“Problems for such a short stay” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Hotel JFK Airport

Radisson Hotel JFK Airport
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Problems for such a short stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I wasn't in the hotel for even 6 hours (a very late arrival and a subsequent redeye flight out of JFK), but I noticed a couple of problems. One, my room reeked of stale smoke. After being up for 24 hours, and with only a few hours to get some sleep, I ignored the smell, and fell asleep quickly, as I was completely exhausted. If I had to stay any longer, I certainly would have requested (demanded?) a change of rooms.

Also, there were considerably more people wanting to take the 6:30 am shuttle than the vehicle could possibly accommodate. Because I was flying Delta, I and a few others "won", and could take that shuttle. Anyone who was scheduled on another airline had to wait until the next shuttle arrived (granted, the driver requested backup, but I have no idea how long that took for another vehicle to show up).

Given a choice, I'll probably try and find another hotel next time, should I need to stay somewhere around JFK for another overnight stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DLNOLA
Denis Z, Manager at Radisson Hotel JFK Airport, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review and share your comments regarding your stay. Your comments regarding your room though disturbing will be addressed with all sincerity. We do see a high volume of traffic being a busy airport hotel but that does not take away from us making sure guests like you feel at home even if it is a layover from a delayed flight. We will correct the issues you bring up and look forward to serving you in the near future.

Yours in Hospitality,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
nassau,bahamas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I booked this hotel through Expedia because it was on sale one night ($150/night) and I always try to stay at a different JFK hotel to get a feel for them as much as possible. I've stayed at the La Quinta, Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn and now this Radisson (as of Mid Oct) and this being the most expensive of them all (regular price) it was definitely NOT the best experience. Normally I read a lot of reviews before booking but just went for this one because of the name and price.....and after booking then seeing the last 10 reviews under me I got really nervous.
My experience wasn't nearly as bad as others. The negatives:
-shuttle from the airport took at least 30 mins for pickup. considering it literally takes less than 10 mins to get there i dont know why this service is so inefficient.
-no free breakfast- (but this is known from the time of booking)
-rooms are older and need updating
-personally, one of the packages I sent to the hotel couldn't be found. I dont really blame them for this though...seller and shipper fault.
-in room AC was really loud and the room temp didnt seem to correspond to what you set the thermostat at....strange.

The positives:
-free wifi
-my check in was quick and easy
-they held my packages with no issue
-shuttle TO the airport was on time and efficient and driver was pleasant.
-clean, comfortable room for the most part.

All in all, it wasn't a bad experience but I wouldn't go back if i had other choices at the same price. Unless you're a loyalty member or something I would say better choices in this area are definitley the Best Western or Holiday Inn Exp.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bahamalady
Denis Z, Manager at Radisson Hotel JFK Airport, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Feedback positive or negative helps for constructive future guest stays and we appreciate you bring the areas that we failed in so that we can have corrective measures in place.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit. We appreciate your kind words on our location and amenities and we will use your comments on our decor as we constantly look for ways to improve our experience.
We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest room is an area we are actively examining. We welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share and hope you will return to visit in the near future.

Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I wasn't looking for anything fancy, just a clean comfortable place to sleep prior to an early morning flight. Check in was very slow even though there were very few people on line and what seemed to be enough staff. Upon going up to my room the door was propped open, a maid came running up saying she was dropping off towels. She was pleasant enough, but just left a pile of them on the chair in the room. Why would they direct me to a room that wasn't ready? (it was also past 10 PM at this point) Fine, not a huge deal, but not the best first impression. Upon pulling back the covers the bed was covered in hairs and the hair trend continued in the shower and bathroom floor. (see photos) There was also a lovely cobweb collection hanging from the ceiling above the bed and a fine layer of dust over most of the surfaces. It was late and at that point I decided to stick it out but I was severely skeeved at the thought of what uncleanliness I couldn't see. Could hear our next door neighbors and loud traffic all evening. (pumping the ac helped) To top off the experience, our night breakfast order (the kind you hang on the door) was never picked up- we realized this as we waited and waited for it to arrive and finally checked outside the door. It also took 3 calls to the front desk in the morning to get anyone to answer the phone. NEVER EVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NYTravels9
Denis Z, Manager at Radisson Hotel JFK Airport, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay. We appreciate your honest feedback about your over all experience with out hotel. Your review provides feedback that our hotel team needs to re-evaluate guest needs and better meet guest expectations.
We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality hospitality we stand for should you return in the near future.

