“Good Airport Hotel”

Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Airport Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had an overnight lay-over at JFK. Front desk was very helpful with helping us determine departure time from hotel to make our int'l flight. There is a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and back again. Clean and not far from JFK.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Agoura Hills, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed there with my young son in 2005. It was a clean, modern, comfortable hotel with great shower heads and cinnamon rolls. As a hotel, it was nicer than the more expensive one we stayed at in Manhattan. When I booked it, however, I had no idea in what a scary neighborhood it was located. You are effectively sentenced to the hotel grounds after the sun sets. I would not recommend it as a vacation destination but I strongly recommend it as a hotel convenient to JFK Airport for a day or two.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MSF56
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
MSF56,

Thank you for writing about your return visit to my property. I was delighted to read that you found our rooms “clean, modern, and comfortable with a great shower.” Since we are in such close proximity to JFK airport the area immediately surrounding the hotel is a light commercial area. However one little known fact about Jamaica Queens is Baisley Pond Park located only a few minutes from the hotel. Baisley Pond Park is a scenic public green space in Jamaica, Queens spanning more than 100 acres and offering a number of recreational facilities including tennis courts, a running track, football field, walking and biking paths. Baisley Park’s large lake supports a diverse habitat for wildlife.

The area around the hotel is safe but we always recommend basic precautions when traveling.
I am glad that you found my associates to be helpful and that you enjoyed our complimentary full hot breakfast buffet.

Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Firstly I would like to praise the staff who checked us in , they were polite and friendly and the porter/security chap took all our suitcases to the room and declined a tip saying it was his job! This guy needs a pay rise he was great and a refreshing change to other hotels. The rooms are average size, clean and modern bathroom. The air con was very noisy and the room smelt a little musty which I am sure is from the air con, the hotel is very noisy as people are coming and going all night but this is the point of the hotel. Breakfast was early 5-9 and lots of people descended at 8.50 and scrambled to get food before it was all locked away on the dot of 9! A little flexibility or later closure would be better. There were snacks for sale at reception and lemon water free during the day. Lots of NYC info to pick up and FREE wifi. For one night it is fine.

1 Thank arizona71
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
arizona71,

I sincerely appreciate the time you took to write about your recent visit to my property. We do start serving our full complimentary hot breakfast buffet at 5AM each morning and we do end service at 9AM. We had actually changed the hours for breakfast based on comments from our guests who were flying out early in the morning. The suite shop in our lobby has been a new addition to the hotel. We feature various healthy beverages and assorted ready to eat meals in addition to snacks. Public transportation is extremely easy to navigate to get into and out of Manhattan. Thank you for recommending our property and we look forward to your next visit.

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I'm about to check out in the next few hours so I want to go ahead and leave my review while it's fresh. Starting with the shuttle, everything was excellent. The shuttle arrived at fed circle within ten minutes, enough time to grab a smoke after my flights from Dubai and Moscow. Driver was courteous and timely, and didn't drive like a maniac.

Upon check-in, it was discovered that somehow my reservation had been canceled, but given how it was handled I didn't get upset. Cindie was understanding and told me if she couldn't find me a room here they would find one near by at a competitive rate. She found a room on site, and after a bit of digging to find the hotel's government rate, I was in my room. Was a little bummed as I had originally booked a king room, they put me in a two double. But it's just a place to lay my head afterall. The room is small, but not too bad, if a little worn, which I expected being an airport hotel. Clarisa was also helpful! And Amanda was a hottie! Also incredibly helpful and friendly, even gave me a local pizza place as a recommendation, but they don't deliver to this hotel, no worries on that though.

I went downstairs later for a smoke and met Saul, who was giving beer to guests. Some sort of managers reception I assume, no matter as I'll take free beer any day! Saul was friendly and seemed to take his management role seriously, a good thing.

Back to the room. I took a star for two reasons. One, the air conditioner is quite noisy, and woke me up once or twice, and the tv remote was barely working. Other than that, the bed was comfy, sheets clean, no stains on the carpet, plenty of towels, hot water.

