“AUTHENTIC CARIBBEAN WEST INDIAN CUISINE”
Review of The Door

The Door
Ranked #1 of 419 Restaurants in Jamaica
Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I am a connoiseur of Caribbean and West Indian food having eaten that cuisine most of my lilfe and having lived & worked in the Caribbean for over 16 years.

There are many restaurants offering this type of fare. Don't be fooled, very few of them deliver authentic food choosing to take the shortcuts of canned product when authentic fare requires ingredients prepared from scratch. THE DOOR is the one restaurant where you can be sure to get the REAL THING. The taste and quality is consistent indicative of the stability of their chefs. The pricing is middle of the road. The clientele is always there assuring fresh food at all times.

There's nice variety in menu selection: seafood, chicken and meats. The Escaviche fish is particularly good if you like spicy; the OXTAIL is a favorite for most everyone. The rice and peas cooked with coconut milk is really delicious. There's also a variety of tropical drinks and desserts.

There's the option of TAKE OUT or SIT DOWN. The restaurant was recently remodeled and it's ambience is very nice and a good place to take company for dinner at a reasonable cost.
The staff is well-trained and, having dined there regularly, the staff appear to be with this restaurant for considerable amount of time which is a good sign that they're paid well.

All in all, THE DOOR comes highly recommended to anyone. the only reason I did not give this a 5* rating is because the wait for a table takes quite a while and phone reservations very rarely are honored when arriving to the establishment due to over-booking.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant serves some delicious Jamaican food. The brown stew fish was amazing. Don't miss this spot if you are in the area!

Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

The Door had me at first smell! Not only can you smell the food from the parking lot but it tastes just as good! And it's vegetarian friendly... Please try the brown stew tofu, it's amazing!!

2  Thank Lavina S
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I went here for the 1st time about 2 weeks ago. It was a group of us from our old High school. The place was well lit and the decor and atmosphere was also good. Our wait staff was every attentive to our needs and made sure that we were all ok. It was about 20 in attendance and they gave us a booth like seating, which was a lil crunched as we barely had enough room to move our arms ect ect

While the company was great and the food was good, I somehow didn't like the way the food was served. It was done in a family like way, as if you were at a Thanks Giving or Christmas dinner and you had to pass and move things along to make room for something else. They said it was a "Prix Fixe Menu" If it were the case, why wasn't each of our orders taken and then brought to us individually on it's own plate??!!

I think we spent too much time, passing each dish or something to the next person and not enough time to enjoy the meal itself. The food was good and I ate what I don't normally have at home, which was the curried goat. That was very good and I heard from my other colleagues that the stew fish and jerk chicken was also very good.

If I were to have dinner here again, it would not be with some many folks. The location is also in a very busy neighborhood. There is parking across the street, which is validated and I also found a parking lot directly behind the restaurant, which I understood was free parking. Not sure if it was ONLY on the weekends, but gates were open and cars were coming and going freely.
They area a busy restaurant fro sure, so reservations would be a great idea before heading there.

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I missed my flight and ended up having to stay in Jamaica overnight. This was the only good part about missing my flight. The food was so good that I will make a special trip from North Jersey to have some of this food. I had the bean and beef stew which was included with my meal. The escovetch fish? The brown stew chicken and black cake. All of which were delicious. The island music added to the ambiance and made me feel like I was away on an island even though I had missed my flight. Real authentic tasting Jamaican food!!!

1  Thank kettleNewYork