Yours in Hospitality,

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I had the pleasure to stay at the JFK Radisson the weekend of Oct. 10th. This was the 1st weekend of a brand changeover, so of course the service was a little slow. The ladies at the front desk handled the crowd with dignity and respect and continued to keep their cool in the midst of angry guests.
I was completely shocked to hear some of the things coming out of parent's and guest's mouths, especially around their children. There was swearing and name-calling, (a desk agent left to get a manager and the guest started screaming " WHERE'S BLONDIE??")
Aside from the wait in the lobby, the entire guest experience was above par. The desk agents were kind and understanding and I would definitely stay here again. I hope everything is going better for them and they have it under control now.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank That G
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderfully detailed review. We are sure every future guest reading this will find it very helpful. It is a pleasure to hear that you had a great experience with our staff and with our hotel as a whole. We greatly appreciate your amazing review of our property and staff. You have pinpointed exactly what we strive so hard to offer Excellent service!

Bogota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I feel as I was robbed.

1. Dirty rooms with tobacco smell.
2. Disrespectful personnel. The bellboys raise their voice up to the guests...It is incredible.
3. The shuttle it's old, dirty and the driver doesn't know any about courtesy.
4. They will ROB you 3 dollar per bag if you ask for baggage storage service.

Their $180 USD rooms doesn't worth more than $20.

NEVER GO TO THIS PLACE..Is not a Radisson neither a Hilton Hotel.. is Just a vulgar hotel for the most unpleasant stay you can imagine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Manuel K
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry you were unhappy with the hotel service. The issues you bring up are disturbing and our Management is looking into the same.
In an on going effort to improve guest stays we have our team train with attitude experts to address people skills.
We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Booked this room back in september and prepaid for the low rate of 180 for one night for the Doubletree. I usually read reviews, but didn't on this one for some reason. I guess we were just looking for a convenient hotel to the airport and I've never had a problem with hilton. My husband told me the hotel had changed names. We never got any notification from the hotel that the name had changed. I called hilton and they explained that this particular hotel was a franchise. The owner paid to have the hilton name and then dropped it. I got the impression the hotel is still under the same owner and management. If you read the historical reviews, nothing changed for the better with the name change. Hilton had no available rooms in other locations so we were stuck here. We stayed on oct 12 for one night since we were flying out of jfk early. After driving through some bad areas to get to the actual hotel, we drove our car up to valet, he told us to go inside and get a ticket. there was no organization around parking between the front desk and valet. We went inside to find a line and waited for about an hour. While we were waiting I overheard what the problem was. All reservations made thru hilton were "lost". I guess since our reservation was an advanced purchase and they had their money, we were able to get our room. A woman from Hilton stayed on the phone with me to make sure i still had a room. THAT is customer service. The other guests weren't so lucky. I felt so bad. The girls at the front desk were taking all the abuse. Security guard was a jerk. management refused to come out. Everyone was just rude. We then had to go back outside and wait in line for the valet to give him our ticket for our car. We had a few beers that were pretty expensive at the bar and watched the line in the lobby get longer and angrier. The room itself was clean and comfortable, no complaints there. We didn't want to miss our flight so we drove to the airport and parked instead of experiencing the park and fly shuttle. There's gotta be a better place then this near the airport

Room Tip: make sure you have one
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We are extremly sorry to read of your disappointing stay with us. Thank you for informing us about the inconveniences you faced during your stay with us. We will be sure to work on finding better solutions in these areas for the future.
Please also know we take your critical feedback very seriously and have followed up with the concern department regarding your comments.It is by listening to our guests that we are able to attain our goal for service excellence, which allows us to maintain exceptional service.

Pelham, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

It's my understanding that this hotel as of October 9/10, 2013 is now a Radisson. I hope that they close it for renovations and training as on the early morning 12:15 am, October 8, it took over 1/2 hour for two Front Desk people to check in 6 couples three of whom had to return to the Front Desk because their keys didn't work!

While the bed was comfortable, the room itself was dark with peeling wallpaper that didn't have a very fresh smell. The bathroom was very small.

The Hilton Garden Inn "comped" us at this hotel because they gave away our Guaranteed Late Arrival room that was part of a 14 Day Park and Fly package.

A stay at the Marriott would be a better choice all around. They don't have the Park and Fly package though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Denis Z, Manager at Radisson Hotel JFK Airport, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review of your stay. We appreciate your feedback about the overall experience with the hotel. Your review provides feed back that our hotel team needs to re-evaluate guest needs and better meet guest expectations. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality hospitality we stand for should you return to the area in the near future.