“Undesirable location”

Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Singapore, Singapore
“Undesirable location”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Only reason we stayed here for one night was we need to catch an early morning flight out of JFK. It is located along a service road next to a busy expressway between 2 subway stations. Didn't feel safe with the neighbourhood when checked in late at night, as even the front desk staff was behind some glass window for obvious reason.

The room with a King bed was quite small but clean generally. The rate for this Best Western is comparable to other better located places that I have stayed in Queens so I have no reason to stay here again given other choices.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Billy Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This place is very clean...area around hotel is safe and clean...next to expressway so get room in back...rooms are average but clean and cared for...priced right for location...I was on third floor...back rooms are higher numbers...310...411...lower numbers near front and elevator...wifi worked...flat screen tvs are not great quality...has HBO but not AMC...only 37 channels....CNN also...bathrooms are small and clean...only room for one person at a time...

Room Tip: See above for room tips
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ILvIndia
Salida, Colorado, United States
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We got this hotel for a great deal on a name your own price website. I couldn't have been happier! The rooms were updated and very clean - I was very pleasantly surprised at what I got for the price that I paid!!!! I would have expected to pay much more for this type of room. Even though this property is located beside the expressway, we could not hear any traffic noise at all. All of the front desk staff were extremely kind and very helpful with information. They were professional and courteous - much more than I expected for the price and the star rating!!! It is an easy walk to the subway and on a very convenient route for getting to the city. It was only $17.80 from the airport to the hotel by taxi and once there, we purchased a 7 day unlimited subway/bus Metro card for $29. This was an excellent place to stay in New York with convenience to everything we needed as well as great amenities and service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Alicia R
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed May 12, 2012

On our trip to the USA/Canada I was looking for a hotel close to JFK and with good transport options (e.g. the subway). The Best Western Jamaica Inn fitted this well - USD$15.00 by taxi. The Briarwood Van Wyck subway was about five minutes walk away, about thirty minute average ride to mid town Manhattan. We purchased a seven day Metro (subway) card for USD$29.00. we were staying for five days and four nights. The breakfast was more than we expected or had read about. Plenty of options - waffles (made yourself so very fresh and hot!), cereals, and fresh fruit, and toast, bagels - this breakfast was great to get us going for the day and all for FREE!!! We mostly were in Manhattan all days so only dined locally at the diner around the corner - what a great place that was as well - great food and service. All I can say is we had a great time and have nothing but praise for the Best Western Jamaica Inn and its staff. we were even able to check out at 1.00 pm as we had some last minute shopping to complete. I would recommend this everyone and would gladly stay there again. Return taxi cab ride was USD$20.00. I cannot believe some of the poor reviews her? Well done Best Western Jamaica Inn!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank APRS
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking for someplace reasonably priced with easy access to the sights of NYC. We were both flying into JFK but at different times, and after researching many options, I chose this hotel based on its proximity to both the airport and subway access as well as price and surroundings. The price through hotels.com was excellent, and the ease of access to both the airport and subway was very good. The surrounding area seemed better/nicer than the other options near this location and we felt safe walking the 5 minutes north to the subway station at Queens Blvd and Van Wyck. The staff was friendly and helpfull with all of our questions and our request for extra pillows and at checkout, a cab to the airport. They went above and beyond by letting my girlfriend check in several hours early from her flight. The room was comfortable and nicely equiped but a little noisey from traffic on Van Wyck and the carpet really needed to be cleaned or replaced. Perhaps an upper floor room toward the back would have been better. I would have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank navyrotorhead
Bermuda
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Good location and near to subways. Small grocer and deli within three minute walk. Very near to JFK Airport. Rooms are small, good for overnight stays and worth the price.

Room Tip: Continental Breakfast includes waffles, freshly made.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank badjaws
MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
Reviewed April 15, 2012

One of the worst hotel experience i'd ever in my life. The hotel was good with great reservation staff but to my horror, i'd a terrible experience with the bed bugs. They were so dangerous that by the time i'd stayed there for four nights, i'd more than 3-4 marks in face with one deep scar on the head. I'd to consult a doctor after that.
In my life wherein i'd traveled to more than 20 countries, this was the firs time, i'd to face such a horror.

I must be honest that apart from bed bugs , all things was quite good including breakfast , reception etc but i'll never repeat this hotel at the cost of my health.

On writing this incidence to Best Western, there was no satisfactory response and it was sad!!

Anyways, i'll request people to enquire about the bed bug problem before checking in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business