“Perfect for small trips!”

Fairfield Inn New York JFK Airport
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
São Paulo
“Perfect for small trips!”
Reviewed July 2, 2010

I'm actually writting this review from my room at the Fairfield Inn. I'm here in NY only for 2 nights and I chose an airport hotel to save $. I completally relied on the reviews from trip advisor and the hotel is pretty much everything it was described: the hotel is very clean, the room is great and confortable (microwave, plasma tv and free wi-fi) and they have an ok continental breakfast.
I've read many complaints about the noise at night but I didn't experience this tonight. In fact, I only heard some few street sounds (cars passing by).
Everybody knows everything costs a lot in Manhantan, so staying a little far away from the city, but close to the subway , is worth it! You can come and go to the airport using the complimentary hotel shuttle and then, take the subway to the city. It takes a while, but, again, if you want to safe a few $ I think is a nice choice. From the city back to the hotel it is better to take a taxi (MUCH faster and only costs US$35). You can also ask to the hotel about a bus the pick up guests (to Manhantan, Penn Station and Grand Station) for only US$15. Also, a great deal!
By being close to the airport I only expected the fares to be a little lower (I paid U$209 for a night). Also, there are not many options to eat around here. My sugestion is to grab a bit at the airport or buy things from the grocery store close by and bring it to the hotel (I found the prices at the hotel restaurant a little over rated for some basic options).
But again, this is a very nice hotel for short periods and I would come back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Do not stay at this hotel if you expect to get any sleep.
We were very disappointed with our stay at this hotel the night before an early flight from JFK. The windows are able to keep out the noise from aircraft but are NO match for the unbelievabley loud noise coming from the trucking business located immediately behind the hotel. When we checked in the desk clerk noted that we had asked for a quiet room on our reservation and he said "I have a quiet one for you at the back of the hotel." I guess he has never been any where near the back of the hotel. Very large trucks came and went all night long getting loaded with some kind of pressurized gas. When we had to get up at 4AM they were still arriving. We literally got not one minute of sleep. When I was checking out I mentioned this to the morning desk clerk and and he said "Yes, we got a lot of complaints about this noise."
I cannot believe that there is no sound ordinance in place to deal with noise this loud -- at least to limit it to the day light hours. The Hotel Manager also happened to be at the desk when we checked out and when we said something to him he answered very rudely "What do you expect me to do about it? This is a commercial area."
It is too bad because this is a very nice, clean, new hotel conveniently located near the airport. We certainly don't plan to stay here again if we can help it!

1 Thank csmarks
Guernsey
Reviewed June 18, 2010

OK, I admit that I'm a fussy Brit but this was dire for the price.

Paid almost $20 for pasta primavera which didn't come in a sauce but in a tomato coloured soup. Breakfast was totally plastic, the only things which didn't come in plastic packets were the bagels, the oranges and apples.

The air-conditioning unit was very noisy and there didn't appear to be any ability to have it on a quieter/lower level. The safe was still locked from the last guest. The shower was a dribble. The internet might have been free but it kept giving up.

So, no, definitely wouldn't recommend this, particularly for $180 a night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Maryland
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Not a location I would choose to visit again if it wasn't for a business trip, and Fairfields are generally not my first choice, however if I had to stay at or near JFK, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

My room was on the second floor and faced the temporary parking for when people are checking in. It's also where people gathered outside to smoke. But it didn't bother me at all.

The business center was super convenient, I used their computers several times. Dinner including salads and dessert at the restaurant was delicious and much better than I expected it to be.

Breakfast was expansive; morning staff was friendlier than evening staff.

Room was super clean and comfortable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ForeverMaui
London
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I cannot see how this hotel can be worth using for any price if one cannot get some sleep. Firstly, the curtains don't meet in the middle by about 1 meter and therefore let in light from outside street lights and early morning sunlight. Secondly, a trucking business is located right next door to the hotel, with trucks revving up at 2 in the morning.

Like most airport hotels, it is located close to the airport in an ugly industrial/poor residential area, so no pluses there. If you intend getting some sleep and/or seeing NYC, you may as well get a city centre hotel that charges that extra wollop of money.

1 Thank John_01011900
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed May 26, 2010

The hotel had adequate rooms with everything that you needed, and more importantly, everything worked. The staff was very friendly and seemed to want to do anything that you asked to make your stay more enjoyable. This extended to the two shuttle bus drivers who were very helpful as I had to pick someone up who is not familiar with the JFK terminals.

Had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel and even though it didn't look like much, I had a great chicken piccata, while my girlfriend had an equally as good eggplant parmesan.

Definitely a nice airport hotel with all the amenities one could need for an overnight stay between flights.

1 Thank BrianinMD
London
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Stayed here for one night before an early morning transatlantic flight from JFK.

The shuttle bus was very prompt and the driver courteous and efficient. Check-in was prompt and friendly, with the complimentary cookie of course! My room was very clean with a fast wireless internet connection, a fridge, microwave, iPod dock/clock radio and big TV.

The hotel has a bar open until 11PM and a restaurant open until 10PM - I didn't try either of these (they looked a little soul-less to me).

When I left on the 5.30AM shuttle bus the driver was again cheerful and even waited whilst I got my complimentary coffee. The bus goes straight to each terminal as well, rather than just to the shuttle bus point on the Skytrain (which I believe some other hotel buses do).

This is not an amazing romantic getaway or a fancy hotel, but it is an extremely efficient and convenient choice when flying from JFK. As someone who would far prefer to take a daytime flight when coming back to the UK from the US, I am sure I'll stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business