“Nice hotel...watch the charges”

Sleep Inn JFK Airport Rockaway Blvd
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
NYC
“Nice hotel...watch the charges”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Very nice hotel, clean, relatively new and reasonably priced. Pay attention to your final bill. Upon checkout, the "system was down" and the manager happily agreed to email me my receipt once it was ready. While waiting for my flight, the email came in and upon review, I noticed two additional charges appearing after the expected total according to Choice Hotels' booking site - I reserved the room directly through them rather than a third-party booker. One charge was for "Hotel Services Fee - $1.63", the other "Safe w/ltd Warranty - $1.63." Now, let's be honest, $3.26 is not going to affect anyone's bottom line, but what annoys me is that the charges appeared, after I was out of the hotel, and without any prior notice. Needless to say, before I could explain my "displeasure" to the manager over the telephone, he immediately offered to reverse both charges. So, "caveat emptor" and enjoy a clean, inexpensive night's sleep."

Room Tip: Ask for a room on at least the second floor. The first floor is 8 steps up from the lobby and is a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My flight from JFK was cancelled, and a travel agent booked me here. Sleep Inn Rockaway is about a 5 minute drive from the airport, in Jamaica, NY. It's adjacent to airport industry and residential neighborhoods. The staff treated me very well, the room was clean, the night comfortable and quiet (but for a late night trash pick-up outside). The bathroom was okay, though the shower (no tub) had no shelf for soap, no bar for washcloth. On check out, the computer was down, so they couldn't give me a printed receipt, which I need. They promised to email one - haven't yet, two days later. We'll see. I will be calling them.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed one night Sept 12-13 ,2013.

I used TA to pick this hotel since I wanted to be close to JFK. There are MANY hotels in this area. I had the time so I looked over a lot of them staying under $150 a night. In this category , this Sleep Inn is the winner.

It was CLEAN , the staff was very courteous , the room was very nicely decorated and I didn't have any issues with airplane noise ( being close to the airport). The rooms are a little smaller than others I have stayed in but I didn't drive 200 miles for a room with plush sitting area.

The free breakfast opens at 6 am on weekdays and 7 am on weekends. We showed up 5 minutes early and they were ready to go. You could make waffles, they had scrambled eggs , sausage , various toast and pastries , cereal and juice. The entire room was clean and neat.

The TV in the breakfast room was on a foreign language channel but when we came in , the attendant changed it to an English speaking one.

The hotel looks pretty new ( Google Streetview showed it under construction). The parking lot wasn't very big but there was adequate on street parking directly behind the hotel.

It s a commercial street with a residential area behind. Not a bad neighborhood at all but it is part of New York City.

Overall a great price for a nice place. I will definitely stay here if I come back to this area.

Room Tip: While I was offered a first floor room , I always prefer an upper floor to the back. Less noisy foo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank campinguy16
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Highly recommend this hotel. Needed a place by JFK. Room was comfortable and very clean. Staff was very hospitable and graciously accommodating with my special requests. Excellent service. This will be my regular stop when traveling thru JFK.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Campinas, SP
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Clean and comfortable room, near JFK airport.
Nice staff at desk.
Free shuttle service from Federal Circle to hotel. Just called them and they picked us up.
Room appeared to be recently renovated. Bed was comfortable and clean. Bathroom with tub. Very clean.
Simple breakfast, but several food options. Space in breakfast room was small.
Neighborhood was little creepy.
There was a bus stop in front. Just bought a metro card in the shop next door and rode to Jamaica train station.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caproni
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We missed our connection flight due to bad weather and had to stay in JFK one night at very short notice. I searched TripAdvisor very quickly and decided to go for Sleep Inn (please be careful - this is the Sleep Inn at Rockaway Blvd, NOT the one on Liberty Avenue - they are about 4 km away but lots were confused!!!).

What a good decision that was. Free 24 hour shuttle from/to airport, great service at reception, and really nice room. The room was so nice that I thought we could actually happily stay there for a few nights! It's modern and clean - while it's a bit tight, it really isn't an issue. Wifi worked perfectly.

All in all, I would highly recommend such a lovely hotel near the airport. If we ever find ourselves stuck again, I would go straight to this one for sure!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple