“Still scoring”

Best Western Jamaica Inn
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Fourth time around, no complaints although I missed breakfast al 7am due to early flight. It could be moved ahead half an hour. The guy in front desk never seemed annoyed by repeated my requests for help and kind of smile at check-out, even trying to have cordial conversation.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Considering the price and proximity to the subway its good. Filling breakfast but terrible gym with very little equipment and some not working. Can get noisy at night due to being next to expressway. Lots of laundries and restaurants close by. Just be aware they do not have an airport shuttle.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Winesingh
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

You shouldnt excpect a lot .its a decent place in new york not far from the airport -taxi costs about$20.our room was on the ground floor.not big but quiet.we didnt notice any dirt but it wasnt super clean. Bathroom ok.Breakfast always the same and rather poor.to get to manhattan you need about 40min by subway.there are two stations near the hotel.they had a good bargain thats why we chose it

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Gosia S
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Thank staff for the friendly welcome. We spent two nights at the hotel and we had a clean and charming room and a comfortable KIng size bed. The breakfast was good, excellent coffee and we really liked the waffles. A big thank you to Uma.
Only 5 min to the subway and 30/ 40 min to time square. Perfect.
We would gladly come back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Heidi R
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The cost of hotels in central New York were so expensive we found somewhere cheaper but further away. This hotel was only 450m from an "E" Metro line station and as a week's pass was only $31 we chose this hotel. However, a journey to 5th/53rd Street was 25 minutes and to the World Trade Centre, the best part of one hour. Longer if the trains went "local".
You have to decide.....with hindsight, the decision would be a close run thing. A good point (twice) is the proximity to JFK.......a $20 Yellow Cab ride.
You could easily walk (1.1km) to the Air Train link at Jamaica Station and then the fare is only $5 each.
The hotel area was described (not my words) as "solidly working class". It wasn't pretty but it wasn't threatening. You could see tree and flowers from our window!
The rooms were large enough (by European standards) but rather worn and old fashioned. We had a fridge and microwave in the room. The heating / aircon worked well as did the coffee maker.
The breakfast was 'solid' and by the end of six days I was in danger of looking like a bagel, muffin or waffle. A limited repertoire not especially to my taste but most guests seemed quite happy with what there was.
The hotel is purely a place to sleep. It was in a suburb with several "fast food" outlets nearby.
Not a good choice however, if you want sophisticated dining.
However, the staff were very friendly, the room was very clean and the WiFi was pretty fast.
I would recommend it to my friends but make clear the travel times to NY city.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mhbrooke
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for five days with my three teenagers. I have family in Queens, but they don't have enough room for all of us and we were traveling from Texas. This hotel was perfect for us. The rooms were very small, only enough room to just have a foot of space around the beds and furniture. But, I felt that the sheets and bathroom was very clean. The towels were horribly rough and small, but clean. There was a dorm size frig and microwave, small coat closet and free Wi-Fi. I was surprised that I couldn't really hear the highway noise, but I did brink ear plugs just in case. All of the other guests seemed pleasant and courteous. I was thrilled that there's free parking, they have their own, very well lit, parking lot; plus more parking in their underground lot. The front desk staff was super friendly and helpful... even offering to help me with my personal lap top problems! The free breakfast is good; including hard boiled eggs, toast, cereal, coffee, juice, pastries and make-your-own-waffles. Breakfast was very crowded in the early hour, but wasn't so much at the later hour. The staff there keeps it super clean and constantly refreshed with food. The "gym" wasn't great... three machines, one of which was out of order (week of 9/15/13) and it was not accessible at late hours. It's a block's walk from the Jamaica Van Wyck subway station (Westside of Van Wyck Expy Between Metropolitan Ave & 89th St) and I was thrilled that this station has a manned ticket booth which was so helpful to me to be able to ask questions. We were able to hop on the E train and take that all the way in to Manhattan to the World Trade Center 9/11 Memorial, only a 40 minute ride. The hotel is also a block's walk from Wendy's, McDonald's, Duncan Donuts, a Mexican restaurant and several others. The Wendy's manager (noticing we were "tourists") came out to greet us and give us coupons for the next morning's breakfast (we got a kick out of that). I grew up in NYC, so I am not naive about it being a "safe" area... no where is truly safe especially if you make yourself out to be a target... but this area was very comfortable for me. After dark, the homeless gather at the subway station entrance because there is a little park bench area around it, but they didn't bother us... they were too busy laughing and having a jolly conversation with each other. I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially if you are wanting to get into Manhattan to do the tourist areas. It's half to a fourth of the price of hotels in the city, close to both major airports and on the subway & bus lines.

Room Tip: I would not like to be placed in the rooms in the basement (the "SC" floor). They have win...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank listinak
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Realizing that ALL hotels in NY, and especially near the airports are WAY overpriced, you can only hope to not feel screwed when you pick one. Best Western Jamaica Inn should help. It's only a few miles from the airport - pretty easy to find. On a good day, that's just a 10-minute drive, but one of my days there, it took over an hour due to (an accident on the Van Wyck? construction further down the road? I never found out why.) Not the hotel's fault, but annoying.
Inside, you'll find an average 3-star hotel. It's a bit old, yet clean. The rooms are a little on the small side, but adequate for sleeping. The flat-panel TV is a nice size with an okay selection of channels. I was awoken early one morning (around 5AM) by the overpowering smell of pot smoke filling my room from a neighboring room; again, not exactly the hotel's fault. The next night I stuffed the bath towel at the base of my door, and whether that same guest was still there or not, I had no more early fire drills! Noise-wise, the room was quiet, despite being close to a major road and city streets. The parking lot looked like a risky bet, but I parked a rental there for 4 nights and occasionally looked out my window, and never found anything unusual or worrisome. My only true complaint would be that the water pressure in the bath/shower is weak, however the temperature control - which I rate as much more critical - was perfect. There is a pretty decent breakfast bar in the hotel, with a standard full-service selection of cereals, waffles, hard-boiled eggs, breads, some pastries, fruits, coffee & juice that will easily fill your belly until or well past lunch time.
All-in-all, you may be disappointed with the price, but you won't have much to complain about inside the hotel. It easily meets basic needs and expectations, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business