Breakfast area was clean and well stocked, and the food was hot and tasty. Hotel breakfasts can be hit or miss, and, for being a continental as opposed to a made to order, this one hit the spot!

So all in all I enjoyed my stay, and will use this property in the future when I may be laidover in JFK. I only wish I'd have gotten Amanda's number as I come back through in a few weeks but will be staying in Times Square. Oh well!

Thanks to all the staff and management for a flawless stay, it's nice to see hotels in the midrange that still go the extra mile for their guests!

Steve

• Stayed August 2013
Steve,

Thank you for writing such a detailed review of my property. I was delighted to read that you had such a wonderful experience starting with the shuttle ride to the hotel. Our complimentary shuttle runs 24 hours a day to and from JFK Airport. I am glad that my front office associates were able to rectify the issue with your cancelled reservation and accommodate you with one of our newly renovated rooms. Our hotel is completely a smoke free environment but we did create a smokers oasis with a bench outside of the property. I am happy that you enjoyed our complimentary manager’s reception and were able to have an ice cold beer. We host a manager’s reception every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 6PM to 9PM. We typically serve draft beer, assorted sodas and various appetizers. I have to agree with your assessment of my complimentary full hot breakfast buffet. Our hot cinnamon rolls are world famous and extremely tasty.

Thank you for recommending my property and we all look forward to your next visit from Dubai.

Bursa/Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

This Hollıday Inn Hotel has a good locatııon.V ery close to JFK aırport, has a often shuttle service.But rooms are small and bad smell.Breakfast not so rıch.And breakfast salon so so small.Prıces so expensıve,and I dont understand the meanıng of the hıgh prıces.Some of the stuff helpfull.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Doğaduru,

I truly appreciate the time you took to write about your recent experiences at my property. We are actually a great value as a New York City Hotel. We provide a complimentary full hot breakfast buffet each morning from 5 AM to 9AM. Our shuttle runs 24 hours a day to and from JFK airport and we provide complimentary WI-FI throughout our property. I am glad you found our staff helpful and that you found our location very convenient to JFK airport.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed here overnight while waiting for our flight out of JFK. I had read previous reviews on the hotel, so I was aware that there were no shops or restaurants around. Staff supplied me with menus from local restaurants that delivered to the hotel. The food I ordered arrived on time and was delivered hot. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Michael, from front desk, was informative with taxi information, from LaGuardia Airport to the Hotel. He also looked after my room requests, as I was traveling with children and my elderly mother. Shuttle service to JFK ran on time and the driver was courteous. This hotel is perfect as an airport hotel, used for a short layover.

Medellin, Colombia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've never understood why JFK, the major international gateway to one of the world's most important hubs seems to maintain a feeling of grittiness and functionality over form and design. From the buses that take you into town, to the long winding lines for the taxis JFK never ever makes you feel as if you are somewhere special.
The HI is reached from the Federal Circle Air Train station. Then the bus takes you out between the runways and the hangars to an area full of non descript airport hotels. They all look rather cookie cutter and none has great appeal.
Inside the staff are helpful but the atmosphere is of a badly lit government facility (think DMV) cold and containing nothing beyond a few functional drink and snack machines. The design is poor needing a trip down one floor in one elevator and then up another set of elevators to get to the rooms from the lobby.
The rooms are basic, clean - but in our case smelling of smoke. The wifi worked as did the TV but this is a place to sleep and nothing more.
The cost for the room, booked some weeks in advance was just under $200. For that it didn't feel value and it certainly didn't feel special. The overriding feeling is that all of the competition is probably as bad and as soulless.
Presumably most people just buy on price, but a little more effort, some better lighting, some better food choices (see the similar property at Newark airport) would make a lot of difference. It's the sort of place that you might return to again - if you had to - but it wouldn't be with any great deal of pleasure.
As indicated the staff are fine but someone needs to show a little imagination and work a little on the feeling of this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PhileasFoggontour
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear PhileasFoggontour,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.