“No liked”

Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
Carolina, Puerto Rico
“No liked”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was only one night later long travel from London. But the room had a strong smell of damp and the carpet looked dirty. Is true that they area renovating the hotel but the price to pay is not worth the place, besides what had breakfast rated as excellent and gave it 4 1-10. Very friendly staff. Tripadvisor recommendati ons not do it justice.

Room Tip: After remodel maybe is good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Lelisan,

I appreciate the time you took to write a review of my property. I was happy to see that you found my associates to be “very friendly.” We do offer significant value for a New York City property as we include a complimentary full hot breakfast buffet from 5AM to 9AM and complimentary high speed internet access. Our renovations are almost completed and should be finished by the end of June. The carpet and wall vinyl is being replaced in all our guest rooms. We have scheduled the work to cause minimal impact on the guest experience.

If your travel plans bring you back to the JFK area, stop by the hotel so you can see the improvements that have been made first hand.

Brent A. Hnatow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 12, 2013

There are not many options for affordable rooms close to JFK. But if that is what you need this property does a great job at making the stay enjoyable. They hosted a great managers reception with food and drinks. AND...when I mistakenly left behind a suit coat in the closet of my room, Mike and the other members of the staff team went out of their way to locate my jacket and mail it at their own expense across the country to my home. They go the extra mile! I'll be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
CKFISH Travel,

My front office associate Michael was tickled pink that he was recognized for providing outstanding service. We truly appreciate you sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. Our weekly manager reception is always a fun evening. We look forward to your next visit.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 12, 2013

my girlfriend and I stayed here before a long trip to Europe.We wanted to kill time in the city. Tanesha was very helpful checking us in and calling us a cab, even advised us on places to go. The manager Amit was very knowledgeable about giving us directions to get back by subway. had a great day in the city,walked back in to fresh baked cookies.Had a quiet night,woke up for a great breakfast.the shuttle was on time,dropped us at our terminal.would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mighty M,

Thank you for writing about your recent experience at my property. Tanesha and Amit were on cloud nine at being recognized by one of our guests. I am glad you were able to explore the city before departing on your trip to Europe. We look forward to your return visit.

San Sebastian, Puerto Rico
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stay in this hotel on May 31,2013 for one night. I selected this particular hotel to stay because
of the reviews that I read on Trip Advisor.
When we open the door to the room that we were assign,you could smell the bad odor of humidity inside the room. The smell was terrible. We did not complaint or ask for another room because we we were tired from a trip from London.
The room carpet look dirty and in need of a good cleaning.
The breakfast is also over rated because it is not what you read on the reviews.
I respect the opinion of all reviewers, but my humble opinion is that reviewers are over rating this hotel by a lot.
I also think that this is an over price hotel for what you get in return. I notice that they are renovating the hotel. Maybe once the hotel is renovated,it is a different story.
There are positives to the hotel. The staff is very courteous and the bus service to the airport is excellent too.
My advice to travelers is, if you can afford a better hotel do not come to this one until the renovation is finish and new travelers have a chance to see the improvements.

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Montypass,

I do apologize that your room had a malodorous emanation but I can assure you that your experience was the exception rather than the norm. I have addressed your comments from your review with my housekeeping associates. Our hotel is currently going thru a remodel as we refresh our property. The wall vinyl, carpet, art work and lighting is all being replaced. We have fully completed three floors and will be finished by the end of June with the entire project. We have scheduled the work to have minimal impact on the guest experience. As a New York City property we do offer significant value as we have complimentary parking, Wi-Fi, as well as a full hot breakfast buffet served from 5AM to 9AM each morning. We also provide transportation to and from JFK airport. I was delighted to read that you found my associates to be courteous. The reviews written about my property are from a broad spectrum of travelers who have provided an honest assessment of the property and who realize the great value we provide.

If your travel plans bring you back to the JFK area, stop by so you can see the improvements that have been made first-hand.

Brent A. Hnatow

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

Chatham, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 2, 2013

From the outside i was not sure what to expect. However when I walked in to the lobby and there was ice cold water and fresh baked cookies. I walked to the desk and was warmly greeted by Michael. He was GREAT! He gave me spot on directions to the city, and to the door of the building that I was going to.
The room was new and fresh, and the breakfast was great. They had everything you could expect from a hotel free breakfast. The cinnamon buns were out of this world! I will use this hotel in the future when traveling in and out of the city. Thanks again Michael for everything! To Rosanna and the rest of the staff keep up the good work and hope to see you soon.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are bran new
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
MFS41499,

I want to personally thank you for sharing your experiences with the TripAdvisor community. I was not surprised that you gave us a perfect five star review. As the General Manager I am only as good as the associates that I have working with me. I am truly blessed to have both Michael and Rosanna working with me. They truly are consummate hospitality professionals. I have shared your review with them and they were jubilant that a guest signaled them out for special recognition. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Geneeral Manager
Rugby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night before catching a morning flight from JFK. I loved everything about this hotel. On arrival I found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. Plus there was an event on which was giving out free beer, soft drinks and snacks.

After going to find my room my key card didn't work, so I had to head back downstairs. Sadly this happened a second time as well. However the staff were very apologetic, and ordered me anything I wanted from their selection of takeaway menus as compensation. The key card incident was only a small inconvenience and I was very impressed by the hotels commitment to great service.

When I did get into my room it was perfect. It had a comfortable bed with a selection of pillows, a desk and a clean bathroom. Exactly what I want!

After checkout I got the free shuttle to JFK airport which was easy and quick. The driver continued the fantastic service by checking where I was going to and making sure I was at the right terminal.

Overall this hotel was fantastic! Couldn't have been happier. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Sean E,

Thank you for highly recommending our property to all our future guests on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed our weekly manager’s reception. We always try to feature a different New York brewed draft beer to sample. My housekeepers pride themselves on our clean guest rooms and our shuttle drivers are very adept at navigating our guests to the right terminal.

We look forward to your next visit.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Even as it was only a one night stopover to catch a connecting flight, I found this hotel to suit my requirements.
Excellent staff, and even management was present,when I checked in at around 5pm. they assisted me with directions to get to Manhattan for dinner that night. Check in was painless with even a warm cookie to enjoy during check in.
Trip into Manhattan took 60minutes from hotel desk to 7th and 52nd station. Took hotel shuttle to Airtrain, then onto Jamaica station and then E train into Manhattan ($7.50 one way all incl)
Room was right next lift but this did not bother. Room and bathroom clean and big large screen.

A real winner is the breakfast included. Note plates and cutlery disposable as expected in the US. Good coffee and some prepared sausage and omelettes (reminds you of those they serve on long distance flights). Yoghurt and cereals also available. I suggest go for the fresh hot cinnamon rolls.

For the price you pay per night I think this is a good value for money hotel option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
PHL,

Thank you for writing a perfect five star review of my property. Our hotel is not only convenient to JFK airport but also Manhattan via public transportation as you had experienced firsthand. I am glad you enjoyed our complimentary full hot breakfast buffet which we serve from 5AM to 9AM. I would agree that the fresh hot cinnamon rolls are great. We look forward to your next visit.