the Holiday Inn Hotel at JFK Airport, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit in New York City. We realize there are many hotels to choose from and appreciate that you chose to stay with us. We would also like to thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback about your stay. We will use your feedback to help us improve the levels of service we provide all our guest in the future.

Louis Gonzalez
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here couple weeks ago for just one night. It's a new hotel, room was clean and beds were comfortable. Shuttle was efficient, both drivers were very nice. Everyone at the reception desk was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good.
There is nothing to do in the area but we took a bus and then subway to the city- took at least an hour each way, but our flight from ny was late at night so we had time, just left bags at the hotel and then came back and took a shuttle to the airport.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank PSB25
Louis G, General Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this review, April 18, 2014

I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service to get you to the Subway into Midtown.

Louis Gonzalez,
Sutton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed here during a week business trip in Long Island. The exact area that this is in is not the greatest and really a place to stay if you need a hotel for an evening before you are heading out of JFK or a quick night stayover before heading to NYC. Depending on the flight path planes may be landing right in the path of the hotel which may get a little noisey. Staff is very friendly in the hotel. Ate twice at the hotel restaurant and the food was very good pub food but the staff in the hotel can be more friendly. A couple on my last evening next to me were smoking marijuana in their room and it had come in through my bathroom fan system and my entire room smelled like a Cheech & Chong movie, I alerted the front desk and was surprised to see that they quickly reacted, went to the room next door to me, and let them know they needed to cease any such activity. I appreciated their quick response. The rooms are very small (maybe 150 sq ft.) but they are new, TV's are excellent, furniture is new so the downside of size is countered by the new amenities. You also hear everything going on in the halls because of the size of the room.

Room Tip: No rooms are a "good view" but front of hotel rooms will look better than back of hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Brian D

Louis Gonzalez
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed here soon after the hotel opened, and so everything was clean and brand new. The rooms aren't huge, but they are well equipped and comfortable. Shuttle bus was efficient. Staff helpful.

I got in to the hotel late and left very early the next morning so didn't try the restaurant, internet or any other facilities, but as a convenient place to stay near the airport I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Chris S
Louis G, General Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this review, March 27, 2014

Hopefully, next time you visit us you can enjoy a good meal in our dining room.

Manchester, Connecticut, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and parked our car while we were gone for a week. They had a good "sleep and fly" package which was cheaper than the other hotels so we decided to give it a try. The hotel is very new and while the rooms are small they suit your needs - no fridge, however. We ate at the restaurant they had on site and we were not impressed. The burger my boyfriend had was thin and burnt. I got a Reuben and it wasn't too bad, but I think it was a little pricey for the quality. Unfortunately, the service was terrible. The girl took my order and walked away before my boyfriend could place his... Very strange. I think she was new because she seemed very confused. While we were happy to see a restaurant right in the hotel, it didn't have a great atmosphere and we went right up to our room when we were done with our meal. We had a very early flight in the morning so we missed the breakfast but I'm sure it's typical continental fare. The shuttle to the airport was sitting there when we walked out in the AM and it leaves every half hour. When we returned from our trip we did have a little trouble. Apparently there is another holiday inn at JFK and we ended up on the wrong shuttle. Luckily the drivers were great and we got back to the hotel and to our car! However the hotel should really stress the fact that there are two holiday inn shuttles and you want the one for Brookville. Having seen the other holiday inn, I am glad we stayed at this one. It's newer and although a little further from the airport (10 min vs 5), it seemed to be in a safer location away from traffic. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly C

I'm sorry that you may have been confused by the presence of another Holiday Inn in our area. The other hotel you refer to is actually a Holiday Inn Express. I hope this helps clarify it some for the next time you visit us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back,
Harpenden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Had an early morning flight from JFK so stayed overnight. The room was fine. People on reception were helpful. Had dinner in the restaurant - fair value. The shuttle service was excellent. A very good airport hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael M
We would like to thank you for allowing us an opportunity to provide you with your lodging needs while you were in New York City.

We would also like to thank you for providing us with some feedback about your recent stay. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us.